Zero gravity recliners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
These zero gravity patio recliners seem to be the hottest thing out there now, for campground lounging anyway.  I'd really like to get one or two, but the price tags I'm seeing are keeping me from pulling the trigger just yet.  Can anyone who owns one give me a review of how good these things are?  I didn't know if these were just glorified bag chairs, or if there's really something that makes them worth $50+ and a lot more some places I'm seeing.  Also if anyone knows of any hot deals out there on these things, please share.  ;)

We got ours from Cabelas, it is one of my favorite camping accessories.

I wake early even on weekends, sometimes upwards of 2 hrs before my wife and kids.  I take my iPhone or a book or magazine and recline under the awning and usually doze of again for a while.  Often times in the afternoon I will do the same thing.

I dont know that i would pay $100+ for the LaFumas, but $60 at Cabelas was worth every penny.

Being curious, I googled 0 Gravity Recliners. Hmmmmm......... we have a couple of those already. But...... why are they called 0 Gravity Recliners? If I were in the market now for them I would look for  sturdy locking levers that will lock the recliner in any position and not allow it to move. The recliners we  now own have  levers that is do not do an efficient job of securing the recliner in its multiple recline modes. :-\,  Perhaps it has something to do with the amount of dollars spent in the purchase of said 0 recliners? ::)

The hype that the sales people come up with to separate us from our money never ceases to amaze and amuse me. Here is what Lafuma says about "Zero Gravity" chairs

What is a Zero  Gravity Recliner?
A zero gravity recliner is a chair that allows you to rest  with your  feet raised higher than your heart. By extending your lower legs and    feet above your heart, the load on your spine is reduced, allowing your    vertebrae to decompress after a full day of walking, standing, and  sitting  upright.
If you do a search for zero gravity recliners, you'll often  find  references to NASA and a seating position that recreates astronauts'  posture at liftoff. However, it's worth  noting that in 1954 - before  NASA was even founded - the Lafuma brothers were  busily designing and  creating the world's first zero gravity recliner. Indeed, Lafuma was the  first to patent the  technology in the mid 20th century.
Sitting in the zero gravity position provides not only the  most  comfortable seating position imaginable; it also provides numerous    benefits for your health and general well-being.

Gee, I didn't know they used camping chairs on the space shuttle!  ;D  And I didn't know that term before yesterday either, but I saw that's how the item was labeled at Menard's yesterday.  $59.99 there too, still a little high for my budget.  I don't know if different, more expensive models have different features (like a locking level mentioned above) or superior padding of some kind.

We love our $60 Zero Gravity Recliners we bought from Sports Authority last year.  The upside is they are very comfortable and have a hanging accessories pocket, but the downside is that they are heavy and bulky.  We transport them in the bedroom of of our motorhome as our underneath storage is full.

One is the regular size, and the other is a "large" size....for me!

We've had Lafuma chairs for years.  We wore out 2 regular chairs but still have 2 recliners.  Never thought of the as zero gravity chairs, but they do recline quite a bit.  Ours have locks to keep the recliner in any position.  Both have had the seat fabric replaced and we'll do it again when it wears out.  They really are comfortable, and worth the price, in my opinion.

So is Lafuma the brand that pioneered that outdoor recliner design?  Unfortunately theirs range from $109.99 - $279.99, so I'll likely have to go with the retail knockoff.  Hoping to find a sale on those for $40-50 and pick up two.

Be sure to sit in the chair(s) before buying. I didn't realize Ned had Lafuma when I tried that brand in a store and thought it wasn't very comfortable for me. I ended up buying the Ekornes brand that a number of forum members have, but only after trying many of their styles and sizes. One style/size definitely does not fit all. Unfortunately, they weren't $40-$50.

I don't know if Lafuma pioneered the outdoor recliner but they have been around for a long time.  We got our first ones when we bought the coach in 1997 using a gift certificate from the dealer.  The next time we recover them, we're getting the mesh style fabric, it's cooler to sit in.

Lafuma is in Europe but the US distributor is in N. Ft. Myers, FL, and we have bought replacement parts from them several times.

Definitely try any chair before buying, I've found some that I didn't like but others might find acceptable, as Tom says.  I do think price correlates to quality and comfort in most furniture.

Im just curious, is the Ekornes Stressless Euro recliner considered a 0 gravity chair? We had ordered on about 3 weeks ago for the coach and it takes 16 weeks to get it. I an not sure if the foot rest is above the heart in the fully reclined position but we liked the construction of the chair and foot stool.

We bought Cabela's brand a couple years ago. We enjoy them more than any others we have had over the years. Cabela's prices can be a bit high, however, I use their credit card which builds cash value to use for purchases at the store and then head there to shop. And yes I do pay the balance in full each month.

I have no idea if it's considered a zero gravity chair, but the otto probably isn't high low enough. For me, the Ekornes Stressless was a good compromise between a recliner and an office chair. It sure beat the alternatives.

Attachments

• sofa_table.jpg
    sofa_table.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 65
  • desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 52
  • chair.jpg
    chair.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 57
I have had one for a couple of months and it's great!  I got a Gander Mountain brand one because I could sit in it in the store before buying to make sure it was comfortable.  Had to drop $100 on the XL version because I'm a fairly large guy so I was afraid the normal sized ones would start to feel cramped after a while.

Until my trailer is done, it's being used in my living room so I have used it a lot during that two months too. :)

Edit: And FWIW, I find it totally worth the money.  I hate the folding bag chairs, maybe because of my height, so even though these take up a lot more space it's worth it to me.

Like Ned, we've had our LaFumas since sometime in the 90s.  Bought them at Herb's Hardware in QZ for over $100 ea.  Back then, they were the only ones of their kind you could buy.  Since then we've seen many knock-offs, at varying sizes and qualities.  FWIW, The frames and fabrics seem far less sturdy than ours and the fact we can get replacement parts handily is a plus.  Because we now reside in AZ, we find the sun is eating up the fabric attachment strings far faster than we like.  We just have to remember to bring them indoors more often.  ;)

Daisy 

We've had our Ekornes about 5 years now, wouldn't be without it. Most models come in 3 sizes; moma bear, papa bear and big ;D . The seating height and width of the chair increases as you go up the model. Makes for a custom fit and are super comfortable. We've sat in the Flexsteel Euro chairs that come in many coaches and there is no comparison. On my chair, the ottoman is slightly lower than the seat of the chair (we have the big size) so it really won't keep your feet above your heart.

Bernie,

When we last compared notes, I thought we bought the same model and size as you. We bought the mid size, but don't recall what Ekornes called it.

Tom said:
Bernie,

When we last compared notes, I thought we bought the same model and size as you. We bought the mid size, but don't recall what Ekornes called it.

Tom, do you actually think I can remember that far back? ;D ? ;D ? I do remember Marlene insisting on the larger one. :-\

Bernie,

You have a better memory than me. We both have the Ambassador size (Ekornes' polite term for largest). See here.

Methinks the term "zero gravity" was invented in the marketing department.

I don't think the Ekornes would work as well outdoors as the Lafuma.

Back
Top Bottom