Frank Barbera Revisited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

With our tenant not departing until Wednesday morning and doctors' appointments for us that morning, Marlene and I returned to Phoenix a couple of days early. We wanted to be not too far from home and we have Passport America, so decided to spend the nites at Sunflower Resort in Surprise/Sun City West. Frank Barbera has had a park model here for many years and, when Barb was alive, they hosted many Forum mini-rallies at Sunflower or the local Luby's Buffet. Barb was an active member of the original CompuServe RV Forum for many years. When we checked in we inquired if Frank was still in the park. He is.

On my morning walk today I stopped by to visit with Frank for a while. He is doing well for someone who just had his 88th birthday tho he has many of the infirmities of age. But he walked OK, was alert and carried on a great conversation. He still does silversmithing but limits himself to earrings. We hadn't seen Frank for many years, I think it was shortly after Barb died, and it was great to see and talk with him again.

Bless his heart.  We're happy to hear he's doing so well.  He and Barb were such a major part of the early forum days.  Frank made sure each female rally participant received a piece of his beautiful jewelry.  They would drive that little Dolphin motorhome to every rally they could from the foothills of the Sierras to Estes Park and beyond.  Thanks for the report, Bernie.

Margi

Thanks for the update Bernie.  We're so happy to hear that Frank is still up and doing.  As Margi has attested, he took care of us gals with gorgeous gems.  We have thought of both Barb and him often and had hoped he was still well and able.  They were such a delightful couple, and we were happy to have had them in our lives...

Daisy

Ron from Big D said:
Hi Bernie:  If you see Frank again, say hello from Shirley and I.  Was wondering how he was doing.

Ron

I let him know this morning that we all wish him well. Our dentist appointment for tomorrow AM got moved up an hour so we'll have to high tail it out in the morning and won't have a chance to see him again this trip. Getting a chance to see Frank was another reason for staying here.

Did you see Joe and Anne Lacey?  They're in Sunflower too.

Bernie,

Thanks for the update on Frank. I have thought about him often. He and Barb were the very first couple on the forum that we met. We didn't even have an RV yet. We were in Arizona for a tandem bicycle rally and were passing through Phoenix. I remembered that Barb had given us their phone number and told us to call whenever we were in the area. We did and they were home. When we arrived and Sunflower she was standing in the street waiting for us. We had a lovely visit and Pat received the first of several gifts from Frank.

The last time we saw them we stayed at Sunflower but didn't tell Barb & Frank. We met Sheila and she took us to their home. When Barb saw us she was overwhelmed. She took my hand and never let go for the whole visit. It's a memory I will cherish forever.

If you see Frank again please give him our best regards. He is a true gem!!

Ned said:
Did you see Joe and Anne Lacey?  They're in Sunflower too.

Ned

Wasn't aware that they were here also. Unfortunately, we have to leave early and won't have time to look them up.

Jim Dick said:
The last time we saw them we stayed at Sunflower but didn't tell Barb & Frank. We met Sheila and she took us to their home. When Barb saw us she was overwhelmed. She took my hand and never let go for the whole visit. It's a memory I will cherish forever.

If you see Frank again please give him our best regards. He is a true gem!!

Jim

Unfortunately, we won't get another chance this stay, but if we are back in the neighborhood, we'll try again. We have similar memories of Barb and I believe she held my hand the whole time of our last visit with them also. Sorely missed.

Back
Top Bottom