1st post - buying rental rv - thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beau Bo

Hi - first post here and looking to buy first RV.  I've been looking for a few weeks now for a 22 - 24 ft Class C for weekend type camping and towing my jeep to offroad events.  I'm looking for a newer one (2000 - 2005), just to minimize potential maintenance issues.  My price range is <$20K and I haven't been finding very many, at least around the Colorado area.  I have recently been seeing  a lot of used rental units from RVamerica.  A typical unit might be a 2004 Four Winds Majestic 23P with a price of around $17K.  What are your thoughts on buyinng a rental unit like this for my first RV?  thanks...

Generally IMHO they are the bottom line RV's that have not been taken care of.  If you want that sort of RV them go for it. 

I'd say it all depends on what RVAmerica does to their previously-rented units prior to selling them and if any warranty is included.  For instance in the auto realm, Enterprise sells their 1-2 year old fleet cars and AFAIK they are pretty well checked over to even qualify for the retail sales option.  A 5-6 year old RV though, I may have issues with that.  I mean you are talking about potentially hundreds of prior users of that rig, and generally inexperienced users at that.  At least with a rental car, you know that most previous renters already know how to drive.  ;)

Don't be afraid to search outside your home state, and also consider some Class A motorhomes also.  We started researching 25-28 foot Class C's, and ended up buying a 35 foot Class A!  Plus we drove 4 states away (IL to NY) to get it.  Two things I *never* imagined happening.

Back
Top Bottom