Alternatives for people who love history and want to teach...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DooDaaDame

We are semi-retired and travel to historic events around the country. We are a full kitchen under canvas, our website is: http://www.twoeagleskitchen.com. I can't recommend the cooking angle as it took my husband more than a decade to get the business going, but if you have a real interest in history and perhaps have a skill such as: storytelling, black smithing, bow making, sewing historic clothes, candle making, quilting, crafts, wooden toys, musicians, trapping, fur tanning, map makers, copper and tin smithing, kettle corn, herbal medicine, soap making, cloth dyeing, you may have found a way to supplement your income.
There is usually some kind of area for modern camping, but it usually involves Boondocking, you would have to have a small trader tent, period correct or even just be what we call a "blanket Trader", someone who just throws out their goods on a blanket or fur. You would need period clothing, but it need not be fancy, traders shirts and plain brown pants and moccasins are OK. Skirts and traders shirts for women.
There are many kinds of historic events, so I am going to give you the web address of a young man who has a great schedule of many different events on his site: http://www.talking-bear.com/
Here is another site: http://www.mysticbuffalo.com/
There is usually a small camp fee involved and some very talented folks are let in free or even paid to attend.
Consider also:
Civil War Events
City Festivals
Renaissance Fairs
State Park History Events
Pirate Festivals
Pow Wows
The nice thing about this way of life is that you get to camp in historic places that other RV'ers would never be allowed to set up in, you get to learn about history and meet great people who truly have a grasp on what this great country is about. Pets are generally welcome, tethered and controlled, of course...
Why am I posting this? WE NEED NEW BLOOD! The average age of a Historic camper is mid fifties and beyond, we loose many good folks every year due to health reasons, we need people to fill these spots and keep our history alive! You will never get rich doing this, but it will give you a reason to live!
Check out a historic event in your area, talk to the campers and traders, get a feel for it. This could be your future!

I spent many years with my folks at the Cache valley, Snake river, Bear river and Bailey Creek rendezvous. Had a ton of fun as a kid, Just don't want to do it now ;) but kudos to you and yours for doing what you enjoy. My sister and her husband are still very active and well as one of my brothers and his wife. I can't remember the name of the club. Cache valley or Jim bridger or maybe a comination of those 2. If you are ever in northen utah let me know they will almost surely be at any rendezvous in the area.

wayne

Sounds like alot of fun. Do you have any children traveling with you?

Our children are grown, but we do know people who home and internet school their kids on the road, the Rendezvous is a marvelous place for children, much to learn and every camper is an extended member of the family, many eyes to keep track of the kids. We are all family and child oriented, after all, our goal is to teach....

We enjoy history and sharing it, especially with children. What we do is to volunteer in return for an RV site in parks, historic areas and wildlife refuges. We look for places where most or all of our work will be as interpretive staff for the public.

Kirk said:
We enjoy history and sharing it, especially with children. What we do is to volunteer in return for an RV site in parks, historic areas and wildlife refuges. We look for places where most or all of our work will be as interpretive staff for the public.
Can you explain "interpretive staff for the public"?

Back
Top Bottom