1987 Rockwood 37' Diesel Class A - Good price and other questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenhmiller

First, let me say greetings! I'm new here and new to RV'ing.

Ok, now the question.

I'm looking at a 1987 Rockwood Classic 37' Diesel Class A.
It's in good condition, with minor things needing to be done. The roof needs to have the caulking replaced around vents and rails, etc.
It needs new tires all around, a total of 6, sized 255/80R22.5. From waht I can determine, only Michelin makes these and they are the XRV model.
There are other minor things, like needs to be cleaned, wood is faded or stained. Nothing major and I can live with that.

The owner is asking $12k, with a desire to get $11k. I offered $12.5k with him replacing the tires, and I would pay for parts if it needs brakes.
He's a mechanic and can do the tires, except balancing them. So, that would be done by a shop

Is $12.5k a good price or what?

Also, any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Thanks Dan.
After doing some reading of the Diesel vs. Gas article in the library, I'm having second thoughts on the diesel. I'm sued to gas on everything I've ever owned. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, lawn mowers, boats, etc. I can work on those and they're easy to maintain. The whole maintenance thing on diesels with the fungus, water separation, etc. scares me. By scares me, I mean expensive.

Thanks.

I'm sorry to see that Steve, once you do diesel and feel the GRUNT you wont want to pass gas any longer for the big jobs. If your knowledgeable in the gas world, it would not take much to bring you up to speed with diesels.>>>Dan

[quote author=stevenhmiller]The whole maintenance thing on diesels with the fungus, water separation, etc. scares me.[/quote]

Didn't you have water separators on the gas lines to your boat engines? We had them on our gas boats, and have them on the diesels. One difference is that, on the gas boats, I changed the water separators and threw the old ones away, whereas on the diesel boat (and the diesel coach), the water separators have a drain.

Gas may not accumulate algae, but it does turn nasty and gum up if not protected. Same thing with diesel, just a different protectant.

I see some of the points made, but the care that needs to go into a diesel is much more, and cost more. I don't think I'd use it enough to justify the extra costs involved. I'm definitely not a road warrior. I love the whole look of this diesel coach, and it is so much more comfy, but I can't justify the extra costs. I estimate maybe 4-6 trips a year. None of them cross country or anything like that. I'm looking for something I can gas up, do basic maintenance on and once a year, the extra things needed. I can't justify the cost of a diesel maintenance wise for so little use it will see.

Back
Top Bottom