GVWR and an F250

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AR Razor1123

Hey everyone,

Brand spanking new to the forum.  I have read a lot of the posts and you all have provided a lot of great info.  I see that there is a lot of confusion on how much each vehicle will pull or then again maybe I am the only one confused.  I have a truck and the next thing on the list is the 5th wheel but I want to obviously make sure I can pull what I buy.  My confusion is based on what all the lit says my truck can pull and then what the sticker on my truck says.  The sticker on my door says a GVWR of 10,000, which sounds low to me for my truck.  All the publictions say 15,500 for a 5th wheel.  I know posts have recommended 90% of whatever that number is but I am not sure "that" number.  Thanks to all who wiegh in.  BTW, the truck is a 2006 Ford F250 6.0L PSD crew cab with the 3.73 rear end. 

Ho Brett and welcome to the RV Forum. Check out the RV Glossary for the meaning of terms - it will help.

The Max Tow Rating of a truck is set by the manufacturer, but for a fifth wheel trailer it is basically the difference between the actual weight of the truck and the GCWR. GCWR is the max combined weight of truck and trailer. The truck must also be able to carry the weight the trailer places on the hitch (called pin weight in a 5W) and that is typically around 20-25% of the trailer's loaded weight. The pin weight therefore is limited by the trucks GVWR and  rear axle GAWR. The truck manufacturer will give a Payload rating for the truck as well. It will roughly be the difference between the empty truck weight and the GVWR.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom