MICE!!! What a mess!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annranes

I need some advice, I have a coleman avalon that we stored in our garage over the winter.  Well we live by an open field and a creek so needless to say, there are mice around. ... The camper was closed up all winter but they got in anyway.  I opened it last night for the first time since Nov and, what a mess!  Curtains, blankets, and TP all chewed. Luckily it is not looking like they chewed any wires or cushions. 

Any ideas on how to keep them out.. .we looked all over and could not figure out how they got in...

They often get in from small holes in the floor used for wires or hoses.  You could seal all these holes with caulking if small enough or expandable foam spray for large ones.  Looks through every cupboard and storage compartment for these types of holes.  You could also look from under.

Years ago I had a very large outdoor bird aviary. Mice got in through the smallest of small openings. Once I caulked it up they no longer got in. So if you can stick your finger into a hole then a mouse can get in.

I read somewhere that fabric softener sheets keep them away so when we put our pop up away for the winter we put them in every drawer, around the mattresses etc.  So far no mice so I would say it is worth a shot.  What a mess for you :(

Use Bounce fabric softner sheets liberally when storing.  Also be sure to include mouse poison cubes.  We had a huge mouse invasion of our trailer during the late summer and early fall (live very rural!).  Our shole are experienced the mouse invasion.  For us, the invasion cost us a house kitchen range (shorted out the computer and all wiring chewed to pieces), repairs to the downstairs A/C due to mice committing suicide on the wires, and every screen on our Rockwood Roo camper tents.  They also made a huge mess and stink from masses of excrement and urine.  Six months after a thorough cleanup and putting out the Bounce sheets and poison everywhere we could think of in the camper, including in the folds of the tents in the stored positions, there have been no further signs of mice and no further damage.  Sll that remains now is figure out how to repair the tent window screens without having to spend a thousand or more dollars!  I have tried to patch every possible entrance to the camper but that is really an all most impossible task as a mouse can go through openings that just don't seem big enough for a small bug to slide through!

Nobody is immune.  We were playing with baby mice in a brand new RV on the lot last week.  My grammar and subject verb agreement are correct.  Not one mouse...  :)  Add another thing to my list of stuff to think about now.  Thanks and good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom