How do I UV protect a Fiberglass roof?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim and di

I have pressure washed the roof last year and this year, eternabond-ed the roof seams. Now I am wondering; If all fiberglass need a seal due to the pours in the glass building up chalk. What do you veterans do for the roof.
Now I am guessing was will make this 12 foot ski jump a Olympic event, so sans wax what do you do.
Jim

I have wondered the same thing. I have been looking at this product from Home Depot for quite some time, that seals roof and protects from UV rays. It is for regular household roofs but the flexibility of it, makes it appealing for RV application. It suppost to leave this sort of thick rubbery coat that is durable. Only problem for me, is that is only offered in off white, and my roof is tan. :(

I am thinking clear coat, with proper prep may be the best way to go, but expensive. 

I got tired of the white streaks that rain left on the sides, so used a trick I learned from one of these forums.  I used a very heavy coat of Mop and Glow floor wax on a dry, clean roof, and so far it has lasted six months with no sign of white streaks down the side.  The lack of chalking means (?) it is being protected, a good thing.

When you put Mop and Glow on, use a rubber glove if you apply by hand as I did, with a sponge.  If you do not, you can do hand modeling for the Geico cave man for a few weeks.  Or some sort of lizard man science fiction show.

Jack Nichols, 2003 Country Coach Intrigue

You can paint a fiberglass roof if you feel it needs protection. Whether it needs something or not depends on the actual roof material. All "fiberglass" material is not equal.

Is called soalr
jim and di said:
What is the name of the product?
J

Is called Solarflex 287SF by Henry. There is also another product called quick roof for leak repair.

If it ever stops raining I an going to give the roof a coat of Mop and Glow a long handle mop and a bottle of the stuff was 15 bucks, will see and report.
Jim

"Fiberglass" covers a variety of glass-like compounds. Gel coat fiberglass, for example, is hard and shiny and resists oxidation and chalking for years, while "fiberglass" sidewalls are more of a matte finish and quicker to chalk. FIlon is another fiberglass material often used in RVs.
http://www.cranecomposites.com/PDFs/6278_fil_tech.pdf

If the "fiberglass" on your roof is already painted, as it is in some RVs, it probably doesn't need any further protection.

Thanks Gary, I am going to try the Mop and Glow as I do get a chalk streak down the windows. Windex on a stick does remove the stuff, but maybe it needs a little TLC.
Jim

What we call chalk is sometimes just an accumulation of dirt and airborne chemicals on the roof. I know my fiberglass roof still needs regular washing to avoid the dirty streaks on the sides, but there is no sign at all of oxidation or chalking after washing the roof.

I had one of my Grand Daughters pressure was the roof last spring, it was filthy and it turned white after the wash. You are right the chalk did subside, however, it still is there. This year has been the wettest Feb, March in New England history. Hope to report on the Mop and Glow soon as the rain stops. Actually if it doesn't stop I may need to add pontoons and make the rig a amphibious RV.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom