TC Weight 2400lbs wet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thewoodsbunch

I have a Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext Cab and bought a TC that weighs 2400lbs wet. What do I need to add to my truck to handle the load? My trucks is rated at 6600.

TC as in Truck Camper?  You are not towing it, you are carrying it.  So the 6600lbs must be the towing capacity which does not apply here.

I don't know what the payload capacity of your year and model of 1500, but it is 1559lbs for mine, it is shown as "Capacity" on a sticker inside the driver side door jamb.  That capacity is for anything you put in the truck, passengers, gear, truck camper, etc.

Unless I am missing something here, looks like you may need a HD truck or a different TC. 

I'm sure others will chime in with more info.

Marc...

2400 lb is pretty heavy for a camper. Even a 1 ton is going to be overloaded before you add the wife and kids. Where did you get the figure?

I am all for working/using a truck to and sometimes past its limits.  But a 2400lb TC in a 1/2 ton is past what even I would do, if you were just going to be "running around town" or short 5-10 mile trips I would so go for it.  But with a camper that means that you are going to be traveling and putting miles on, being that much over loaded is just asking for trouble.  If you were only going to be 100-200 lbs over I would say "go for it", but at around 1000lbs no way.

RoyM said:
2400 lb is pretty heavy for a camper. Even a 1 ton is going to be overloaded before you add the wife and kids. Where did you get the figure?
2400, heavy??  Overloading a 1 ton, may one for the 70-80's.

My father has a 11.5' Elkhorn, when fully loaded it weighs in just under 4100lbs.  And he is still 600lbs under the GVW of his F350 SC DRW 4X4, even with the hitch weight of the boat, full tank of fuel, both mom &dad, and everything else in the truck.  This has been checked on scales a few times and each time the weight is within 200 or so lbs of each other.

??? 4100 lb was over two tons when I went to school. And you claim he is packing that plus a boat with an F350?

RoyM said:
??? 4100 lb was over two tons when I went to school. And you claim he is packing that plus a boat with an F350?
Yep, GVW of 13000lbs.  The truck when loaded with the camper and the hitch weight of the boat total weight has been in the 12,300-12,500 lb range every time across the scale that I know of with the TC and boat.  With his 34' Jayco 5er which has a pin weight of 3300lbs, plus the transfer tank, and tool boxes the weight of the truck is usually right around 12,100-12,300lbs.

Heck even my F150 I can legally haul 1650 lbs.  Truck weight with me and a full tank of gas 5550 and the truck has a GVW of 7200.

You can't go by the old 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton ratings any more, those went out the window years ago.

RoyM said:
Ha! mine weighs in at 3200 not including our camping gear! but i tow with a Dodge 4wd, 1 ton dually, it sags about 2 1/2 inches but nothing bad.

I did a similar thing a couple of years ago-bought a camper which weighed 1819 wet and put it on the same pickup that you mention (Chevy 1500 ext cab);  it pushed the rubber body bumpers right down onto the rear axle-before we added any gear!  Had to size up to a 2500 HD.  Don't fool yourself like I tried to....the ride was great, no side sway...but if something ever broke!

If you watch the weight, no camper would be legal on almost any truck.  Been there and worried about that.  I've done it all in the way of helper springs, lifts, etc., etc.  If you want to save yourself a lot of hassle and solutions that don't work, do two things:
1.  Install air bags.  This will allow you to adjust your suspension for weight, ride and side-to-side sagging.
2.  Put on a rear anti-sway bar.  This will keep you from tilting from side-to-side on turns.

Or we all start demanding from the industry lighter TC's. Its very attainable, but change is always slow!

Happy camping with all that weight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom