What is realistic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thewho

I own a vehical that is 6cyl engine. In the book it states the tow weight is 2200lbs, does that include the passengers and cargo? So for example, I check out a pop up camper and find one that fits the bill at that weight but am carrying 3 pax plus luggage - am I overweight? The manual doesn't state anything else.

Also, I have been checking various webpages for pop up campers and it looks as though most of them go over the 2200lbs.

I am trying to navigate my way to finding the best way to travel across America. On the one hand I prefer an rv, a small one but I am not willing to shell out 50g's for one. On the other hand I wouldn't mind starting off with a popup camper tent but am not willing to upgrade my vehical for it.

I am sort of in limbo here.

If your manual states 2200 lbs. that means your trailer and everything in it should not be over that weight. Some people go slightly over but that is really taxing your tow vehicle. Especially brakes and cooling system. Safety also would be a major concern.

The towing capacity is normally based on an empty vehicle with a full tank of gas and a 150lbs driver.  Anything you add in the vehicle in addition to that must be from the towing capacity.

Another thing to consider for any trailer you look at.  The dry weight advertised in the brochure is not a number you can rely on for the following reasons.  First, the dry weight is based on a bare unit with no options, most are sold with optional equipment.  It also does not include the battery and propane.  Also, you never go camping dry, you will add your food, clothing and gear to the trailer, so you need to account for that. 

Looking at the GVWR (gross vehicle weight) of the trailer you are looking at is more useful.  That is the maximum weight the trailer can handle once you load it up for camping.

Also keep in mind that the towing capacity is not solely based on what the engine can haul, it also takes into consideration all the components that make the vehicle driveable such as transmission, suspension, brakes, frame, steering, etc.  Being overweight increases the risk of one of those components failing prematurely and it also reduces your chances of safely recovering from an emergency maneuver.

Good luck in your search.

I have towed a 2,000 pound trailer with a tow vehicle with a 2,000 capacity.. I don't recommend it.. I would recommend at least 10 percent more towing capacity than you need (So you would have no problem with that trailer)

That said... Others have explained

If you load the trailer for travel and "Drop" it (Unhook) on top of a scale and the scale says 2,000 pounds.. that's a 2,000 pound trailer

Beyond that there are some considerations of how much of that 2,000 pounds (And I"m using 2,000 as a round figure here) is on the hitch and how much on the wheels.

passangers in a trailer..  PLEASE DO NOT.. Good way to open the door to humanburger

I am trying to navigate my way to finding the best way to travel across America. On the one hand I prefer an rv, a small one but I am not willing to shell out 50g's for one. On the other hand I wouldn't mind starting off with a popup camper tent but am not willing to upgrade my vehical for it.

You have two realistic choices.  One is to buy a vehicle with a tow rating of at least 3500# for a tent trailer or more for a travel trailer.  The other is to keep your present vehicle and set your self up to go car camping. 

How about a lightweight teardrop trailer, they make them in weights as little as 800lbs.

Okay. I am not going to take any chances. I would be driving on the highways at night with two other pax plus luggage aboard. On top of that, the vehical in question is 9 years old.
The Teardrop would be too small. To be honest, even if I were traveling alone I would feel like I were sleeping in a box.

3500lbs. Okay so I have a number in my head of what tow weight a vehical should handle. Since mine vehical is only 2200lbs, I wouldn't chance it. I know there is a product out there called Quicksilver, light weight popups but still when you add the extras, the numbers are too close.

Thanks.

Good thinking.  If I were you, I would look in the truck based SUVs, window vans like the Ford E-series, or a half ton truck -- all vehicles that could haul a range of trailers.

Use Trailer Life's tow rating tables to find tow ratings  at www.trailerlife.com/tech.cfm

We had a 99 coleman nevada tent trailer with a weight of 2800lbs. We towed it with a ford explorer sport w/a towing pkg. rated at 5600lbs. I put an anti-sway bar on it because even though i was well within my tow rating it still felt like "the tail wagging the dog". After much research it was decided that most of the problem was that the suv had a narrow wheelbase and high center of gravity (the trailer was wider and lower causing all kinds of wind issues between the suv and trailer). I always watch weights (even now that i have a mh and tow dolly) but i never thought of the whole wheelbase issue until i experienced it first hand! :-\

Back
Top Bottom