Iceland volcano eruption...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So if I have this right, one medium sized volcano has shut down Europe, and may taint the water, cool the growing season, and will give the world red sunsets for 6 months.  AND man is the main problem with the ecology?  Wonder if a guy landed the asteroid that did in the dinosaurs too? 

We (man) are like ants at the picnic, we can damned well mess up the food, and float around in the cool-aid, but the park where we had the picnic never even notices!

johncmr

PS:  Hope everyone gets home or on vacation safely and on time!

Dear friends of mine just had their dream trip to Egypt cancelled because they couldn't get there.  Their trip insurance company is trying not to reimburse them because "it's and act of nature".  These are seniors on a fixed income who have been saving for this trip for 10 years!

KLM is offering to reschedule our flights, but I'm not sure our grandson is willing to reschedule the wedding.

Is his honeymoon in jeopardy with the flight cancellations? If not a wedding delay, how about a big 1 month anniversary celebration when you can get there?

OTOH, it may all die down and KLM will still "get you to the church on time."

I've got my fingers crossed.
Wendy

Their honeymoon (three weeks in China) is scheduled for Oct/Nov, so no jeopardy there (yet). The family get together includes members who are travelling from elsewhere, so we're not yet sure how that would work out. We intend to sit tight for several more days before making any changes to the plan.

There have been some test flights in Europe without incident, so it's possible the flight restrictions will be lifted, but I don't know that I would bet my life on it being safe.

According to their web site, KLM ran 10 test flights this weekend, but resumption of commercial traffic isn't an airline decision.

Here's an excerpt from an article I read this morning:

Test flights conducted on Saturday were apparently successful, with no problems encountered during flight. Following the test flights, Peter Hartman, CEO of KLM, said, 'We hope to receive permission as soon as possible after that to start up our operation and to transport our passengers to their destinations.' Evidence possibly opposing this move comes from the Finnish Defense Forces, which released photos and a statement after F-18 Hornets flew through the ash cloud, saying, 'Based on the pictures, it was discovered that even short flights in ash dust may cause significant damage to an airplane's engine.' Is it safe to resume flights so soon, or should planes remain grounded until the ash cloud has dissipated?"

The airlines understandably want to get flying again but I think I trust the military more in this case.

Mike, I tried that site yesterday.  I got what seemed to be the home page...no data...blank screen on the rest of the page.

Just tried your link just now...same thing.  Maybe it is overloaded or??

carson FL

Carson, it works for me but I had to disable AdBlock+ in Firefox on the site.

Thanks Mike and Ned.

I got the site ok now. Ned, I've had adblock+ deleted for some time now. Don't use it at all. What I did do was to look at my add-ons and got rid of many Java Console updates (they seem to have accumulated over time on the add-ons..just left the latest 6.0.19 and Java quick starter 1.0).

The map showed up great.. but no airplanes are shown. It says that no flights are shown because the number of users = too many.. ::)

Will try again in the future.

In any case.. My DW, Carol arrived in Madrid and will be on her way going South, then onto Morocco. After that back to Lisbon, Portugal for her return trip May 1st.  Hopefully all will be well and the wind isn't shifting towards the South. The only city affected so far in Spain is Barcelona up North.

Here is a little news for folks interested in the news.. http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100417/D9F4UF1O0.html

carson FL 70.3? - no Sun today and rain. Must be the volcano.  ;D

Thanks again, Mike for that large link.  I guess it was not meant for me living the USA, even though I can read German.

The site says that "this site is not available in the English language. Oh, well.

carson FL

Criticism of the airlines:
?The airspace was closed only due to computer simulations at the 'Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre' in London."
Some airlines don't see any danger for planes and passengers. They lose a lot of moneyevery day - they say.
Lufthansa had ten flights without passengers from Munich to Frankfurt at up to 26,000 ft. No damages.

Maybe all this destruction volcanoes, hurricanes, earthquakes is a prelude to the end of times as per the Mayan Calendar.  Remember that's in Dec 2012, also Nostradmas said about the same time.  So I guess all of us need to party hardy and have a heck of a good time just in case! Hey any old excuse will do, right?

Back
Top Bottom