Wireless keyboard and mouse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alicefred

I have been trying to add convenient stuff in my RV. I read somewhere about the wireless computer accessories and thought it would be good to have such nice stuff. While surfing online I found Logitech MK300 wireless keyboard/mouse combo for $39.99 via Office Depot deal at http://www.dealrocker.com. I have never used any wireless computer stuff before, can anyone shed some lights on this product?

Your inputs will be valuable for me.
Thanks..

Welcome to The RV Forum, Alicefred!

The wireless keyboards and mice work fine - I've used them for several years. Logitech is a good brand too. You just need to keep the batteries fresh and the Logitech software will warn you about the mouse batteries if they get low.  That may be anywhere from a few weeks to months with the Logitech system. The keyboard battery seems to last for ages, to the point where you tend to forget there is one in there.

I think most now do, but be sure the mouse has auto shutdown when not in use feature. That will greatly extend battery life. When you move the mouse again, it comes back to life.

I use the Logitech wireless trackman and really like it. No moving the mouse around and having to reposition it frequently when you run out of room. It also has several buttons to make scrolling and going forward and backward through multiple pages much easier. It also came, at the time, with a five year warranty. Here is a link to Amazon for more info: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B9CR/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00004VUGJ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0F9PXZMKVR73VRDDE3HG

There are other places to buy it. Not cheap but I think it's worth it.

I've used Logitech wireless keyboards and mice for years.  I'm on my 3rd or 4th one now.  The newer models use a USB receiver call the Unifying receiver that works much better than the older proprietary radios and even the Bluetooth models.  Right now my keyboard is a MX 5500 Bluetooth model and the mouse is the Anywhere MX with the Unifying receiver.  Both work together with the same SetPoint software.

The lack of wires makes it much easier to pack up for travel.

A laptop works better for an RV IMHO. It is all in one package, making it easier to store and set up. A laptop uses a lot less current than a desktop meaning you will be able to use it longer in your RV before you must recharge the house batteries. With my laptop and a Verizon Wireless Air Card I can send and receive email at 60 mph while my girlfriend drives down the highway.

Even if I only had a notebook computer I'd still have a wireless keyboard and mouse as I can't touchtype on a notebook keyboard and the touchpads are impossible for me to use.  I would probably have a large external monitor as well as my eyes just aren't as good as they used to be :)

I use a Logitech wireless Nano Mouse on my netbook for the same reason.

I've found laptops with 17" display to be the perfect combo of laptop portability + desktop size.  I'm on my 3rd one now.  You may still need a desktop for serious multimedia processing, but for 95% of computer use they work great.  I don't miss my desktop at all.  And to stay on topic, I'll throw in another vote for Logitech wireless stuff... I have gotten accustomed to the laptop touchpads (when I first started using them I'd get carpal-tunnel type wrist cramps  :p) but I still prefer a mouse if the desktop space exists to maneuver it.

We have a 17" Toshiba notebook that Lorna uses, and I don't like typing on it either.  But the display is the minimum size I would accept.

Her Logitech wireless trackball just died this morning so I'll be shopping online today for a replacement.  I'll be getting one of the Unify models this time.

Ned

Let us know what, where and how much for the replacement. I currently use the wired Logitech Trackball and am thinking about upgrading.

I found several alternatives at Amazon but the Logitech  Cordless Optical Trackman doesn't use the Unify receiver :(  I took ours apart and had all except the wheel working.  Took it apart again to try to fix the wheel and now nothing works on it.  I guess it's really dead.    Prices on that trackman start at $49.99.

I've had the Logitech Optical Trackman for several years. Bought it originally to use with a laptop running marine navigation software. Much easier to use from the helm seat when on the high seas. It's due for replacement, so it's good to know they still make them.

Well, I decided to install the latest SetPoint software on the notebook.  The trackball had been working just fine with the default drivers until today.  After installing SetPoint, it works again.  I have no idea what happened over night to cause it to fail like that, but it also misbehaved on my netbook, but not on my desktop.  I suspect the blowing out I gave it when I disassembled it cleared something.  Whew, $50 saved :)

I've been buying hardware from Amazon lately as their prices are usually the lowest and we have a gift certificate to use up.  And they offer free shipping.

John Canfield said:
I like buying PC stuff at Newegg due to the robust user reviews on most products.  Here's a link to a bunch of wireless/mice combos.

Amazon's price is the same but includes shipping.

I prefer to buy the keyboard and mouse separate.  The mouse that comes with the keyboard does not feel good in my hand.  Locate the mouse display and try them all until you find the one that feels good to you.  do the same with the keyboard.

We also have a wireless printer we carry on our trips.

Russ

crosscountry said:
I prefer to buy the keyboard and mouse separate.  The mouse that comes with the keyboard does not feel good in my hand.

Perhaps not a bad idea. I have noticed that my batteries crap out in my Logitech mouses quite often, but never in my Logitech keyboards. I have several at two homes.  I now remove the mouse batteries from the mouses at the home I am not at.

-Don-​

Keyboard batteries will last a long time, there is little power needed for them.  Mice have a laser that does use more power, but most will shut it off when no movement is sensed.  Some have on/off switches so you don't have to remove the batteries.  I suspect battery life will be about the same left in or removed.  I always preferred mice with charging stands but when my last one died, I couldn't find any locally so I use my own rechargeable batteries and they seem to last about a month between charges.  Regular alkalines will last perhaps 2 months.

RLSharp said:
Hey Tom,

Did you find a new girlfriend?  ;)

R

No, I have not been lucky enough to find a lady who would put up with me. I was talking about the girlfriend I had last year. However, if there are any single women out there that happen to own a Tire Pressure Monitoring system....

Back
Top Bottom