Best state to buy RVs, Water, Wireless Internet, Solar, BioDiesel, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mayapapaya

Hello all!

In the past few months, I've been considering getting an RV, probably Class C, in order to fulfill my dream of having an eco-friendly vehicle.? I would convert it to biodiesel and have solar power.? But I have a few questions that I've been unable to find answers to.? Please help!

1)? What is the best state to buy an RV in, for insurance purposes, etc?

2)? Do you have to be hooked up to a water line to run the shower?

3)? Besides RV and motorhome parks, where can you dump black and grey water?

4)? How do you get some sort of internet hook-up within an RV, even wireless internet?

5)? Does anyone who DOES not stay in an RV park have any advice for parking at night in various states? (streets, beaches, you know... guerilla style)?

6)? How much does insurance for a motorhome usually cost per month?

7)? What are some of the trickier things about solar power panels on the roof that they don't usually tell you?

Thanks so much.? Any other advice is most welcomed. ;D

That's a lot of questions to ask in one message. If you split it into smaller messages with one or two questions each, folks might be more inclined to take a stab at the answers. It would also make it much easier for folks reading in the future to follow along.

Have you tried using the forum search feature? Most of these subjects have been discussed here in detail.

1) ?What is the best state to buy an RV in, for insurance purposes, etc?

The more imporantant question is where will the Rv be registered. ?Where you buy it will not make much difference.

2) ?Do you have to be hooked up to a water line to run the shower?

No, it will work just fine with the water pump and internal fresh water.

3) ?Besides RV and motorhome parks, where can you dump black and grey water?

Some truck stops (Flying J, for instance), some state rest areas, and even some cities have public dump stations. ?Many campgrounds will allow you to use their dump station for a small fee.

4) ?How do you get some sort of internet hook-up within an RV, even wireless internet?

Quite a few ways: borrow a phone line or go to a public library, stay at campgrounds that have free wireless internet, stay at campgrounds that have phone lines at the campsite or pay for use wireless internet access, cell phone with data capabilities (any current phone will work) and a carrier that has good a data network, satellite.

5) ?Does anyone who DOES not stay in an RV park have any advice for parking at night in various states ?(streets, beaches, you know... guerilla style)?

We don't normally stay at other than campgrounds, but have on occasion, stayed at WalMart and truck stops. ?I don't recommend staying on the street (although we have done that too), some CA beaches have camping allowed, but I recommend avoiding rest areas as unsafe.

6) ?How much does insurance for a motorhome usually cost per month?

That depends on the motor home model, age, and where it's garaged. ?There is no typical value for insurance, but a policy for a fulltimer in a recent 38-40 foot motorhome will pay anywhere from $1000 up a year.

7) ?What are some of the trickier things about solar power panels on the roof that they don't usually tell you?

I'll leave that for our solar experts to address.

Looks like Ned has pretty well covered it for you.  I'm sure one of the Solar folks will provide some information there.

1)? What is the best state to buy an RV in, for insurance purposes, etc?

If you have a permanent residence, the state you live in.? ? Fulltiming is another matter.? There you get into problems of establishing residence, taxation, etc. etc..

2)? Do you have to be hooked up to a water line to run the shower?

Not at all, but you are going to have to take quick showers.? None of those 20 minute soakers.

3)? Besides RV and motorhome parks, where can you dump black and grey water?

Some truck stops and RV stores have dump stations.? Some RV storage yards have dumps also.
There are a few and shrinking number of public dump stations along interstates and major highways.? ?The Trailer Life Campground Directory gives a table of public dump stations.? California for instance only has 17 sites in their list.? ?

5)? Does anyone who DOES not stay in an RV park have any advice for parking at night in various states? (streets, beaches, you know... guerilla style)?

Highway rest stops -- just plain dangerous overnight.? A surprising number of towns have anti-camping on the street ordinances.? ?

7)? What are some of the trickier things about solar power panels on the roof that they don't usually tell you?

They have to be pointed at the sun for maximum output.? The ideal position of the RV is with the panels facing south.? ?One does not always get a site with that advantage.? ?

Back
Top Bottom