RV bumper hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

all4scuba

I have a bike rack that carries 4 bikes. However it's made for a 1 1/2" receiver.  Therefore I find myself needing to install two parts to my RV's rear bumber because I only found the bumper hitch in 2" receiver size.  First this part  http://www.amazon.com/Surco-B100-Bumper-Hitch-Adaptor/dp/B000CCBMEO  Then I insert this part before the bike rack  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_133741_133741  Does anyone see a problem with this setup? or maybe a better idea?

Some bike racks come with the adapter already included so I'm guessing the aftermarket adapter should work ok. Adapters like this can pretty much be used for any device (bike rack, hitch haul, utility trailers...) as long as the weight/capacities are not exceeded. And to echo what I've seen recommended many times here on this site "make sure the bumper can handle the stress of the bike rack". The bikes may not weigh much but they will bounce around and that does put a lot of twisting stress on the 4x4 bumper!

I'd look that bumper over carefully - they are usually just tack-welded to the end of the frame and not very sturdy when it comes to weight and torquing movements. Four bikes on the end of fairly long lever can exert a lot of force. Reinforcement might be in order so that you don't lose those 4 bikes.

If I were you I would spend some more money and take the camper to a custom fab welding shop and have a hitch made for your camper instead of using the one you post off amazon, for the same reasons that RV Roamer had post about.  The rear bumper is not designed to carry much/if any weight, you could probably get away with just reinforcing the bumper and then placing a hitch on it for just hauling bikes.  But the reason I suggested a custom hitch is because I would rather have something over built than under built.

^^ You could also have your existing hitch reinforced.  I had extra plates welded/bolted and a solid metal bumper added last year on mine, because I was never very comfortable with the 4 small bolts on the factory hitch that were supposed to securely hold 3500# in place.  :eek:  I bought an add-on hitch box like the Amazon one you posted above (slightly used off eBay for around $20 I think), and I plan to carry bikes that way eventually.  I don't have a rack yet but am in the market.

That is a lot of weight for a flimsy bumper at best.  Get a frame hitch installed.

My bike rack specifically says to NOT use it on that kind of hitch adapter. It's a 2 bike rack.. So I'm guessing yours has the same warning.  Weather it's a genuine concern or a CYA warning I don't know (I am going to guess CYA) but test the theory.... NO THANK YOU.

Hitch Adapter If this is the right size (You said an inch and a half but I think it's an inch and a quarter) then it will work, so long, that is,  as you are not towing a car behind the motor home, and it's half the price as well.

What I did.......

On my coach I have a ball-mount type bike rack.. This needs a "Tong" with a hole in it, just like a ball mount does

I also needed a drop hitch receiver adapter for towing the lumina .. .I had Blue-Ox custom make one

It is a 4" drop with a tong on top.. The bike rack is bolted to the tong

Before that I had a 1 1/4 inch adapter with the bike carrier bolted to it.. The inch and  a quarter receiver was welded on top of the older way too long drop hitch adapter I had.

You could (if you have the room) weld a 1 1/4 inch receiver on top of your 2" receiver  Likely cheaper, and stronger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom