Battery Disconnect Switch not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WeDuNutn

While returning from our second trip in our 2010 Coachmen Mirada 29DSF (class A), we went to push the battery disconnect switch to disengage the two 12 volt house batteries.  Nothing happened.  Instead of the usual "click" we'd hear when we disconnected previously, the switch simply returned to its original on/connect position with the green light still on.  Can anyone tell us the consequences of leaving the batteries "connected?" If everything in the coach is turned off will it still drain the batteries? Can I safely disconnect the batteries manually by removing the negative cable? Will it affect anything in the coach when I connect it later? Our dealer had no solution to our problem. Many thanks for your assistance.

Is this a switch inside the coach? If so, mostly the solenoid failed. Not expensive.
Good thing yours fails in the on position. On our last coach, 2000 Monaco, it failed in the off position. The coach was next to the house and my wife notice the she didn't hear the frig fans when walking by. If she hadn't noticed that we would have had a frig full of rotten, smelly food.
I bypassed the solenoid as I never turn the 12 off, but then when stored our rig always had 110 power to keep the batteries up.

btw, you may have a mechanical battery switch back near the battery compartment. Often there is one for the coach batteries and one for the chassis batteries.

ken

ken

We Du Nutn said:
If everything in the coach is turned off will it still drain the batteries?
Most likely, yes, but it will probably take at least several weeks. Depends on the rig. Sound like the switch itself is stuck on. Might not be too hard to replace.
Can I safely disconnect the batteries manually by removing the negative cable?
Yes. That shouldn't cause a problem during storage and should be doing about the same as the switch would, except for stuff such as (perhaps) solar which might normally still be on regardless of disconnect switch position.
Will it affect anything in the coach when I connect it later? .
Nothing important. If radio memory uses the house battery you will loose it's memory and small stuff like that.

-Don-​

No problem leaving the batteries connected, but they will discharge over time if no shore power is available. Anywhere from several days to  a few weeks, depending on the coach design.

Yes, you can disconnect the battery negative. Could even install a manual battery disconnect switch there.

There are several possible reasons for disconnect failure:
1.The remote switch failed or a wire to it came loose
2.The disconnect relay itself failed. It may be a separate relay or part of an integrated battery control module.
3. The 12v power source that operates the relay may have been lost or failed, or the wire to the relay may be loose/corroded/etc. The wire that powers the relay usually has its own connection to the battery and its own fuse, so check that out first.

If you truly wish to disconnect. Just lift the negative battery cables off. that will do it, HARD (Meaning an absolute disconnect, as opposed to difficult)

Now... I had a problem not unlike yours in my coach.. I have an Intelletec Battery Control Center and the remote switch failed..  In my case though it disconnected just fine..  It would not re-connect (Insert untypable phrases and terms here please)

What I ended up doing, and there two ways of doing this, is using the switches "Self cleaning" feature

IN my case I removed the switch, disconnected the cables from the back (On my coach it's a switch with an indicator panel.. I just pulled the whole panel) and cycled the switch 40 or 50 times both ways.

The easy way.. if you know where it is, is to pull the fuse feeding said switch.

When I re-connected and as of the last time I touched it.. Switch was still working.

My success rate with this kind of "Fix" is low.. but considering the cost (Lower still) it's worth a try.. If it works.... Well, it's been 4 years since I last did it... It works

If not.. Well... you invested $0.00 in the fix.. so you got your money's worth :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom