Tow Brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atoybbacs

Hi folks...I just bought a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with tow package. Do I need to install a trailer brake controller or is it built in? I know this may be a dumb question but I've owned only older trucks that I had to install a brake controller. Thanks in advanced.

Yes you Must install an aftermarket brake controller.  If you buy the Prodigy you can also get the plug and play harness for an additional 15 or so dollars.  ON GM products it simply plugs into the fuse panel under the dash right above the brake pedal.

Forgot to mention,  You will also need to install a fuse under the hood fuse panel in position number 1 as I remember.  On some vehicles you will also need to hook up one wire.  This will then allow for battery charge line to the trailer plug.  Check the owners manual for the correct information.

If you do a search for Chevy brake controller there are several sights that have illustrated instructions.  I found one that was like having someone there to tell me what to do.  It showed where the wires were tied up under the dash and hood and where to put the fuse and how to hook up the 12V power to the 7 pin plug.  I have a 2007 Silverado.

atoybbacs said:
Hi folks...I just bought a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with tow package. Do I need to install a trailer brake controller or is it built in? I know this may be a dumb question but I've owned only older trucks that I had to install a brake controller. Thanks in advanced.

Are you real sure you don't have one?  We have a 2007 Chevy 2500 HD with tow package and we have the built in trailer braking system.  There is a small icon with a - and a + on either side on the bottom left of the dash.  That is the brake adjustment; it's all built in. 

Just  a thought.

Marsha~

I'm not sure if I got one or not. I got the big blue wire running to the plug in the back that's suppose to be for the brakes  I got and the fuse in position number 1 that donn told me about and the tow button??

I went outside and checked, didn't see any small icon with a - and a +. Guess I not that lucky.

GMC and Chevy trucks never had the option for a built in factory brake controller until the new body style came out in late 2007, so in your 06 you will have to install an aftermarket controller just like you have done in the past.

If you go with Aftermarket controllers....

The yardstick by which others measure their product is the Prodigy P-3 from Tekonsha Engineering

I actually know where Tekonsha is, if you can believe that.

Back
Top Bottom