Eliminate Hot Water. Convert To Storage. Suggestions Please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjb8000

In our older 16' towable, the hot water heater does not work. I would much rather eliminate the heater and have the space for outside accessable storage anyway.
With the unit removed, the opening is 13"x13". I would need a door/frame to fit this opening (or I could enlarge the opening size). Has anyone done this before or have any suggestions on where to find  such a kit?

kjb8000 said:
In our older 16' towable,  I would much rather eliminate the heater

Did you run this no hot water by your other half? No hot water, unless it's summer, is a killer. You might be able to locate a used unit at Walt's RV Surplus in Fontana, Ca. If you stiil want to eliminate the WH, fab your own box and door.
http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Walts.RV.Supplies.909-823-0563
J

Did you run this no hot water by your other half?
Yes, it's ok with her. We only use the trailer during summer months and we both hate using the water closet.

Personally I would not want an RV, TT, or any of them without hot water.  I want to bathe and wash my dishes without having to heat water in some manner.  I agree would be a problem with resale I would think.

This would be another way to get out in the boonies and being a trailer would be better then a tent, anyday on my old body ;D

This is an older 78 (Lionel) camper and I'm not to concerned about resale value. We don't mind using the public showers (more room for washing those hard to get at places & much better acoustics for singing).
Getting back to my question...does any one know where I could purchase extruded aluminum online? I have the tools and skills to fabricate the door and frame, I can't seem to find the materials to do it.

Lowe's or Home Depot sell all sorts of aluminum.  Heck you already have a door from the WH.  Simply put a piece of sheet metal inside to cover the vents and mount it and you are done.

I decided to build a frame/door without destroying the hot water unit. I can switch it back if needed. I was able to scrounge the aluminum parts so all I had to purchase was a lock and piano hinge.
I can fit the hose, extension cord and levelling jacks in there. Thank you for the good advise.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/tobooty2000/camper/hw4.jpg

You weren't kidding when you said "I have the skills", very nice door.
J

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom