Our first trip, we had a ball!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

PatrioticStabilist

Sue Anne and I just got home about an hour ago.  We are home a day early but we had a blast.

The internet didn't work down there at the Matagorda Bay campground, they just got it working today, no TV, we didn't think it would work either. We had my small Bose radio is all, really strange for us, can't remember the last time we weren't wired, but honestly this was good.  She was out and about, made friends with people and dogs too.  Nobody was catching fish, the manager of the park said they hadn't been for some time.  Still she sat there trying.  Yesterday I took her river edge, we were at the mouth of the Colorado At Matagorda. We watched shrimp boats come in and out, saw an alligator. Saw a guy paragliding.  The crabs were biting on the shrimp and the bobbers, so she sat there and caught crabs and  watched a bunch get away and had an absolute ball.  She got about as much sun as I've ever seen her get.  I put lotion on her so it didn't burn though her knees are a bit red.

They had built a new bridge over the ship channel down there and I swear it was straight up.  Thank God it said 35 mph, I doubt I could have done more, I had to go up it in 2nd.  And I thought I wouldn't be climbing any mountains!  The view from the top was something else. They had locks going both ways, not sure how big the ships were coming through it and how far up they go, kind of hard to get a real good look while drivng, but it was some view.

The waterfront pier on the ocean side was closed, the last storm damaged it I guess.  They were working frantically rebuilding I assume a breakwater, the dump trucks were hauling up until 11 at night, suppose they are trying to get the beach ready for summer.

I'm glad the internet wasn't working or I wouldn't have been able to get her out of the motorhome.  I'm sure we had the oldest one there.  There were a couple of those beyond expensive rigs.  I think they are beautiful .  Met a couple of people who were full timers, he was retired from the military. 

Humm, I'm thinking don't all women go fishing wearing earrings and makeup?  I thought so, humm, apparently not.

The wind last night absolutely howled and they said bad today.  I got up this morning trying to decide what to do today, but something niggled at me that maybe we should go.  I went out and walked around the motorhome and saw a tire on the tag axle going flat.  That made up my mind as we were 30 miles from anywhere with service basically. Those tires are only 4 years old.  I loaded everything, asked a couple of the guys if they had compressors, of course, they didn't, they had the automatic inflating systems for their motorhomes, I should have known.  So I got the managers husband and he had a compressor and aired it up.  Then I started to check and see in Bay City who had road service in case I needed it. Of course my phone wouldn't work, said I didn't have enough money on it to make a call.  Never ever happened before, I always get a notification if its getting low, this time it just quit.  I wondered why hubby hadn't called me yesterday, he had and it said no service, I'm sure he panicked.

I started out for Bay City and stopped a couple of times on the way to check and make sure its up, if they blow out or go flat can take out the fender of that side, water tank, etc.

About the time I get to Bay City hubby calls and wonders what happened, I explained and told him I had to go find a shop.  First Sue Anne and I grabbed a WhataBurger, then we found a Firestone shop with big trucks behind.  We stopped in there and a guy changed it, he found a huge screw in the tire. Where did I get that?? Hubby calls again, I said please we are fine, oh I just thought they should change the valve stem.  I ask the guy, of course, it was already mounted, he said no you have a good steel one. Only charged me $10 for taking it off, repairing and putting back on.  I don't know what I was thinking should have gave him a good tip and didn't, good grief, super cheap.  I watched him do it, so I could see.  A little different then a car, he didn't raise it very far at all. But I wanted to see how he put the cover and all that stuff back on and did. The funny part is I had signed up for Coachnet but just the day before. I didn't want to have to call them, hard to beleive the day after you sign up something happens.  So that worked out good.  But driving home the wind blew like crazy.  We went west up 60, 36, 159, 290, to 2920.  Good state roads, not a lot of traffic, good scenery and didn't have to drive but 60 and 65.  About half way home when we turned a different direction the wind started hitting us from the side.  At first I thought it was just me, then I saw semis wavering around too.  For quite a few miles I had to really pay attention.  Of course now not bad at all here.

I am seeing about getting Sirius Radio  in the motorhome though, I need MUSIC and news to drive by.  I'm also not taking the cushions and ladder over the passenger compartment.  I stacked them and pushed the panel back which allowed her and I easy access to the front cab. Sue Anne was in bed by 9 and sound asleep, I stayed up late reading.  We both slept good, so happy I had the mattresses made, they were wonderful to sleep on, as good as the house.  We had no trouble in the tub, sure its small but it worked well.  Hooked up to park water we had plenty.  Neither one of us ran out of hot water and I think its only a 6 gallon tank, the shower must conserve it well.

We had pancakes, I made bean soup, had cinnamon buns one morning.  I baked pizza, and made home made sugar cookies.  The oven I bought isn't the greatest but we managed, had to turn it hotter and cook longer.  Never could get my old propane stove to work, but with the wind, couldn't have used it anyway. May have to buy another one.

We had a great time.  She and I both loved it. She wanted to go more places, but that is a problem, my tenant is feeding the dog, getting the mail, and feeding my chickens and letting them out and shutting them up. I hate to ask him to do it for long periods of time.  The guy is retired and hubby says he doesn't care gives him something to do and feel like he has a purpose.  Well maybe.

Anyway we had a great time

Boy, that's about one of the best maiden voyage stories I've heard in a long time.  Sounds like you got to experience so much stuff that most people take a year's worth of trips to collect!  Great job you two!  We'll be heading over to La Grange next weekend.  Gotta check out the Chicken Ranch!  And get the second trip in the new 5er and truck! 

Anyway, so good to see you had a great trip, and survived a minor 'hiccup'!

Glad to hear you had a good time. Lucky you, we woke up to 4 inches of cold wet snow this morning !

Wendy

Glad you had a good time. Your story makes me want to get back out there again.

PatrioticStabilist said:
I am seeing about getting Sirius Radio  in the motorhome though, I need MUSIC and news to drive by.
Years ago I said that I would never pay for something (radio) that I could get for free.

Then we planned a cross-country road trip and I thought I would give satellite I try. Now, I'm a firm believer in it. I've tried going without, but even around town now it would be really hard to live without it--LOL!

I have Sirius in my Lincoln truck.  At first it was free and hubby said its silly to pay for that.  Well, we took one trip to Indiana where you had good music and/or news all the way and he has never said another word.  But the big plus is he can sign in on my Sirius membership overseas and get the same great music.  He loves the really old country.  DD signs in on her computer, dad taught her how, I don't even know how and she listens to her music plus she found a books channel where they read stories to you, she loves that.  I'm thinking that the radio for the truck may be too expensive though, we shall see, seems like I saw it on my invoice as $1200, but mine has a big subwoofer I don't need.  You listen to the radio for a short time and it will run the battery down but quick. 

I had a small stand alone Sirius radio but the thing was to complicated to use.

We had no idea how the motorhome would do.  I checked the oil after driving down there and no usage, same with transmission fluid, the oil was still clean and clearn, going to check again, didn't this afternoon. Hubby changed it twice and the filter, once after going on our overnight trip, and once just running around here, even though the seller said all fluids were changed, he said it wouldn't hurt just in case it hadn't been changed regularly. Haven't seen any drips on the ground from anything.  I guess I just keep expecting the worst, its just we never buy vehicles that old and of course since I bought it, it would be a, I told you so :p. Well you never know and then with a lot of miles on it. Of course it wasn't all that far either.  But I already see more trips on the horizon.  But she wants internet service, humm, have to deal with that.

There's a couple of ways you can deal with both the Internet and Sirius Satellite.  You could actually do both at once depending on how you want to listen.  You can get the Internet via your cell phone (it would be called something like a "Data Plan" that uses your cell phone), or you could get a separate aircard that could be billed to your cell phone account.  That would get you Internet just about anywhere you get cell phone service.  Also remember that many campgrounds now have wireless Internet service already.  It would then just be a matter of making sure your laptop has a wireless NIC card in it.

As for the Sirius, if you have your Internet connection taken care of, you could always just stream it through your computer.  You could get the external speakers for the computer, and there you go.  But if you wanted a little more elaborate and permanent solution, you could either replace the stereo in your rig (if you have an in-dash, which I presume you do), or as you had at one time, the portable units. 

I have had all of the above, and I kinda wanted to get satellite (XM in my case) in my trailer as well, but we found we just don't really listen to it enough to justify the extra cost.  So we just do without it, and listen to whatever local stations we pick up.  I still have my XM in the truck!

If you want to know more about any specifics, just ask.  I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses and help.

Sue Ann and Carolyn,

Thank you for  sharing the joys of your first experience.  It reminds us why we  do this life style.  Your way with words paints very clear pictures and makes me wish I too had been fishing.  I  likely would not have on make up and  jewelry as  fishing attire however. 

Your boundless energy and positive attitude is going to inspire many  to get  out and go.

Betty

Where can I buy some of this "Boundless Energy"?  It doesn't seem to come in my size..  ;D

Almost 75 but feel like 39, I think.

carson FL

Carolyn,

It sounds like you had a great first trip.  Thank you for sharing it with us.  Like Betty said, you describe things quite vividly.  Methinks Sue Ann will be a dyed-in-the-wool RVer before very long!  And you handled your first roadside service very nicely.  You two are going to make quite a pair around the campgrounds!

By the way, it might be nice for Sue Ann if you were to keep a camping diary of some sort.  Start with this one (maybe copy it into a separate file) and keep it in your computer for future memories.  You could have a folder of just your camping trip adventures.  If you have a digital camera you could even include your photos.

ArdraF

I ordered a Sirius Radio yesterday.  The rep said this one just hooks into the regular radio and of course uses those speakers.  They are good no issue with them.  He said it comes with vehicle kit.  They must be slow on sales, he said they had a special, the $129 radio with kit was $39 plus tax and shipping $51.16.  Then when I get it I'm to call for activation and at that time will cost $35, $15 of which is the activation fee.  It's $20 for 3 months, that will get it on the same billing cycle as my other truck one and I pay for a year at a time.  The good thing is this can also be used in my husbands truck or transferred to another RV.  I hope its as it sounds, but I have 30 days to return it if I don't like how it works.  If its useable at all I don't see that happening.

Now onto to TV, maybe a different attena, tenant said this one isn't working at all, so likely needs replaced, maybe with something from Direct TV.  I saw people have ones that sat on the ground and not all that big.

One guy down from us was up on his unit for hours  trying to do something with his crank up.  I kept hearing him say, can you see it now?? Then a lot of what? what?  It was getting dark and it didn't sound like they ever got it working. Radio will help, then move along to tellie.

Sounds like some parks have WiFi which will work for us too. Her laptop has wireless installed so is ready for that.

Back
Top Bottom