Something to think about Friday, Veteran's Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quasi

Click here

It's the Soldier, not the reporter
who has given us the freedom of the press.

It's the Soldier, not the poet,
who has given us the freedom of speech.

It's the Soldier, not the politicians
that ensures our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

It's the Soldier who salutes the flag,
who serves beneath the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag.

If you can read this, Thank a Teacher,
If you're reading this in english, Thank a Veteran.

Q

Wow, that is so-o-o-o-o true. Thank you for posting this message.

Regards,
Liz, whose dear husband Jack is a Vietnam veteran.

Some things are worth saying and some things are worth repeating.  That was the latter.  Family full of Veterans.  Even our daughter. 

PancakeBill,
We are heading to Virginia the week after Thanksgiving to attend a re-enlistment ceremony for my daughter. She's currently out in the Atlantic on the Enterprise and due back about then. My son spent 6 years in subs and I'm an old Air Force guy. I have several relatives and in-laws who were concerned that I would "let" my children join the military. I raised them the best I knew how and allowed them to make their own decisions while reminding them that they were responsible for their own actions. Today, both of my children are solid citizens, making their own decisions, earning their own living and ( I think) making a difference in the world while I still have quite a few nieces and nephews that haven't quite made it out of Mom and Dad's house yet. Is 35 too old to be semi-dependent? While I would like to take credit for my kids successes so far, I know that the tough times and responsibilities of being self supporting and commited to  something that was rarely a lot of fun but sticking with it anyway, came in large part from the military.

Putting away soapbox,

Q

Q, cool. I too am on old air Force guy.  My daughter and son in law are stationed at VA Beach.  Som in law just re-enlisted last July, he is over 8 now.  My niece just r-enlisted in the Navy, this one will bring her to 10.  She is in Photo.  My son is Air Force!  Finally one that listened!  He is Air Traffic Control, currently stationed in Korea, and moast currently asleep, next to me on the guest bed next to my computer desk.  Home on leave.  His time on leave will be split here and back in RI among family and friends.  He will go over 4 in March on his way to finishing a 6 year enlistment. 

His big question to wrestle with now is when getting out, stay ATC, or finish getting rated as an airline pilot.  He is commercial and instrument already, but needs to get multi and turbo.  Both are good careers.  Airline pilot for a major has most benefit for Mom and Dad!  He will make his own decision.  He is working it all out in his mind at this pojnt.

As to family members, we are blessed, my nephew, brother to niece in Navy is a chef at a good restaurant in PA, Next older niece is working on Masters while working in banking.  Brothers kids are still in school nephew in top 3 in class, varies by test at this point, he is considering which college. his sister and brother following in his footsteps. 

So, as we pass by Veterans Day and give thanks for our past and present veterans, we go forward to Thanksgiving, and give thanks for our bounty, both family and our more material blessings. 

Amen and pass the cornbread!

Q,

You can certainly take credit for a large part of the success your kids have achieved. There's no doubt that the military instills disipline and teamwork in all that succeed but the parents are the ones that have molded them to accept the above.

Our son is a Commander in the Navy and just became Commanding Officer of the USS Ramage, DDG-61 in August. During the Change of Command ceremony he acknowledged our role in his success. Obviously the kids do the majority of it but without parents for early guidance they might not do as well. I think one of the most important parts of parenthood is guiding but letting them decide on their goals in life. Forcing them in a direction is certain to fail.

Hi Bill,

I was about to send a note to Pancake Bill about a member who also has a son in Korea until I realized it was you!!!! ;D

Jim
Son is home on leave right now.  Was here in FL till today, flew back up to RI.  Get this, for the weekend he will be on staff at the camp he was a counselor at during high school. l  They are having a conference for Jr High kids,  He is using his leave from Korea to help out up there.  Boy makes me proud! 

Yesterday I took him over the my glider club, I was taking a lesson and he went up for a fun flight.  He landed it right on the numbers!  Of course he has hundreds of hours in motorized planes, but he did great.  I did better on this flight than last one.  Getting better at limiting the amount of input to give. 

You back? 

Bill,

Great that your son is home for a while. Hope he gives the camp a pep talk on what the military can do for them. Nothing like the voice of experience. :) Tried to get our son to turn left out of Nassau yesterday but he kept going north. Hope he can bring the ship into Port Canaveral someday soon. Yes, they all make us proud.

No fair comparing your performance with his. He's really cheating. ;D Sounds like you're doing OK.

Yes, we're back and haven't stopped since we arrived. Joined the Navy League last year and we've had three functions this week alone with them. The Destroyer USS James E. Williams was in so we toured her on Sunday and had a pizza party for the wardroom Sunday night. Tuesday we toured NOTU, Navy Ordinance Test Unit, at the Canaveral Air Station. They do all the missile exercises for our Navy and others in the Atlantic. Today was a meeting with the Navy League RV club here at TGO! Then there was car service, tree trimming, etc, etc. Tomorrow we take friends to the Orlando airport and I have a doctor's appointment in the afternoon. I told Pat I was NOT going to do anything next week!!!!

Please say hi to Jolene and your parents for us. We hope to get over there someday soon.

In Canada, we celebrate Remembrance Day Nov. 11. I was very pleased to read that the schools are starting to make a point of taking the kids to the Museum of the Regiments, Naval and Air Force Museums etc. and most importantly, giving them a chance to talk with veterans.

I am former RCAF (back when we still had a separate Air Force. Now it's all combined into Canadian Forces) I spent a couple of years in Europe with NATO forces.

I also have a brother in Norfolk Virginia who spent 24 years or so in the US Army, mostly Germany and Viet Nam. I'm very proud to say that he wrote the words and music for the official United States Army hymn and was able to sit in the presidential box with his family at Arlington when the U.S. Army band introduced it!

I know I'm shameless but I am very proud of my brother, Ralph Bowerman, but who will always be Lee to his family here.

John B.

John B.,

Nothing shameless there!!

Our son is now stationed in Norfolk. They are coming back today from a two week training mission.

Writing music is a gift, and one to be proud of.  Pretty neat to have that kind of recogniton! 

Maybe one of these times we can hook up in Nrfolk, now that both of us have family stationed there.  SIL is on the Shrevesport. 

I have a lunch waiting on you here!

Jim,
Your son isn't on the Big E is he? My daughter has been at sea for two weeks and she'll be docking in Norfolk this week.
Q

Q,

No, he's the C.O. of the Ramage, DDG-61. Destroyer sailor all the way. ;D ;D He took command on 26 August. They were in Nassau last weekend. I think they were chasing subs...ours. :) Perhaps they were working together on the training mission.

Fred Thomas was on the Big E and I think there might be a couple more here who were also.

Looks like everyone who has kids in the navy has them at Norfolk. Our son is on the USSN Hyman
Rickover. They just got back a couple of weeks ago from unknown places.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I guess since almost half our Navy is in Norfolk there's a good chance many will be stationed there. ;D Subs are the most secretive. When one is coming into Port Canaveral nobody knows until after they are tied up, that includes the Navy League!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom