Creative float boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
This morning Chris told me "look out the window at that guy's boat". Interesting to see how he'd rigged 6 rod holders on his float boat. He was navigating around the boat docks using flippers, and only needed to use the oars in open water.

Attachments

• Float_boat.jpg
    Float_boat.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 82
Marc, the only time I used a float boat was when I rented one at Bridgeport Reservoir. It was blowing quite hard that day, and I couldn't get anywhere with flippers, and I was really fighting the wind when rowing.

The main use of these boats in northern California is to float down a river, casting a fly on the way. Then use the oars to get to shore at a take-out point, and hope your ride is there to take you back upstream to your car,

Attachments

• Float_boat-TJ.jpg
    Float_boat-TJ.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 46
It would serve him right if he got hits on all 7 at the same time :)  That would be fun to watch.

I've seen as many as 15 rods (all deployed at once) on a small john boat with two guys CRAPPIE fishing on a local lake.  I'll have to try to dig up my pictures.

There are actually fisherman who go after billfish with these things.  I like something a little more substantial between me and a fish with a weapon. 

Ned, he was using only one rod at a time. The rod holders were being used for storage of unused rods. He switched rods 3 times in the few minutes I talked with him and snapped the pics.

I know.  I seem to recall there is a limit to the number of rods you can use at one time.  But that may have been just WI inland lakes.

Number of rods/lines can vary by type of fishing too.  For ice fishing on inland waters, we are allowed 5 dead lines and 1 live one.  So when we go check the dead lines, we have to remove our live line from the water, otherwise it becomes a 6th dead line and that's not allowed.

The main reason this bass fisherman had 6 rods was that each one was rigged with a different lure or bait, allowing him to switch quickly and easily. He started out with a frog, switched to a spinner, then switched to an artificial worm. I usually have 4 or 5 rods rigged and ready to go when I take the bass boat out. One of them may have a duplicate setup for the occasion when I get snagged or have a dreaded overrun (aka bird's nest) on a reel.

Only one rod at a time allowed in inland waters here, although IIRC multiple rods are allowed when fishing for salmon in the Pacific. That might have changed in the last few years due to the reduction in salmon population.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom