5th wheel with a Mega Cab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharp21

I'm in the market for a new truck & came across a nice Mega Cab.  I know the extra cab room comes at a loss of bed length, so am wondering if towing a 5th wheel is still going to be possible.
S.

If the Mega cab is on a shorter wheel base that only allows for less than a 6.5 foot bed, then 5W towing is all but impossible. However, from what I can see on the Dodge truck website, the 2010 Dodge 2500 Mega cab and Crew Cab both come with the 6'4" short bed, so it ought to be [barely] ok. Might want to get a slider hitch or something like the Sidewinder, which assures you can maneuver a trailer without concern to for reduced clearance of the short bed.

Just make sure it does not have a 5.5 or 6 foot bed as is used on some other brands/models. Take a tape measure with you!

After reading all the crewcab shortbed fifthwheel posts in the last month, I am starting to regret my 5.5' box.  I saw a few nice units I could have easily upgraded to, but cannot. 

While the Mega cabs are nice, they are notorious for having low GVWR ratings.  Primarily I believe because of the added weight and passenger carrying capacity.  Lots of folks use them for towing, but if it is a 2500 you will be very quickly overloaded with any fiver over about 10K GVWR.  In reality to stay within the vehicles ratings you would be wiser to consider a travel trailer of get a 1 ton dually mega cab.  The short bed is the same short bed on all Dodge trucks, so don't let that worry you.  BTW there are converters out there that can make it a long bed for you for around 8 grand.  Many people have done that and are quite satisfied with the results.

Sorry I should have specified that it IS a one ton dually that I'm looking at. 

I currently have a 1990 Dodge Dually, but need to upgrade to 4 doors...  I like the look of the Mega Cab but I eventually want to upgrade from my 30' bumper pull to a big 5th wheel toy hauler.  If the mega cab is going to limit my choices then no deal, as I only use my truck for hauling.

And I'm looking at an 06-07.  Can't afford the 2010...  :mad:

S.

OHHHH !!!
Wish you would have mentioned that in the first place.
GET IT, and get the fiver and don't look back.
The only thing you really need to worry about is getting a slider hitch.
Does it happen to be a Resistol edition?

So you are saying that with a slider hitch I won't be limited to certain slider style 5th wheels?  Because this truck I'm looking at has pretty much everything I want.

I had to search to see what a Resistol version was.  Very nice!  I love a good two tone...  But no, the one I'm looking at is murdered out.  (Lets see if you need to search for that!)

Why do you have one for sale?

S.

The only limiting factor I think might effect your trailer decision would be an extended pin box.  Many have it from the factory, some don't.  Do not consider adding one, as it could effect your frame adversely.  But those that have them ( mine included) work great with or without a slider hitch.  A slider hitch is mounted in your truck and depending on the model you choose manual or automatic you will need to unlatch and allow it to slide back when jacking into a tight spot requiring you to move to an angle greater than about 45-50 degrees.  Some really nice used fivers like Alpenlite do not use extended pins and therefore I would not recommend one of those.

Most 5W today have an extended pin box or can be configured with one. And a standard short bed, 6'4"-6'6", is fine with them. Many people use a sliding hitch with a short bed to eliminate the possibility of striking the cab with the front of the trailer when backing into a sharp turn, but those are seldom actually required.

A  Sidewinder pin box could be used if needed and it's a great arrangement in any case.

Ford and GM have an ultra short bed that is used on half ton trucks with a short wheel base and on specialty vehicles like the Explorer Sportrac. It's about 5'0"-5'6" long and is simply too short for a 5W set up. Stay away from that sort of thing and you are all set.

I tow off the back of my welding rig about 12 inches off center of axle , with the welder turned sideways behind the cab.  Its not bad down the highway but you have to pay close attention when turning sharp, especially when backing.  Not sure about the mega cab but I bet it'd be the same way.

Great advice guys!  The RV forums are just as friendly as the campgrounds!

I won't have a problem with a half ton, as I'll never go that small for towing.  We did 5000 miles last summer & I want to tow with ease.

S.

Boy. i just had to join this site, just to chime in on this thread!  ok, I HAVE A MEGACAB. and i have NO issues towing 10k!  my pin weight is 1500, and the truck does not squat at all.  i started out with a chaparral of 32 ft and had no problems, other than the marathons on it, and have since moved to a 2010 cougar318SAB.  Now i have a newly designed front cap that gives me alittle more room to turn, and OH, did i mention the hitch is FIXED!  yeah, this thread strikes a nerve........
  i see this type of combo come up every now and then, and everybody starts throwing out the weight deal,and the next thing you know, you have that person convinced he needs a 1 ton to pull a pop up!  Heres the REAL truth about this combo.  you can stop faster than you can get going, and your mileage WILL be anywhere from 8MPG to 11MPG.

Now that its off my chest, No, you cant get a big toy hauler with a megacab, you gotta be resonable, but their is PLENTY to choose from even using THAT truck.  sorry for the hostile words, but it REALLY urks me.....

Its all good buddy!  I'd jump all over a mega cab with 6 speed if the right one comes along.

That said, I'm trying to buy a truck that is going to last me for the next 20years, no matter what I end up pulling, so it'll likely be a long box...

S.

And welcome to RV Forum, gnarlykaw!!! You really know how to jump in with both feet!

...and everybody starts throwing out the weight deal,and the next thing you know, you have that person convinced he needs a 1 ton to pull a pop up!
Reviewing this thread, I don't see anybody doubting the ability of the Megacab truck to handle the weight. We've all been discussing bed length and fifth wheels. Only one post mentions a possible low GVWR and Sharpe21 says he is looking at a 1 ton anyway.

I also had to join to chime in here!
I think you will be happy with the mega dually....and with the right set up, you will be fine.  We use a 06 SRW 3500 Mega to tow a 13k 32' 5er.  Has approx 10" pin box extension and we use a manual slider hitch.  I can get into pretty tight places with the hitch forward and have never had any trouble getting into parking lots or fuel stops with it forward.  Locked forward, it would hit the cab if I got tight enough and wasn't watching.  With the hitch locked back, I can get to full 90 degree jack knife with about 3" to spare. 
After owning a Megacab, I don't think I could go back to a crew cab truck.....although, the bed does fill up quick when your trying to haul stuff!  Good luck, hope this helps a little! 8)

As a side note....GVWR on my truck is 9900 lbs.  It is a 4x4 as well....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom