Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone and Glacier Parks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
W

Weewun

We plan to leave right after July 4th Holiday and go to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone and Glacier Parks.  After Glacier we will go on to Vancouver Washington and see my Family (what remains) and then down the Coast Highway to the Redwoods and on to Death Valley. We will be leaving from NC. 

I will appreciate your input as to: 1. The best Routes, 2. Places to see and stay (prefer full hookups) in Route  and at major locations, 3. Length of stay at each location to properly see the Attractions, and 5. Anything else (wisdom) you wish to add.

One thing I would like you to consider while providing your advice is that I am afraid, make that very scared, of heights and edges (narrow roads with drop-offs).  We will be in a 40' DP towing a Tahoe.

Thks for all your advice 

Absolutely and positively do not go to Death Valley before October. You will melt. Your RVs A/C can't handle 120 degrees. Go to the south rim of the Grand Canyon or Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks instead.

Ditto what Tom said. Death Valley in October still hits a high of 100+ and even early November is prone to hit the 90s for high temps.

How long of a trip are you planning on? That's a lot of miles you're looking at.

If you don't like heights and edges, you may not enjoy the Rocky Mountains or the Sierra Nevada Mountains. They scenery is spectacular but there are drop offs and edges.

Wendy

After Rushmore, try to spend a few days in Cody Wyoming. Especially see the museum, will take at least a day. Take the drive through the Beartooth senic highway, in the toad, we spent two days there. The roads through Yellowstone are very RV friendly and would recomment a few days in Jackson Hole.

While at Mt. Rushmore, be sure to take in the evening show at the monument. It is awesome! Also take a drive through Custer State Park in the toad. Do not get out and try to feed the donkeys or get close to the buffalo!!! Watch them from the safety of your vehicle.

From the other 40 foot DP/Tahoe combination from NC --

Check out this blog: http://www.mmgandddgtravels.blogspot.com/

Glacier and Mt Rushmore are covered in the September postings and Yellowstone/Tetons in May-June.

What a wonderful trip you have ahead of you!

Enjoy it all!

Don and Mary Ann

The Humbolt Redwoods State Park on Hwy 101 has always been one of our favorite places in a state full of great places. You've undoubtedly found in your planning that there is a road called The Avenue of the Giants, which parallels 101 between about mile marker 674 and 645.  Make sure you drive this road rather than staying on 101.  We've done it twice now in our big rig and got through just fine.  There are a variety of dedicated groves in the park which make good lunch stops, etc.  Our favorite is Williams Grove.  If you want to return to 101 before getting to the end, there are three or so places where it crosses 101 where you can rejoin the highway.

Hope you have a great trip!

Bob & Sue

Thks for the input and plz keep it coming.  Am transferring your input to our Trip Sheet and develop a route. 

I shall post my route when completed and invite your input about heights and edges.

As a substitute for Death Valley in the hot season, I recommend the Owens Valley and the Eastern Sierra Mammoth Lakes country along US395.

The scenery includes snow capped 14,000 foot mountains, lakes, Bowie Ghost Town NHS, Mono Lake, volcanos, hot springs, 3000 year old Bristlecone pines, and excellent trout fishing.  The deadly heat that hits Death  Valley is ameliorated by 3500-8500 foot altitudes. 

The route would be Tahoe to Carson City, NV, then south on US395 thru Bridgeport, Lee Vining, Mammoth Lakes, Bishop, and Lone Pine.  See http://www.395.com/  and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_395_in_California and  http://easternsierra.us/

For a non interstate change, try crossing the middle of Nebraska on NE 91, NE 2, US 385. Pleasant and you get to see a national forest (totally had planted)in the center of the state. 385 takes you up to Hot Springs where there is a marvelous Mammoth excavation inside a building. I think there is a stonehenge replica along 385, but has parking only for cars.

Brookings OR I like the Cg on the beach on the souhth side of the harbor.

If you take Russ' advice about 385 N thru Nebraska, lengthen the trip by a few miles and take in Scottsbluff, NE. 

What ever you do do not miss the july 4th fireworks...they are absolutely awesome.  Also, if you go, don't drive...check around and get a bus to take you there.  Private car parking is nonexistent and the bus drops you off and picks you up at the front gate. 

Do not miss this show!!!

What timing!  The monthly issue of Motorhome Magazine that arrived this week has a several page article on routes to take and things to do and see in the Mt Rushmore area.

Check into the Crazy Horse museum, mountain and nightly laser show.  Ride back to Devils tower.  We did death valley in the summer, yes it was 120 when Betsy stood at the lowest point, however we did not know if we would ever get back there so it was worth the heat to see it.

If you are close to Custers last stand it is a good stop.  Wall drug is interesting to see at least once( they have ample parking for your unit)

We usually pin a USA map to cork board and use stick pins to plot our course.  ONce the course is plotted we look on state maps as they provide more detail as to sites to see along the route.  After our initial route outlay we frequently change course to take in a nearby site.  Also, the Internet searchs for sites to see in the various towns we are gong through.  The chamber of commerce site usually offer information on their area.  When you get to Glacier you may want to look into a bus tour.  The road to the Sun is everyting you disribed you don't like, heights, narrow, straight down, don't miss it.

I find plannning, reading, surfing the net, magazines, others experiences, studying maps and laying out the trip is half the fun for me.  You may want to browse the book shelves at your local book stores ideas.

these forums are great source of information, blogs, travel, etc.  We are currently at Hide a way  rv park, West Yellowstone, MT.    Escapee discount, 50a fhus, wifi free, level, cable, 22 degrees last  night and snowing.  Saw lots of buffal, elk and one wolf yesterday.  Off to look for Bears this afternoon.

Enjoy the journey

Russ

We made the trip last summer--you will have a fabulous time.  We left from NC and stayed at Deer Park(pass port America) the 1st night.  Beautiful location on a lake.  Hannibal, Mo was worth a stop for one night--I'm a Mark Twain fan.  Spent the next night in Onawa, Ia on the way to Custer, SD.  We drove through the Badlands on the way to Custer.  We did stop for one night in Wall, SD.  Rushmore is great--night show, Crazy Horse is even better.  After several days in Custer we stopped at Thermopolis, Wy and proceeded to Tetons-not to be missed and Yellowstone-not our favorite.  Then to Glacier NP-Fabulous.  Whidbee Island, Wa was great.  Word quota has run out.  I can supply more if you want.   

We should exchange emails.  We're doing something very similar and leaving at the same time.  We'll almost certainly see you on the road.  If you see this, say hi.

Attachments

• truckncap.jpg
    truckncap.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
We're visiting these same attractions starting roughly the same time frame:  will be in Hill City, SD on July 8....  then Grand Tetons, then Yellowstone, then Glacier.  Will keep an eye out for you.

DTimothy

The scenery includes snow capped 14,000 foot mountains, lakes, Bowie Ghost Town NHS,

Carl, I know you know your sightseeing places in CA so I know this is a typo.  Walt will have a much easier time finding BODIE Ghost Town.  ;)

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Carl, I know you know your sightseeing places in CA so I know this is a typo.  Walt will have a much easier time finding BODIE Ghost Town.  ;)

ArdraF

Fort Bowie NHS is in Arizona. Bodie Ghost Town is a California State Park - hopefully not one of the ones they've closed.

Wendy

You are going to have a wonderful trip. Go into Glacier from the east side because of your concerns about heights,etc. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom