Removing my dinette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

seilerbird

I am not finished with this project yet, but I have progressed far enough to show some photos. I decided to remove the dinette and replace it with a recliner because sitting at the dinette working on the computer was very uncomfortable. And a dinette that seats four is redundant since I am single. This is a 27 foot motorhome and there wasn't a lot of room in the living room/dining room area. By eliminating the dinette I am essentially making the living room larger. I am losing storage under the dinette seats, but I have more than enough storage already so it won't be missed.

The first photo shows the dinette right after I bought the rig. I had read several posts here from people who had removed their dinette and the consensus was that it was pretty easy to remove. Well Tiffin must be better built than the average motorhome because it was a royal pain to remove it. They certainly used more than their fair share of screws, bolts and staples.

I bought a 6' by 6' piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting at Home Depot and laid it down. The original carpeting has long since been removed everywhere except the front seat area and replaced by peel and stick floor tile. I want the living room carpeted but I am going to have to wait until I get to Texas this winter to have Ernie re-carpet the front seat area and the living room. So this piece of carpet is just temporary.

Then came my happy accident. The dinette table was three foot long by two foot wide. I wanted it to be one foot by two foot. So I cut it up and mounted the pole on the floor and put the one foot table on top of the pole. Oops, too short of a table. So I moved the pole a bit and used the two foot section of the table and it works perfectly.

Then I took some of the wall board that I removed from the dinette and cut it to fit the opening at the end of the kitchen counter. I put two pieces of backing inside the cabinet to stabilize the new end piece. I put two eye bolts with large fender washers into the end piece for attaching the chair. Then I cut a hole for the heat duct and then mounted it. I put two hooks into the back of the chair so it won't roll around while I am driving. The chair I selected was one I found in a thrift store for $7. I intend on replacing it with one that matches as soon as I can afford it.

The location of the dinette made it impossible to adjust the drivers seat to be located where I wanted it while I was driving. By removing the dinette and raising the drivers seat up four inches I can now put the chair where I want it and actually see the road.

Note to photographers: Check out the photos Dinette 1 and 2. Both were taken with my new Nikon P100 in the Active D-Lighting mode. That mode is designed for contrasting lighting situations and it did a pretty good job of exposing both the inside and the outside of the motorhome.

Attachments

• Allegro 15.jpg
    Allegro 15.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 367
  • Dinette 1.jpg
    Dinette 1.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 258
  • Dinette 2.jpg
    Dinette 2.jpg
    754.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Dinette 3.jpg
    Dinette 3.jpg
    759.5 KB · Views: 268
  • Dinette 4.jpg
    Dinette 4.jpg
    749.3 KB · Views: 216
I see the kitty has a nice home in the upper cupboard :)

We're been thinking for a couple of years about taking out the dinette and putting in a computer desk but haven't ever quite got to it. Maybe your pictures will inspire us.

Wendy

Nice job Tom.  One of the first renovations I did on my Southwind was to remove the dinette and install a roll top desk as a computer work station.  Wouldn't go back. 

Steve

That looks very nice and I know its way more useful, sure adds room doesn't it?  I love the kitty up there!

Nice. Plus, I'm going tocheck out that camera. Sometimes, when I take photos of my work, they don't come out well. Thanks

We pulled our dinette out, too.  It was just so uncomfortable. We did lose the under seat storage but what we gained in comfort more than made up for it.

Here's a few pics:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 139
  • chair01.JPG
    chair01.JPG
    663.7 KB · Views: 179
I'd love to do the same thing but am a little apprehensive about doing it myself although I am a very handy person. We'd like some storage against the wall, a table that we can move around so four can sit at it and play cards. Any suggestions would help. I have looked at some rv furniture sites.

Gary C.

Don't worry about screwing things up. If you get into something you can't figure out how to do then you can always call a professional. When I said taking mine out was a lot of work I was talking about physical labor. I didn't expect to work up a sweat. It was easy to figure out how to take it out, it was not easy to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom