U.S. to Canada? passport needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommadana

I just found out about a family reunion in Cardston but it says we need a passport to enter.  When I was 12 we went and I know that I didn't have a passport, mom either.  Have things changed or is there a way to travel for a few days in Canada with no passport?
Thanks!

I am afraid that times have changed. A Passport is now required..what a world??

To the best of my knowledge.

My wife and I were going to travel into Canada last spring, but at that time it was right on the edge of the new regulations taking effect.  You could travel into Canada with a birth certificate and a driver's license, but not drive back into the states once you were in Canada.  We decided to fore go the experience, as it was too iffy for us and there wasn't enough time to procure passports without paying a lot of extra money for expediting.

Since June of 2009, passports are needed for all border crossings according to the information I've gleaned then and since.  May as well head down to the post office with $90 or so in hand and sign up.

Well darn!  That's $600 for our family without expediting.  $1200 if we were to get them in time.  I guess that's out. 

Residents of the province of Qu?bec can now apply for an approved drivers license that can be used in lieu of passport to enter US by land only, they call it a Drivers License Plus.  It may be available in other provinces too. 

I know you are in the US so the above does not help you, but it is possible that certain states have the equivalent license to re-enter US by land.  You don't need a passport to enter Canada, just to return home.

mommadana said:
Well darn!  That's $600 for our family without expediting.  $1200 if we were to get them in time.  I guess that's out. 

In what state do you reside? New York State has some sort of enhanced I.D. card which I believe will allow you to cross into and out of Canada. Since we have had passports for years I have not looked into the details. In fact, that option may have been discontinued, for all I know. It might be worth a call to Homeland Security.

Richard

The world has changed greatly.  When I was a kid I was on my mother's passport.  Now everyone requires one, including children.  I never got my Social Security Number until I started working at age 16.  Now newborns get SSNs before they leave the hospital.

I think I read that something like 11 states have started issuing the enhanced driver's license with a star, but it takes time to get it.  The Nevada DMV was so swamped with people wanting them that they were on TV pleading with people not to come in unless their license was expiring or they otherwise HAD to get a new one.  The enhanced license won't be required for boarding airplanes for a couple of years but meanwhile you do have to have a passport to get back into the country so the days of showing a driver's license at the border are gone too.  The enhanced license requires you to show a lot of paperwork which for women and their name changes can be tricky because every name change has to be proven from birth certificate to marriage license and then proof of residency such as utility or tax bills.

ArdraF

Here's some links that I save that might help, gives locations where you can apply in person. Also a link on the passport card which is cheaper than the book.

http://www.visitcanada.com/PassportsAndCustoms.html
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html
http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

I just found out that the 50 dwarfs in our state legislature passed a law prohibiting AZ from issuing enhanced drivers' licenses. I will not start a political diatribe ...CENSORED...

You don't have to get the $90 full-blown passport. You can get the passport card which, I believe, is $40 and works for Canada and Mexico traveling by foot or vehicle. And there's some way that kids below a certain age go on their parents passport.

Wendy

And to think, it used to be "the land of the brave and the home of the free"  ;D  Now Americans can leave to visit Canada or Mexico, but need a passport to get home.  However, if you are in Arizona you will need proof of citizenship just to go outside the house :-[  Can someone explain to me how that's freedom?

Hfx_Cdn said:
    "the land of the brave and the home of the free"  ;D 

I believe that is "the land of the free and the home of the brave".  We're still free, still brave, just a little more prudent in light of recent events.  I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else. 

Margi

How is forcing people to carry citizenship documentation free mine heir.  Wait until the first time you get stopped and don't hve your papers on you, you'll be free to look between the bars.

After dealing with the wait at American customs, I really do recommend our visitors from the south get a passport before venturing over the 49th. An enhanced driver's license is also accepted. Will make it a bunch easier to get home.
Unfortunately bin Laden and his band of thugs have gotten everyone on edge, the world has changed and we best get used to it. We are very fortunate that we don't yet have a gendarme with an M-16 on every corner checking papers like many other countries but it could come if we let our guard down.

Hfx_Cdn said:
  How is forcing people to carry citizenship documentation free mine heir.  Wait until the first time you get stopped and don't hve your papers on you, you'll be free to look between the bars.

Excuse me?  Mine heir?  ::)  I don't believe I've ever been addressed in that way -- particularly not on this friendly forum.  :)

What's such a big deal about having to carry a passport?  We've carried one for years.  If it protects this land of the free and home of the brave, then it's a very minor travel inconvenience. 

Margi

You beat me to it Margi.

I sometimes wish we could go back to the days when San Jose airport was like a local bus depot. But, having traveled extensively for a living with a passport in my back pocket, I can say that our inconveniences today are really minor compared to many parts of the world.

Back
Top Bottom