U.S. to Canada? passport needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
utahclaimjumper said:
Bernie, I just retuned from Canada three months ago, take my word for it,YOU DO NEED A PASSPORT TO ENTER CANADA. When I presented our passports they were zipped thru a reader and handed back to us.>>>Dan ( before the rest of the questioning started)

Dan

My apologies, you are right. The last time we crossed into Canada nothing was needed but Canada changed the regulation last June and  a passport, or equivalent, is now needed.

utahclaimjumper said:
I remember those days to Bernie, but it looks allmost like there is retaliation going on.>>>Dan

Canada probably just wants to make sure Americans have passports so they can get back into the U.S. and Canada isn't stuck with Americans who can't get back into the U.S. because they don't have passports :)

Wendy

What blew me away was the bar-code thing being read with a reader, just zipped it thru and on your way, so obviously the two country's are sharing info.>>>Dan

And the whole thing started because the op wanted to know if he needed a passport to enter Canada ::).

Tim and I were in Canada last summer and fall. 

Both border crossings going each direction, also run your license plates on the RV or tow vehicle before you reach the "little person in the booth". 

When we crossed back into the US from Canada near Vancouver in 2006, we went through a battery of electronics that were both above, below and in the middle of the coach.

Marsha~

While they ask for your passport, I am almost certain that it is for the reason stated earlier.  Canada does not want to be put in the middle of US laws not allowing an American citizen back into the US.  The June 1, 2009 date relates to American changes not Canadian.  The Passport Canada website doesn't cover it, but here is an article by a fairly reliable site:  http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatravelplanner/qt/drive_border.htm 
    I guess Mexico hasn't taken similar action as we just walked into Mexico without anyone asking us who we were.
    As for sharing information, I hope not!! 
Ed

Heh, heh

Even the road border duty free shops want your license plate number before you can purchase anything!!!

We were crossing from Canada to the USA for our snowbird stint last year when the US guard asked us what our address would be in USA. I had a senior moment and managed to give the wrong address number (1598) and he said to me, "Did you mean 1698 ?" Of course he was right!!! It's scary how much they know!!!

And yes, both sides scan any passport presented, and yes, they do share info all the time, very easy now with everything being computerized.

BernieD said:
Dan

My apologies, you are right. The last time we crossed into Canada nothing was needed but Canada changed the regulation last June and  a passport, or equivalent, is now needed.

This is my understanding as well -- and it applies to crossing into any other nation that borders our own.  June 2009 was the time of the change, and since then passports (or a passport card) are required for entry and exit.

About the Arizona law, it is simply requiring the exercise of a law already on the books nationally.  There is no constitutional violation, nor are they turning Arizona into a police state.  You can be asked to provide state ID in any of the 50 states as far as I know.  Heck, before picture driver's licenses, it used to be a big deal to finally get your ID card, and that was a long time ago.  Nothing new here, except Arizona having the guts to craft a law that requires enforcement.  Weird how a bartender asking for ID is okay, but an officer of the law doing the same is a problem... 

glfredrick said:
Nothing new here, except Arizona having the guts to craft a law that requires enforcement.  Weird how a bartender asking for ID is okay, but an officer of the law doing the same is a problem...

One sticking point with many LEOs is "requires enforcement". They have no leeway, they must follow thru or face disciplinary action?????. Sometimes, we all may be better off if they chased murderers, rapists and robbers, but please, let us us stick to US/Canadian Passport requirements.

It's too bad that the "requires enforcement" is an issue.... it if weren't for the warped politians that have repeatedly gone out of their way to restrict enforcement of current laws, bribed judges and media driven loophole attorneys, making it entremely difficult to enforce current laws, all laws would be enforced as intended .... and supported by a just criminal system rather than those more interested in criminal justice rather than victums justice. 

Arizona, you have my full support for doing what's right .............. and doing it as the current law is intended .....
THANK YOU.....

I'm a problem solver, so to me a law must solve a problem.  So when I see a new law, I automatically have two questions:
- what problem are you trying to solve?
- will that law solve that problem?

Question 1 is usually easily answered.  For question 2 however, with the exception of obvious criminal laws like murder, robbery, rape, etc., most other laws are more meant as a PR tool so that the government gives the impression that they are doing something about it without ever being successful at fixing the problem identified. 

Sometimes, I even think they create problems so they can create a law that gives the impression of solving it.

That applies as much to our side as your side of the border and with a lot more than immigration and travel.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    As for sharing information, I hope not!! 
There have been a number of stories over the years in the newspapers stating that yes, US and Canada Customs do share information. 

There have been a number of stories over the years in the newspapers stating that yes, US and Canada Customs do share information

Sometimes I  think I recognized faces I've seen on the Canadian side appear on the U.S. side.  I wonder if on slow days, they swap uniforms and switch sides, just for variety :-X

;D

Steve said:
Sometimes I  think I recognized faces I've seen on the Canadian side appear on the U.S. side.  I wonder if on slow days, they swap uniforms and switch sides, just for variety :-X
I was going to state that the Canadians don't have pistols so the Americans wouldn't want to switch.  However Canada has recently started the process of arming their border guards. 

(There was a story a few years back of a small border crossing recently built on the prairies somewhere.  The govts decided to save money and build one building for both US and Canada.  However because the US folks aren't allowed to wear guns in Canada the washrooms had to be built on the US side.)

FWIW when I crossed the border on Sunday, I asked the border officer if a Passport was necessary to gain entry into Canada.  She advised me that the Law only requires a picture ID, but they have taken the "lazy" way out by asking for passports as one is required to gain entry into the US.  However, she assured me that if a US citizen wished to pass them an alternate form of picture ID they would be allowed into Canada.  I did not wish to push the issue, so I didn't persue the question of sharing informat6ion, but there too I am sure it is contrary to our laws.

Hello folks,

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I have traveled in both Canada and Mexico during the last year.  Our crossing into Mexico, including the preparatory paperwork took over half a day but this included the papers for a motorhome and a toad to be driven throughout Mexico.  There are extensive requirements regarding the vehicles.  Similarly, paperwork for traveling beyond the border region is very different from that needed for short excursions into the country.  When a traveler hits the military checkpoints located about fifty miles south of the border, they discover what an inspection of papers means.  FWIW, we were inspected about 25 times in our two months in Mexico, some were cursory, some detailed.  Returning to the states also took several hours at the border.  Most of this time was getting clearance for the vehicles, but some involved getting through a truckers' blockade.  We were passed through U.S. border quickly.  All-in-all we enjoyed the trip but there were some tense times, too, but that's another post.

More to the point, our crossing into Canada would have been a piece of cake except for the lack of agents to handle the flow.  The Alberta entrance we used had about ten gates but only two were staffed, one for trucks which flowed well and one for noncommercial, so it took about two hours to get to the gate and maybe ten minutes to be cleared.  Yes, we had passports and that speeded that process.  We returned to the U.S. via a less traveled route, had no wait, and were cleared in minutes.  Again, an enjoyable trip and no internal Canadian inspections, but we obeyed the laws of the country.

Safe travels to all

JT

Back
Top Bottom