New Bypass Bridge at Hoover Dam Expected to Open November 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazing shots !! BUT..my stomach turns over and my knees go weak just looking at them.  AND I get dizzy.  Don't think you could pay me enough to go over that thing.

Ruth

The decking is now in place -- so all of the suspension needed for the arches construction is gone. The cables carrying stuff are still there.

HERE is a slide show from Flicker.com by various levels of photographers -- the earliest image I see was taken on May 16, just a few days ago.

Stop it whenever you get tired (or sick to the stomach :))) because it will just go on and on.

Click the button in the lower right to toggle full screen -- and anywhere in the center of a pic to toggle descriptions on and off. You will note other options as well such as speed and such. You can click the Pause/Continue toggle to the left of the thumbnails.

You can then come back to this link periodically for new images that have been added.

Awesome pictures but I'm still not going over that thing. Would love to be a tourist standing on the dam, looking up at the bridge, tho. And the scariest thing in those pictures is how low the water is in Lake Mead.....Ardra, you and Jerry better fill up the motorhome before you head for home.

Wendy

Bob,

After seeing the photos on your link I realize how dated the photos my friend sent really were.  All in all, it's an awesome bit of construction, but like Ruth, I'm not fond of heights and I can feel it when I look at those aerials.

Steve

Steve,

Fantastic photos, regardless of recency.  The ones looking down on the bridge are amazing.  Wendy and Ruth, are you sure you don't want to be a rigger up there at the top of the span?  ::)  Just checking - me neither!

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Wendy and Ruth, are you sure you don't want to be a rigger up there at the top of the span?  ::)  Just checking - me neither!

ArdraF

I know those folks make BIG bucks but there's not enough money in the world to get me up there.

Wendy said:
I know those folks make BIG bucks but there's not enough money in the world to get me up there.

I watched a program last week about Big Fixes from National Geo. One of the Big Fixes was replacing an 11,000 pound antenna that was located on top of a 2000 foot radio tower in South Dakota. First they built a crane on top of the tower and lifted the old antenna to the ground, then hoisted the new one up there. I can't imagine being a rigger at 2000+ feet handling an 11k antenna.

Mike (ex-f-221) said:
:eek: ...
How to get me over that bridge:
- it has to be 15 lanes wide
- me in the middle lane
- 27 Valiums
- 100 mph to make it a short torture

I'm a bit like that, but it would also have to be a day with NO wind.

Luca1369 said:
I'm a bit like that, but it would also have to be a day with NO wind.

I'm the same way, Steve. The Bridge is designed for 100mph winds with safety factors on top of that, but my body is designed for much less. It seems with me a couple of near misses has led to my sometimes fear of heights beginning with almost being pushed over a guard rail coming off of Echo Summit from Lake Tahoe. But even when heights didn't bother me, I was always amazed at those with "absolutely" no fear -- such as steel riggers or tight rope walkers that do extreme stuff.

A few nights ago I caught the academy award winning documentary, MAN ON A WIRE -- about Phillippe Petit walking a wire they had stretched between the twin towers in '74. It was on Sundance Channel of DirecTV. After I realized that he was actually going to do it, I figured he would quickly cross over -- however, he stayed on the wire for almost an hour, tauting the police. To get used to the anticipated wind and movement of the towers his friends tugged on the wires of his practice setup.

If you guys feel this strong about NOT crossing the new bypass bridge at Hoover Dam, then don't ever consider crossing the Mackinac (pronounced Mackinaw) bridge in Michigan. It connects the upper peninsula of Michigan with the lower part of Michigan, spanning the Straits of Mackinaw. This suspension bridge is 5 miles long and absolutely spectacular!

Mariekie

mariekie4 said:
It connects the upper peninsula of Michigan with the lower part of Michigan, spanning the Straits of Mackinaw. This suspension bridge is 5 miles long and absolutely spectacular!

Mariekie

Ah, but how high is it above the water? Therein lies the rub, or paranoia.

Wendy

Wendy said:
Ah, but how high is it above the water? Therein lies the rub, or paranoia.

Wendy, until the Hoover Bypass bridge is completed, the MILLAU VIADUCT BRIDGE in France is the highest in the world above the water. It is a suspension bridge with the tallest tower (1125 ft), even taller than the Eiffel tower. The road bed is 820 ft above the water at one point -- about 80 ft lower than the roadbed of the Hoover Bypass bridge. However, it is much longer -- about 1.5 miles or so.

But notice the view seen by the drivers on the bridge. The railings are high, tho you can still see thru - and I'm sure you will see that type of railing on the Hoover bridge. So crossing won't be that bad. I did the Bay and Golden Gate hundreds of times into and out of San Francisco - and that didn't bother me at all. My nemesis is a steep drop off with "no" railing.

Wendy,

The Mackinac Bridge is high enough off the water to allow the 1000ft freighter to go under.  I have had the privilege of going under it and on it several times.  It is an amazing sight both under and above.

Attachments

• 01-Mackinac Bridge (Small).JPG
    01-Mackinac Bridge (Small).JPG
    514.1 KB · Views: 40
After the first 50 feet or so, it doesn't matter how high it is :)

I don't understand why anyone would be afraid to cross that bridge. Looks pretty safe to me.

I'd cross it and pay good $ to put on my gear and get a good view from the top of the tower. In my younger days I would have considered jumping if I could get a fast boat pick up on the bottom ;D

Back
Top Bottom