Need Rv advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amberali

I am interested in getting an Rv. Prefer a small (28ft) Class A... w/ a Diesel engine. Can not seem to find one, all seem to have ford V 10 gas engines. Anyone have somewhere I can investigate?
Thank You
Tom
Northern Calif

There are coaches based on the Mercedes Sprinter diesel chassis in that size - see the Winnebago View (Class C) and Via (Class A).
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/winnebago/2010/via/index.php

Another good bet is the new Allegro Breeze model from Tiffin. It's 28 feet and uses a Tiffin-designed Powerglide chassis and a Navistar MaxxForce diesel. Check it out at
http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/allegroBreeze/specs.php

The Four Winds Serrano is quite nice at 31 feet - see http://www.serrano-rv.com/

Hi Tom & welcome to The RV Forum. 

I will not try to talk you out to the diesel, but don't give the V-10 a bum rap.  It is quite an engine and in a 28 footer it will serve you well.  It will also be a lot more economical to maintain.  I would think the real advantage to the diesel would be the fact that it is a rear engine and provides a bit more room up front. 

Thank you for advise folks. I have a friend who has the V 10 and he says it is a real GAS hog. Said I should check out the diesel engine motorhomes. What are your thoughts on a V10? Like I said before , seems all the new rigs come with the v10...I am confused..really don;t want something over 28ft
Thank You
Tom

For a "smaller" Class A, you will find mostly gas engines.  Diesel engines are often used in motorhomes for increased HP/torque, to move big rigs or provide big towing capacities... neither of which you probably need on a smaller coach.  You ought to at least know, a diesel engine may get slightly better fuel mileage... but the maintenance on a diesel engine is much more expensive, and in many cases diesel fuel is more expensive than unleaded gasoline at the pump.  So your tank-to-tank mileage savings may not really mean much in the end.

The V10 is no more a gas hog than any other large displacement engine moving a bulky, heavy load. Fuel economy is about the same as the GM 8.1L gas V8 and 15-20% less than a diesel in the same size rig. If you were expecting more than 8-10 mpg from a gas engine motorhome, you were dreaming.

There are some really nice diesel motorhomes in the 28 foot range. The 25 foot Winnebago Via & its twin, the Itasca Reyo are slick and might get you 14 mpg. The all new Tiffin Allegro Breeze may be perfect for you - 28 ft and a US built diesel. See
http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/allegroBreeze/

Another somewhat larger model is the Four Winds Serrano. 

a soon to be relative is looking into the tiffin allegro breeze to replace their v10 powered class c which gets up to 10ish mpg but usually in the 8.0 mpg area.  If I recall the breeze is 225hp & around 600ft lb of tq & compared to their 31ft class C  the breeze has a LOT more useable room bu not clue what the mpg would be on the breeze.

Like others stated there are other diesel coaches which get 14ish mph but they loose a few feet up front like a class C with the sloping nose........

I would at least go drive a V10 or V8 powered RV to see what you think about it.  I get 7-7.5 mpg usually pulling a wrangler unlimited on my v8 powered 38ft rv & I do wish I had the torque of a diesel...... I just couldn't afford the extra cost up front but next RV I hope to go diesel...... they definantly do drive better

The V10 a gas hog???? My 1997 32' Jayco class C got 11 miles per gallon consistently. Not a lot of diesels getting 11.

I just did the math using the following numbers: 3000 miles driven, gas $2.95 & diesel $3.12 (ntl avg yesterday), 7mpg gas, 14mpg diesel.  Cost difference = $595.71 At 11mpg for the diesel the diff is $413.38

The deciding factors for me would be:
How many miles will you drive in a year?
What is the addl cost of diesel maintenance?
What is the addl purchase cost for a diesel?
Will your travels include a lot of mountain driving?

A private RVer will never save money by buying a diesel. The upfront cost plus ongoing maintenance expense will exceed the fuel savings every time. Buy it for whatever reasons you want, but cost saving is not one of them.  But if you can afford a diesel in the first place, the performance plus the modest savings at the fuel pump will surely put a smile on your face. A rear engine is blessing as well, if a rear diesel.

Reopening this thread, because I'm looking for almost exactly the same type RV as the poster (28ft, Class A Diesel).  A lot of the posters recommended against diesel for the individual owner, but I had heard from an experienced RV friend that diesels were a better bet - not because of the engine so much as the transmission.  He claimed the automatic transmissions in gas-powered RVs couldn't handle the weight load, and would cause problems, but that diesel transmissions were more sturdy.  I'm sure there's exceptions, but anyone care to comment on that as a generality?  Right now I'm looking at Allegro Breeze or Serrano, but am worried that both are underpowered. 

Thanks much

^^ It all depends on your planned usage, and how much "work" the powertrain has had prior to your ownership.  Any gas RV will likely need engine or tranny work by the time it reaches 75-100k miles, whereas a diesel would go longer than that.  Your friend was probably referring to stats like that.  But if you buy a low mileage RV without plans to put 10,000 miles on it a year, OR buy a used RV that's already had the tranny rebuilt (like I did) then you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom