1992 CHEVY 454 tranny w/ speed sensor issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julievegas

I have a 1992 Southwind(Fleetwood) 37' dually and I LOVE IT but...transmission speed sensor has issues! Fleetwood replaced entire tranny about 6 months after purchase, found this info in records that my late Dad left for me when he died...I digress...I have 25,000 miles of easy road driving...speed sensor replaced once and now showing signs of failure again! I suspect it gets loose...as last time it whacked out I had hit a pretty good unavoidable pothole! Any ideas with this Chevy tranny issue?  I can travel but it sure weighs on the mind while driving as I lose the ability to shift!

First time I've heard of that one, so I doubt if it is a common Chevy chassis issue. I gather you do not have a problem finding replacement sensors and getting a shop to repair it. The concern is that it keep recurring, right? Have you asked a transmission shop to investigate why this happens?

The speed sensor is easy to change, carry an extra one and change it if you have to. Get a Chevy truck manual it will show you how to change it.
J

Lose the ability to shift suggests it's going into 'limp mode'.

The 4L80E trans has a known issue with the wire harness connector leaking from inside the trans into the external harness connector. This effectively shorts the milliamp signals causing the limp mode scenario. Only fix is to drop the trans pan and replace the wiring harness. While at it you may as well replace both shift solenoids and turn up the force actuator 1/2 turn.

Udidwht,
Do you realize you responded to a 9 year old thread?

Back
Top Bottom