best 5th wheel for full time rving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cabinnut

I am looking to buy a used 5th wheel for full time travel and wondering what brands would be recomended that can be pulled by a one ton dulley

I would think details suchs as price range, and maybe some must haves, deal breakers. How muchis your truck capable of towing?
The more details you give the more help you can get in return.

What do you mean by 'best'  Maybe if you are full timing you might want something a little lighter to save on fuel. Or maybe you have a truckload of money and don't care about price at all.

I'd be looking for a 32-37 foot Carriage Cameo, NuWa Hitchhiker, or NuWa Discover America.  I'd want one that had two ac's, and a heat pump, besides a normal propane furnace.  I would also be looking for a rig that had at least 3 slides, one in the bedroom, and 2-3 for the living area.  Just have 2-3 slides in the living area/lower level dramatically improves the spaciousness in the rig.  Getting disc brakes, new/newer tires,  black tank flush, and other options are also a potentially big bonus as well.
Second choice category would be a Jayco Designer or Montana, in the same length range, and options/features.

Rick gave some excellent brand suggestions, but the questions that Phil asked are very important.  "Best" covers a lot of aspects and budget is a key factor in your choice as well. And I could add several brands to Rock's list, but don't know if that will help much or not. Newmar makes an excellent trailer, as does Excel. The Carriage Carri-lite is even better than the Cameo, the bigger and heavier. New Horizons is another excellent brand. Etc etc etc

Bigger and more expensive is an easy choice, if you have a big tow truck and an unlimited budget, but it's not the answer for everybody. Choice of floor plan is the most important overall - if its not right for you, it doesn't matter how good the rest of it is.

We are on our 5th full-timing fifth wheel.  It is a Hitchhiker Champagne and is much more comfortable and better built than our previous RVs.  We pull it with a one-ton dually.

Hitchhiker is made by NuWa in Chanute, Kansas.  They are now selling factory direct and have some refurbished units for sale.  Check out www.nuwa.com.

Jeannine

Have you looked at Bighorn or Montana? Both are nice 5ths with great reputations.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hurry-Overstock-Sale-2010-MONTANA-3455-SA-save-27K-/400116947575?cmd=ViewItem&pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item5d28d41a77

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3185rl-BIGHORN-RV-FIFTH-WHEEL-INCREDIBLE-PRICE-/370374205147?cmd=ViewItem&pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item563c05dedb

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom