Newbie saying hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Birddogman

Just thought I?d say hello.  I joined here recently to access the Winnebago-specific forum and noticed this forum.

I?ve been trying to learn photography for more than 40 years now.  I started the process in the Army when they offered a free photolab and instructor to the grunts when we were temporarily in from humping the bush ? I suppose to keep us out of the bars and whorehouses.  After the Army finally released its prisoner, I worked my way through college, law school and post-doc as a free lance.  Back in those days, of course, everything was manual and just getting a technically good image took some skill.

I jumped on the digital bandwagon as soon as the early cameras came out (no more dank, toxic darkroom!) and never looked back.  My serious equipment is all Canon DSLR ? not that I have anything against Nikon or the other brands, I just happen to have amassed a bunch of expensive Canon glass over the years and switching is not practical.  The vast bulk of my field photography is currently done with a Leica DL4 as I cannot manage bulky, delicate DSLR equipment when afield.  I also have a m4/3 set-up (Panny G1) that I use sometimes, but it seems to be neither fish nor fowl ? not small and light enough to use afield, but also does not have the tremendous imaging capabilities of the Canon DSLR equipment.  I enjoy post-processing and use CS4 to do that.

These days, photography for me is an adjunct to other activities.  My passion is upland bird hunting with my pointing dogs.  The dogs and I get to explore a lot of magnificent wilderness places on foot as we travel around the country in the big MH hunting different species in different places and I enjoy the challenge of trying to create images to share those experiences.  Off season, I try to photograph pretty natural places and animals on my own land and on our travels.

The first pic below is my beloved master, Maggie, age 12, in typical pheasant cover.  She is that special once-in-a-lifetime dog that you read about.

Next, is my puppy, Chase, hunting ruffed grouse along a little mountain lake near my house:

Next, they are shown working as a team on the prairie ? Maggie pointing and Chase honoring her point.

The last one is a pic of an abandoned house miles and miles out on the high plains ? reachable only by hours of walking or by horseback.  Those places are evocative to me ? makes me wonder about the men and women who attempted to carve a life out of that harsh environment; and wonder about what disaster finally caused them to give up and walk away from their home.

Attachments

• 11-8-09 - Maggie sitting at Blue Marsh.jpg
    11-8-09 - Maggie sitting at Blue Marsh.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • 3-1-09 - Chase by the lake.jpg
    3-1-09 - Chase by the lake.jpg
    857.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Dakota - 2009 - 10-6-09 - Double dog point.jpg
    Dakota - 2009 - 10-6-09 - Double dog point.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • Dakota - 2009 - 10-9-09 - Old building on the prairie - 1.jpg
    Dakota - 2009 - 10-9-09 - Old building on the prairie - 1.jpg