Motorhome speed dropped to a creep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crosscountry

I was on 20m mobile today and my speed dropped down to a creep.  I shut down and restarted  the engine and off we went.  It happened a second time and I stopped again with a restart.  I have been running this set up for several years.  when I get a chance I'll check my grounds plus add more ferritte beads.

I run a ISB 5.9 cummins with a 6 spd Allison.  I suspect the rf tripped up my tranny computer.

We're running fine now but it was a shock on a back road between Casper Wy and the Tetons

73, Russ - WB3FQI/7

Russ:

Cummins has what is known as engine protect mode that will shutdown the fuel if any serious conditions that can harm the engine exists including high temperatures, low oil levels or pressure, transmission problems,  etc. There is a means of reading the engine error messages to determine the cause.

I have a Wilson Cell phone amp installed in the back of this "house"  The 12 volt distribution panel is "amid-ships" about 3 feet from my left hand (or less) as I type this.. The switch that controlls the Wilson (Cause we don't always need it) is less than a foot from my left hand as I type and the Kenwood TS-2000, Well, it is less than to more than (depending on where on the radio you measure to) a foot from my right hand.

I added a 12 volt LED to the switch panel for the Wilson so I can see if it's on or off

When I push the mic button on the Kenwood and speak. Several bands.. that LED flashes in step with my voice, EVEN IF THE WILSON IS OFF.

Yes, you got RF back into one of your computers.

I don't do HF in-motion.. Only parked (For one thing the radio is  over the rear axle (Amidships) and the driver's seat is some distance away)

Jeff,  It never shut off, just a crawl to the top of a hill so I would be visible and safer.  Just over the hill were two large towers with yagi's.  If I had needed help I would have gone there.  I'll be more  careful, we are in  the Tetons 17 degrees with 2-3 inches of snow last night and more to come.  Headed to Alaska and don't need any problems.

John , You need longer arms, a driver or put the 2000 on the dash.  I worked I believer it was K5D expedition last Winter mobile on 20m from fla.  it was exciting.

Good to hear from both of you.

73, Russ - WB3FQI/7

PS  the rig is an IC7000 with a HIQ antenna on the back.  I use the Heil boom mic with one ear piece.

One of the four wires of the capitance hat broke at the base of the vertical extension above the screw driver waffer on the HIQ antenna.  I taped it up until I get someplace I can study it. 

I suspect I'll have to order a new cap hat and try to have it delivered on the road before  we get to Alaska.

Russ- WB3FQI/7

Jim,

Thanks for the offer.  We expect to leave here(W. Yellowstone) Thursday AM and make a two day trip to Columbia Falls.  Not sure where I'll stop for the night.  Looks like a 450 mile trip.  When I get to my friends we may be able to salvage the cap hat.  I wonder how it would work if I took one section off?  I have a 102" whip I put on when I'm stationery.

W6HIQ website says he is shutting down for vacation May 12 to June.  He lives 20 miles from my son near CAmp Pendleton.  I can operate sitting still for now and pick up  cap hat when I goto my sons probably in July.  to many options, we are packing up to go look for Bears in the snow.

73, Russ

Russ,

Missoula is a good stop, several campgrounds, we usually use the KOA but there are others further from town.  I don't believe that Jellystone is open yet but there is another across the road from it.  The KOA is handy and in town just across from Costco.  Plus there is a "Cracker Barrel"!!  Closest one to us!

BTW, there is usually good fuel prices at the junction of MT 287 and I-90, Cheaper or the same as Butte Flying J etc.  The Wheat MT deli is just across I-90 from the truck stop on 287 and is fairly good for a quick lunch.  There s a parking area at the top of the pass on I-90 short of Butte.  There is a new rest area at the Anaconda turn off, not on most GPSs yet.

Flying J in Belgrade is EXpensive as it is a franchise.

Have a good trip,

73, Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the info, I had planned to find a flying J to fill up.

I have not done anything with the Hiq antenna, to busy looking at the animals.  I may put my wipe latter and try theRV net on 40m tonight.
I'm looking at taking 200 out of Missoula to 83 up to columbia falls, any problems with that route?

Can we work 2M or 440 between here and Belgrade?

73, Russ

crosscountry said:
Thanks for the info, I had planned to find a flying J to fill up.

I have not done anything with the Hiq antenna, to busy looking at the animals.  I may put my wipe latter and try theRV net on 40m tonight.
I'm looking at taking 200 out of Missoula to 83 up to Columbia falls, any problems with that route?

Can we work 2M or 440 between here and Belgrade?

73, Russ

Russ,

If you want fuel in Belgrade, the Texaco, it may be a Cenex station - CRS, at the NW corner to the intersection of US 191 and MT 85 is a good place and cheaper than FJ even with the FJ discount.

200 is an OK road, typical MT 2 lane one so watch the shoulders,  83 is more of the same.  We use 200 to go to Polson/Kalispell.  The grade as you leave I-90 west of Missoula on 200 is long but no problem.  You have already driven worse to get too YP.  :)

2M picks up some place south of West Yellowstone before you get to Big Sky 146.82- 8.? for tone.  I believe the link to Bozeman is working but it may be intermittent and since the snow pack in melting we do not have access till the mud is hard.  :'( In Bozeman, it comes out on 146.88- t100.  There are a number of repeaters accessible from Bozeman and I believe the repeater handbook is good for almost all if not all of them.  The MT link is active in this part of the state.  In Bozeman 145.25- t100? is active on 2M also.  446.79 and others are active in this area, more so than 2M.  Again the Hanbook is good for most.

We have been gone all winter and then laid up since we got home so am not current on all at this time.  Ham club meets Thursday evening so will get updated then, more or less.  I haven't even got my VHF/UHF rig in the house hooked up.  Will probably do that tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

If you come down 191 be careful as it is a beautiful, scenic, winding road with a lot of idiots driving it, speeding, passing over centerline, etc.  It should be a nice drive but be careful.  We do it frequently  and enjoy it but caution is the word.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I was ready to pull out and we were  told 191 was not allowing trailers through at Big sky.  So we hung out here today, not waht I had in mind.

I believe we are going to use 287.  rumor has it you had lots of wind and then snow.

73, Russ - WB3FQI/7

Russ,

No rumor, we had wind and snow but not as much as predicted.  Belgrade only got a dusting and Bozeman my have gotten about 1" or so.

287 is better road and is still scenic, just not as much as 191.  If you haven't done it before, stop at Quake Lake.  Quite a story and it is awesome.

Have a good trip,

Jim,
We made it to GNP.  Came up 287,90,200,83,35,206

Great Ride.

I took the antenna off with thoughts I would look into  having it welded (stainless steel).  I think I can take the broken portion out and resert the cap hat wire and tighten her down.  I have it all taped up so nothing (screws) backs out going down the highway from vibration.  Hopefully this works, I don't want to shut down to a creep in the wilderness.

We will check all systems tomorrow and either head into Cananda then or tuesday.

Russ - WB3FQI/7

Russ,

Glad to hear you had a great trip.  Sorry to miss you, maybe some place down the road.

Enjoy the trip north.  We are home bound for most of the summer, old age and Drs have caught up with us this year.  Got to be ready to head south next winter!!  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom