Problem with Dicor self leveling lap sealant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ray,
Are you asking for a brand name or a type? It's some brand of self-leveling lap sealant. Every manufacturer has their favorite source, quite likely whatever they can get the best deal on in bulk quantities for the big, power-operated caulking guns they use.  For example, Fleetwood uses Alpha Systems Self Leveling Sealant #1015 (assuming it hasn't changed since I got that info a couple years ago).

Self-leveling lap sealant is a commodity, used in a variety of roofing applications.

Mr. Miller, I would sincerely appreciate knowing which Camping World you purchased the product.  We have representatives that contact and prepare the supervisors at the various Camping Worlds to train their employees.  I would like to have my representatives contact that particular Camping World and perhaps "refresh" some training.

I have offered to authorize a refund for the 3 tubes of lap sealant you purchased.  I have offered to have our representatives perhaps have the opportunity to refresh Camping World on the Dicor products, and I have tried to explain the expectations of the material and the flow properties.  I did this all BEFORE your post advising people to "steer clear of Dicor products".  I felt that was a bit harsh - thus the reason for my response.  Having roofing and components on well over 2 million units,  I  realize that I need to rely on our (Dicor and my) reputation for quality products and customer service. 

Thank you all for the positive and kind words and the opportunity to explain.

Kathy/Dicor

Kathy, first, my apology for starting this thread and harsh reactions. It's out of character for me. But, in my defense, and not the fault of yours or Dicor, I was guided to the Dicor product based upon my desires for a similar product as was used on the RV by the manufacture, expecting similar results. Being new to all this, maybe I didn't explain it correctly or my expectations were too high. In any event, the outcome was not what was expected.

I used Camping World in Ft. Worth, TX. I am not going to return the unused tubes as I may be able to use them for other purposes. As I have posted in a previous response, I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the product and it does what it is designed to do. It's just not what I was expecting. When I get a chance (and some additional funds), I will be looking to use a product called Eternabond tape for the seams and ProFlex brushable sealant for around the rails and non-straight areas.

Don't understand all the ruckus, used Eternabond Tape and Dicor Self-leveling Lap Sealant on my MH today and both products did as advertised.  The Tape was easy to apply, the hardest part being the 'preparation' and 'rolling'.

The Dicor leveled as expected with some ridges which I have attributed to my inability to maintain a steady pressure on the caulk gun.

My fear of having to periodically refresh the seals is gone, need now only to work up the desire/energy.

One lesson learned is to pick a small area per day and do that well, which of course extends the duration of the activity.

Highly recommend both products.

I went ahead and made the same change to the entire topic, and moved it here to General Discussion. This really has nothing to do with the intent of the Service and repair reviews board.

There a few good lessons in this thread.

1- The customer is always right is the wrong way to approach problem resolution.
2- It is best to get more than one opinion on a product you are not familar with.
3- RV forums are effective hammers in dealing when companies that lack customer service. (comment not applied to Dicor)

Well all i have to say is dicor sucks, I bought a toy hauler 2 years ago and right off the bat is was leaking so my buddy who owns a trailer store said try this is s great, well I am not sure if it has changed in the last few years but i took a putty knife and scraped all that i could off took me 3 hours to do then i cleaned the surface and the little bits of dicor that i could not get off with rubbing alcohol,  so then i  laid the dicor down in about 1/4 inch beads it leveled great and looked great, well not even 2 weeks later i got back up cause i had a small leak and every inch of it was cracked, I also called and talked to Cathy and was told that they wont help me out because they were not there when i laid it down and how do they know i did it right, so i did it again since i already had 3 tubes, well guess what it has cracked again and i have water all over inside my trailer, Is there any other sealant that i can use besies this crap, Cathy you also were pretty rude to me when I called so I am sure you have had 1,000's of happy customers but you lost this one for life,

thanks
JR Pruitt

stevenhmiller said:
I will be looking to use a product called Eternabond tape for the seams and ProFlex brushable sealant for around the rails and non-straight areas.
My experience with Eternabond has shown it to be a very good product.  FWIW, in my applications of Eternabond tape I also apply Dicor self-leveling caulk along the edges of the tape to ensure wind doesn't get under it.  Eternabond is very tacky but if it lifts, dust and dirt will adhere to it and it will not stick back down.  So, you can make good use of those tubes of Dicor you have.  Also, FWIW, I have used Dicor self-leveling caulk in several locations on my roof and it has always seemed to level quite well.  So, I cannot explain in my mind the differences in performance reported here.

I'm definitely in the Eternabond camp for updating roof seams!

We updated our 30+ year old Airstream four years ago with new Fantastic fans, new AC unit and a Winegard Travler Sat antenna up top...I used a top-grade sealant made for alum panels... Our rig is exposed to the sun year round, and with the summer's heat on the alum panels, there was some 'checking' of the sealing material I had used, found during an inspection a few months ago - and some drips inside from one of the vents!

I used the alum foil backed Eternabond to reseal all the areas mentioned up top...I leveled a few high spots and thoroughly cleaned the areas involved with acetone as a 'primer' before applying the Eternabond tape...That stuff is VERY Sticky, so if you use it, make sure you lay it in the correct position the FIRST time!

I rolled all the Eternabond as recommended to seal it firmly against the panels...

On an outing last week over on the Northern Calif coast, we were hit with some 35-40 mph winds and driving rain for several days without any leaks - snug as a bug inside... ;)

An inspection showed all sealed areas are just as installed, with no lifted edges, etc...good stuff that Eternabond!  I'm told that Eternabond can also be used to do some field repairs on cracked plastic grey/black tanks or piping - at least enough to get you home in many cases...I keep one of the Eternabond 'repair kits' in my spare parts kit...

I bought some Dicor on ebay and the tubes were not in the best shape but a great price and useable.

I cleaned everything off and used it on my new skylights.  I put quite a bit on and the stuff leveled.  I didn't have enough so came back and did it again.  I also used eternabond for one application.  But I also used my finger to smooth a thick bead a bit.  I thought I  had some pictures but haven't located them yet.  I put a lot thicker bead on then that.

I'm down in my back today or would go up and take some pictures, but that's for another day, also would like to check and see how its looking.

Can you tell me which Dicor product would be good for general sealing around AC's and seams on my motorhome's rubber roof? Would the Haps Free self leveling #505LSW-12 product be good to use?

I just completed a solar panel installation on my Winnie (aluminum roof). I covered the brackets with Dicor Lap Sealant (501LSW) and used it to fix the cables to the roof in several spots. The stuff  worked exactly as expected. The beads/puddles leveled out pretty smooth and adhered to the surface. I did no prep nor did I bother to clean the roof (though in retrospect maybe I should have). The temp outside was no higher then 60F.

Could it be the product purchased was old or somehow defective?

I have used Dicor products and Eternabond for years and have had excellent results with both...I carry some of each in my MH just in case...

Can you tell me which Dicor product would be good for general sealing around AC's and seams on my motorhome's rubber roof? Would the Haps Free self leveling #505LSW-12 product be good to use?

Sure, as long as the area is flat. However, if you want to run some caulk up the side of something, you cannot use the self-leveling variety - it will run right back down within minutes.

I would stay away from the DICOR self leveling sealant, it has cracked in a lot of areas on my RV. I has stripped all the old sealant and applied a fresh coat of DICOR self leveling sealant thinking I wouldn't have to worry about it for a long time. One year after it was all cracked where exposed to direct sunlight. Under my Maxair vents (not exposed to direct sunlight), it was OK. I guess that's why they recommend "maintaining" your roof every year!

I have had much better luck with Nuflex self leveling silicone. After a year, it still looks brand new. Hope this helps someone.

just curious why posts are left up soooooooooooooooo long?

They're part of our knowledge base, allowing others to search for info on questions that were previously answered.

Back
Top Bottom