2 yrs to see USA, any ideas???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul1944

My wife and I are considering selling our home and travel across the US for two years seeing the things we have not yet seen.  We will be new to fulltiming, any suggestions.  We would spend the winters either in Fl., Tx or Az.

Go for it. And don't be surprised if it takes you a lot longer than 2 years to see the USA !

Wendy

By suggestions are you looking for suggestions on types of RV's or on places to see?

There are 58 National Parks in America, 46 of them are located in the lower 48. There are 392 units in the National Park system. These include National Monuments, National Battlefields, National Seashores and many more. The 58 National Parks are the crown jewels of the system. They are some of the very best sight seeing and recreation areas in the country. Try and see as many as you can, especially the ones in the west.

Definitely go for it, but two years will just be a teaser.  Since you won't travel much in the winter, you are only talking about 12-15 months for most of the country and its far too big to see in that amount of time. We've been at it 11 years now and still haven't seen it all. We travel about 7 months a year and have home base in Florida where we spend the winter.

One suggestion, ADOPT me, would be glad to help out around camp.

I would go for it but leave your plans open ended because like others have stated two years aren't near enough. Our Alaska adventure took up one hole summer and our planned NE adventure will take up another summer so if you stay south in the winter like we do that leaves a lot of country not yet visited after two years. We started out with a 5 year plan but now we are just ending year 4 and we are just getting started.

Denny

I have to agree with those who say 2 years is not enough.  In fact, Just one "Attraction" (The Smithsonian) Two LIFETIMES and you'd not see half the exhibits there.  And that is just one small patch of land.

(When I was there they said to read every display card would take something like 300 years, that's non stop, no time outs, no sleeping, no going to the restroom, not lunch breaks, just 300 years of reading cards)

And in Dearborn, Michign is the Edison Institute,  Bettery known as Henry Ford Museam and Greenfield village.. Another lifetime or two of card reading.  Though I have to admit on one exhibit I was able to contribute to the docent's knowledge of the exhibit.. You see.. I knew precisely where it came from (Road the school bus past it every day, it was just a couple miles from where I grew up)

So I gave her directions to the spot it came from.

Do it and cherish every moment.  We (Me, wife and our 4 kids) did it in 2007 and I'd go again tomorrow.  We left Austin, TX in Early March and returned in February of 2008.  Heading west, we enjoyed the spring season in the Southwest.  As we began to work our way north, up California, we probably arrived in places like Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks too early that year, because there was still snow, and some roads and areas of the parks were closed.  This was mid-April into May.  Even arriving at Crater Lake and later in Glacier there were area of the parks that were closed due to snow and this was in late May.  We spent most of December and January in Florida - Orlando, Melbourne and Port St Lucie.  It was beautiful that time of year and the kids loved being able to swim during Christmas.  Two years will allow you to slow your pace, stay in an area that you like or explore more.  Best of luck, it is an incredible country.

paul1944 said:
My wife and I are considering selling our home and travel across the US for two years seeing the things we have not yet seen.  We will be new to fulltiming, any suggestions.  We would spend the winters either in Fl., Tx or Az.
We've been out here 11 years and have only gotten half way through it 33,000 miles later.

I have to agree.  We're coming to the end of our first year full timing and feel like we've done too much "running".  Once you get a taste of what our country has to offer you realize that you need more time!

Good luck to you.

I will support that "2 years is not enough" as well.. Many companies have come to the US hoping to cash in on the market here and found that the United States consists of 50 states.. Many of them LARGER than the nation the company's HQ is in.

In many countries you can walk from border to border in a reasonable time,  In the US, up till the end of last month when she moved. If I wished to visit my Darling daughter.  It was about a 2,000 mile Hike

Now it's only 1,000

Think about this

To see just one attraction.. JUST ONE here in the US (Smithsonian Institute Museum) would take over 300 years, if you never slept, took time out for meals, or ... "Disposal of waste".  And that is actually a very small hunk of real estate.

Closer to me is the Edison Institute (Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village) You could spend a year just there.  One of the exhibits there used to be.. About a mile and a half from where I lived.  Passed it every day going to School. 

John From Detroit said:
I will support that "2 years is not enough" as well.. Many companies have come to the US hoping to cash in on the market here and found that the United States consists of 50 states.. Many of them LARGER than the nation the company's HQ is in.

In many countries you can walk from border to border in a reasonable time,  In the US, up till the end of last month when she moved. If I wished to visit my Darling daughter.  It was about a 2,000 mile Hike

Now it's only 1,000

Think about this

To see just one attraction.. JUST ONE here in the US (Smithsonian Institute Museum) would take over 300 years, if you never slept, took time out for meals, or ... "Disposal of waste".  And that is actually a very small hunk of real estate.

Closer to me is the Edison Institute (Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village) You could spend a year just there.  One of the exhibits there used to be.. About a mile and a half from where I lived.  Passed it every day going to School.

Hey John, why would seeing the Smithsonian take 300 years?  You lost me there somewhere.

If you go there, you will understand. Just walking through and glancing at everything takes days. If you find anything at all of interest, multiple that dramatically. OTOH, many folks go there and tour for a few hours and say they've "been there, done that".  It's a "YMMV" place [Your Mileage May Vary].

I was there last month and do understand the point.  For some reason I was using my "serious" glasses and the humor was lost on me as I was being too literal. Got it now.  Thanks.  My son and I spent three days in the Air and Space Museum alone.  ;)

Back
Top Bottom