Repainting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nevrknow

Need to repaint my 03 Coachmen TT. Aluminum siding. Tried cleaning it but it only takes thet paint right off!. I'm skilled enough to tape it and paint it. Not looking for a showroom finish, but don't know what TYPE/KIND of paint I should use. Can't see spending the $$ at this time to have it professionally done. Any hints? tricks?

Did search but it didn't really answer the questions I have.

Thanks in advance. JOHN

Hi John and welcome to the RV Forum.

As in any paint job, the effort and quality are in the prep work. Fix whatever dings you are willing to repair, prime any bare spots, sand it down with 220 grit wet type sand paper and spray with any automotive type paint. Or do you intend to brush it? If so, you want something intended for metals that will "flow" a bit so it doesn't leave brush marks. And something that is at least semi gloss, if not high gloss. Rustoleum has some pretty good stuff for that type of application.

Thanks for the welcome. I thought about the automotive paint, but having never done this before it sure helps to ask someone a lot more knowledgeable about this.

Gary gave you some real good advice.  NAPA makes a paint and clear you mix together.  It sprays real easy and looks good.  It is not as good as a base coat/clear coat but much easier to apply.  Also ask about an aluminum primer.  Painting over bare aluminum is tricky but the right primer makes it much easier.

Back
Top Bottom