Winnebago

• Thread starter PatrioticStabilist
  • Start date
The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom says it isn't the oil breaking down.  He feels there are minor pieces of metal that wear off and then are in the oil and can scar stuff.  I don't know but he is still into the 3000 miles deal.  I let it got 500 more at times, but then we have only had one vehicle use oil and it was high mileage when I bought it.  We used to buy used vehicles, only had a couple new in our lives until the last 10 years.  Of course, he had a company vehicle for at least 20 so those don't count.

You did not mention whether your Sightseer has the Ford chassis (V10 engine) or workhorse chassis (8.1L V8), but follow the oil change instructions in the chassis owner manual. It will be conservative, so you need not worry about doing what it says. Ditto for the transmission fluid and rear axle.

I have a 2007 Winnebago 29R. with the Ford V-10 and love it. We bought it about 2 years ago. You are going to love it! Congratulation's!!!!

Ok, not going with the extended warranty, talked to some people in the know and they said they wouldn't.  Not only here but they said the same thing, good luck on getting it paid for.

I called Winnebago and checked to see what kind of warranty work was done, he said very little.

Called Ford the chassis manufacture section and she has 0 warranty work showing as performed. 

I think I feel pretty good about this. 

Carfax shows nothing but routine items also.

Looks like Wednesday for closing or so it sounds now.

I'm excited, buying tomorrow. They replaced an inverter or converter board not sure which at PPL.

But I'm getting fluids changed, new belts and hoses, about $600, ouch!, AC cleaned, serviced, and a new gasket, at least 2 new front tires.  Will see what the damage is, if I can afford it will get all new tires or will get the other 4 next month. He said regular heavy duty truck tires are as serviceable as any, I said please price Michelins also, I put them on everything.

I am taking it to Felton's RV Service, he inspected this one, and did one I almost bought, he seems very honest.  I need someone to service so I'm hoping he is the one.  It's on the north side of Houston so easier for me to get to also.

My husband wants to change to a synthetic oil, we use Mobil 1 in everything else.  The mechanic said its not got to many miles on it yet to do so. 

Sue Anne is so excited she wants to load up and go.  Maybe the end of next week, we have a lot going on the next few days.

Daughter is sooooo excited, she wants to go now, right this minute, not gonna happen. ::)

Got it today, dropped it off to have all the rountine "deferred" maintenance done.  I'm sure little has been done to it.

Oil changed, switching to synthetic Mobile 1, tranny flushed, new filters, fuel, etc.  Cleaning AC, new gasket, pricing new tires, if to much 2 in the front now and in a month the other 4.  Getting wheel bearings packed. Everything greased, oiled, or whatever. Generator oil changed.  Maybe new belts and hoses, I told him give me an estimate and then we will see if I have it all  done or not.

Everything runs good and is a dream to drive.  I can SEE!  That is the biggest problem for me in the C.  Trying to see out the passenger side window when turning, your blind.  Also the back up camera is awesome.  We kept hearing this noise like static, I thought Oh great we have one with a lot of noise.  Forgot he had shown me the backup camera had a volume control so that you can hear somebody directing you outside.

I was mistaken, the levelers are manual, but that's ok.  Just watch the bubble!  Also an outdoor stereo and speakers, not sure when I will use that, but at least its there. Outside shower, same thing.

But its a 2005 and it still smells new inside. I forgot to take pictures.

You should know by now that will not be a problem.  I LOVE to take pictures! ;D

I won't take any, but you should see my garden, I've already picked a water bucket and a half of green beans, its going to interfere greatly with us going anywhere.  I can see that now! So I may have to scale back on my gardening or something.

I forgot to get the manuals out, so went down to get them today, oh my gosh, a briefcase, literally.  Want to go through them.  I was surprised. They already had the front wheels off, were working on packing the bearings, had the gennie door open, I'm sure for oil change, plastic inside didn't notice in there but assuming the AC work was being started or just not wanting to get it dirty.  Glad to see its moving along.  They had at least 8 in a fairly small area at least to me, how they get them in there would be a trick I would think.

So pleasantly surprised service had started already.  I am hoping he will be a good honest mechanic, I need someone I can rely on when Tom is gone.

I noted he is also an authorized repair facility for Onan and a bunch of other generators so that is good to know also.

I hope we get the motorhome back this week.  I think I will take Sue Anne and go to Lake Livingston to fish for a few days.  My garden is getting to the demanding stage and leaving for a week or two isn't going to happen until I can all the beans, tomatoes, and juice I want.  Now I am going to have conflicts, garden or Rving, not sure which will win on that one.

Tom asked if I had the other up for sale yet, I said no, don't want to have to move all that stuff in it twice.  I hate to sell it.  We worked on it and I feel I know every inch of it like an old friend, but we can't afford to keep 2.  He was saying we ought to switch out the batteries as those are brand new.  I doubt I will but I imagine the newer one will need batteries soon so a shame to let those go.  Oh well.

So hopefully by the end of the week we will have it up for sale.  Now to decide what price to ask, I have an idea.

I'm thinking of ordering all my hoses and belts and just putting them in the storage on the motorhome and Tom can put them on next time home or if needed.  But if I end up in Podunk with something busted maybe I can at least get someone to fix it. Not sure if I need to do that, what do some of you think?

If one did rupture could you use ducttape or some type of tape to get you a bit further down the road or not possible.  Everything has been redone except those

I checked with Strouhals and I'm getting 4 new Michelins for the back IF they can get a current date.  He said the supplier won't sort through but he felt like we should get a very recent date as they sell a lot of them. I'm debating on new shocks, Tom ran out of time. My neighbor behind me wants my old ones for his motorhome, he said he doesn't drive all that far, to the livestock rodeo and stuff so will serve him fine.  If I were a guy I wouldn't worry about them either but I couldn't change one of those things, well maybe but I kind of doubt it. He has been all over the motorhome and feels it is a good one, I hope so.  He said he found no rust anywhere, everything underneath looked like new. I think I will be fine without new ones but he wanted to put them on, he said since he had done everything else might as well.

My awnings for the slides are just being shipped so they won't get put on and PPL hasn't sent me the form to order a new front awning.  Mine are kind of rough but I guess I will have to live with them till he gets home and we can put the new ones on.

Oh we didn't get the slides lubricated either, what do you use on the rails, gears or whatever under there?

We are so excited and wanting to go.  I hope we survive the possible flooding from this hurricane, hope it does turn.

I have to take Sue Anne to Elgin, Texas down by Austin next Sunday she is going to camp at Down Home Ranch for a week. It's a very nice place for the mentally challenged.  They have about 20 full time residential.  They have 350 acres, horses, a fishing pond, swimming pool.  The young people got to shoot paintball guns at targets, tried their hand at archery, do karaoke, dance, have science class.  It's a very full week and its a great place. 

^^ Sounds like a great place!  We have a special needs child too and I hope someday we'll be able to afford to send him someplace really nice like that for a getaway.

As far as belts/hoses, it can't hurt to have them on standby.  It's not very common for belts & hoses to completely fail though, especially if they're only 5 years old.  You should have more than enough time to get those things taken care of.  If you have a gas engine then they are easy-to-find parts too, in case you did have a roadside breakdown they would probably be available just about anywhere.

How old is your special needs child?  Soon as they reach age 18 apply for everything they are entitled too.  Your income will not apply to them when they reach that age.  We had to get it as neither of us had health insurance for her so she has had medicaid since then.  I would prefer private but you can't buy insurance for her anywhere.  Keep that in mind.

What is his/her disability if you don't mind.  Sue Anne has Williams Syndrone, she is considered mildly mentally challenged.

There are quite a few camps run by various organizations when they are under age 18 and quite a few are free.  It's when they get older that the selection thins out.  Just for information, this camp is $525 for the week, they raised it $25 this year.  Our daughter is 39, she and I have many good times together.  We tried a group home for about 9 months, didn't work out for her or me.  But it improved her attitude immensely so she has been a pleasure (most of the time) since she has been back home.  Before that she had gotten really hard to handle.  But all is well and continues to be so.  But we stay on the group home list in case I get ill, and lets face it someday I will age out and can't do it anymore. But we want her to experience all the joys of life she can and she loves to travel, so we have a great time together. 

Our oldest son (just turned 9 last month) has Autism.  We are a part of a great local network of other autism families where we live, and there are some camp options but nothing quite like what you mentioned.  Actually our RV adventuring was inspired by his disability, as we wanted to find a way to travel where he would be more at ease.  He doesn't respond well to any unexpected changes, i.e. hotels or strange houses when we traveled never went over very well.  As we all know, the RV is a home away from home that's much more familiar and comfortable to everyone.

I have bought and sold motor homes at PPL with excellent results each time.  I wish you well with your new (to you) unit and I'm sure you'll have a great time at Lake Livingston, it's a really nice place to camp. 

Scotty, this camp is called Down Home Ranch, you can find information about it on the internet. They accept campers from age 13 up.  They have separate camp times for the younger ones.

They explain the criteria on the website.  They list the acceptable and unacceptable behaviors.  I know Sue Anne had been places before that had young people that made everyone else miserable.  She said last year 2 campers were not sent home but would not be allowed to come back again so I know they enforce things like that. 

So that is a place for future reference.  This will be her second year, its very nice and we hope she gets to go many more summers.

If you ever have any further questions you can email me at [email protected].  I won't write more here as this is RV specific and I tend to drift off topic and get reminded not to do so on occasion.  :-[

Back
Top Bottom