Reading, PA to Yellowstone NP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Leaving in the AM!  After leaving our home in FL on Apr 6th and spending 3 weeks at daughters house in VA, then a day up here for minifamily reunion, we are finally heading west.  Long drives as we want to be in Ogden on Fri and Ystone next Sunday.  Staying at a few Passport Parks along the way, plus possibly a friends yard the first night. 

Route is Rt 76 from here to 70, then around Kansas City jump to Rt 80, then up 15 and 20. 

Any thoughts, suggestions etc are welcomed. 

Drive safely and enjoy the trip as much as you can with that speed.  :) 

The WX is terrible, cold, wind, snow, etc. here in the Bozeman area.  I haven't checked on YP as I am still on a short string and not planning on going there till it warms up a lot more!

Will try to make connections if and when there are mini-rallies in or near YP.

Yellowstone is the same as Bozeman with weather.  We had 22 degrees last night in West yellowstone and it is snowing now.  woke up to snow covered ground, hvy wind advisor for tonight.  Hooked up at Hide a way rv park, W. Yellowstone, 50a fhu, cable, wifi only a few blocks from rt 20 and the entrance to the park.

We left York Pa area 2 wks ago come Wednesday.  Ran the Pa turnpk to RT 70, went around Indianoplis to RT 74 upto Davenport I 80, took I 80 to Ogalla(actuallly just past Ogalla to a passport, then over to Sidney and up 385 to 26) Rt 26 to 25 to Casper, over the pass to Tetons for 3 days then 26 to 20 to West Yellowstone, nice ride 248 miles.  Heavy winds in Ne.  You can stay over night at the Kearney 272 exit, eihter Cableos or Archway monument (it may be  exit 172, but forsure Kearney).  The roads in Yellowstone are not all open yet.  I hear different dates for opening, May 14 or 27th.  We saw old faithfull yesterday, 1 wolf, lots of Buffalo, 100's of elk.

Have a safe trip.  If you have any questions I'll check back to see your progress.

Russ/Betsy WB3FQI/7  WB3FQH/7

We took RT 26 to see Scotts bluff, chimney rock, register rocks (ample room to park/turn, may even be able to stay) pioneers craved their names in the rock, and the wagon ruts (nice parking area and turn around) just down the road were a sight to see.  The east and South gates to the Yellowstone are closed.  I met a couple on their way to the park to host and they were allowed to call NP to have the South gate opened for them.  Apparently there  is a great deal of consstruction on the roads in the park, we have not been in that area yet.  Road INfo  Tetons  307-739-2117,  Yellowstone park 307-344-2117, Wyoming roads 511 or 888-996-7623,  Idaho roads 511 or  888-432-7623
Montana roads 511 or 800-226-7623.

Sidney cabelos has a nice camp ground, fhu, walmart, good eaters.

Russ/Betsy

Not exactly on topic but this a great site to check out.

http://www.rvcruzer.com/ystonervroutes.php

Evening!  Tonight in Ohio at Barkcamp SP.  Elec only site, Passport.  Had to change sites to find sky for dish.  I need a better compass in my head to figure it out while looking at the site.  Still new at this sat thing.

OK, across PA from Reading, avoided the toll road, took 30 west, had been on 30 from 83 east and a great road.  The mountains are in the way going west, so 30 goes right over.  Yikes!  We caught the toll road from Breezewood west, whew!  Still some grades, but way easier.  7 and 8% grades up and down on 2 lanes with twisties are a lot of fun on a motorcycle, but down to 20mph and seeing more in front is a bit intimidating. 

Tomorrow, Illinois, Timber Trails, in Mulberry Grove.  Another Passport Park. 

We will be heading forst to Ogden, then up Rt 15 to West Yellowstone.  In that entrance to Old Faithful.

Bring heat.  Last nigh it was 8, tonight I believe they claim 9.  We had lots of wind, rain and 1" snow over night here in west yellowstone.

Saw a wolf eating an Elk and 3 grizzlies last night near Mammoth in the Park.

Seems to me I saw a passport 8 miles from here but I can't recall if it is open as yet

the roads are clear.  Lots of roads and stuff still closed in the park.

Hide a way rv park  50a fhu, wifi, cable with Escapee discount plus 7% tax 31.99.  seems to me they take AAA, AaRp, senior cit.
Enjoy your journey between there and West Yellowstone.

Russ/Betsy

WB3FQI/7  WB3FQH/7

PancakeBill said:
Tomorrow, Illinois, Timber Trails, in Mulberry Grove.  Another Passport Park.

Bill,

Are you at Timber Trails tonight, Tuesday 5/4? We arrive at Timber Trails at 4:30 pm today. We are in site #1. I have forgotten what motor home you have.

Richard
One the way to central Indiana for a few weeks.

Edit: I see that you have a Southwind. I didn't see one when we arrived. R
Edit 2: Phone: 520-360-1961

We got in late.  Not sure site number, will find you in the AM.

We got the last available site.  Next to a Vectra, do I remember you have an Itasca?  There is one to our left by a couple.  We are facing the cornfield. 

Dogs? 

We will be heading out fairly early, you heading east?

PancakeBill said:
We got in late.  Not sure site number, will find you in the AM.

We got the last available site.  Next to a Vectra, do I remember you have an Itasca?  There is one to our left by a couple.  We are facing the cornfield. 

Dogs? 

We will be heading out fairly early, you heading east?

Bill,

We are in the first site (east end facing the unplanted field. What time do you plan to leave in the morning? Since we are on our last leg to Linda's home town, we do not plan to leave until around 9:00 in the morning.

We have no dogs, but have been watching some couple walking theirs. I remember a Vectra coming in. I beleive they are on the extreme west end of the row facing the field.

Richard

MiniRally!  OK, The Sharps and us ended up with 2 sites between us.  Found each other in the morning and had a nice chat.  We got on the road west, they went east. 

Long drive today, 500+++, we are overnighting at the Double Nickle CG, easy earshot of I80.  Oh well, after 500 miles I am sure I will slleep just fine.

Did you guys hit any of that wind over the last couple days? I was on I-80 tues and bumped up to I-90 today and hit absolutely horrible winds both days. Currently in Gillette for a few days for a dog show and it's snowing. Safe travels and fun in the mini caravan  :)

Not much so far, but today is windier, we are in Nebraska, near Kearny at a rest stop right now.  Temps definitely lower with the jump from I70 t I80! 

According to my weather bug, it is 16 deg in Ystone.  Brrrr.

PancakeBill said:
MiniRally!  OK, The Sharps and us ended up with 2 sites between us.  Found each other in the morning and had a nice chat.  We got on the road west, they went east.

Bill,

Yes, the minirally was a surprise. We enjoyed talking with your for a few minutes before we each headed out. It's too bad that we did not discover each other earlier the night before, we could have had a longer visit. We have chatted "around the camp fire" a few times but this was the first time that we had a chance for real one-on-one talk. We hope the remainder of your journey is uneventful. We arrive at Frankfort, IN (Linda's hometown) in early afternoon and will be here for 3-4 weeks. Then it's on to see our grandbabies.

Richard

You must be WAY below the front. The wind is absolutely horrible in Gillette, WY. I'm here until Sat, thank goodness. I don't think I could handle another day driving in this. There's a winter warning about no unessessary driving on I-90 and it's snowing like crazy. I pulled the slideout in because the wind was thrashing my new slideout cover so bad, I thought it might rip off  :-[

Sat is the push for Colter Bay, Grand Teton for the summer. Any recommendations on keeping my H2O hose from freezing? Since you've been there before in the cold, I was wondering if wrapping it was needed or if it will be fine until it warms a bit.

Safe travels to YNP!

Chris,

The best approach is to fill the tank and store the hose till you need to fill again.  Same with dump hose although if you just close the valves you can leave that hose in place.  You may find the dump hose will be a cold path into your water bay and allow freezing there -not good!!  I store mine till needed.  One of the problems of lving in MT!    ;D

We are in the wind now, Just south of Cheyenne, off I25. 

Tank fill is one way, but another is to leave a faucet running just a dribble.  When in Ystone I left my hose out with foam on it, and the drain hose connected with the grey open.  Never had an issue except the night I forgot to leave the faucet on.  Off season this year I added a bay heater, controlled from the dash.  Will put that on tonight. 

Also used a 40 watt light bulb in the utility bay. 

Bill,

I hope you did not follow my advice for getting around St. Louis. I woke up this morning and for some reason thought about the route I had given you as you were leaving Timber Trails CG. In a typical senior moment, I thought of the route we had taken the day before BUT that involved coming from the SW on I-44. You had said you were staying on I-70 all the way. I am sorry for the confusion and hope you consulted your GPS before hitting St. Louis and found that the easiest way to get around the city is to take I-270 across upper St. Louis and eventually come back onto I-70.

I'll bet you thought I was smoking something that early in the morning to give you such weird directions.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom