gen-turi generator exhaust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadtrek

I have a Roadtrek RS Adventurer with Onan micro-lite propane powered gen set. Does anyone out there have or use a gen-turi exhaust kit with same generator that can give me some feedback and or special adaptors for this product? 

Well.. The Theory of a propane engine is that it can be used in an enclosed space.. Frankly.. I've been around them and I'd not wish to sleep on top of one..

That said... So long as it has a straight pipe exhaust the only thing you need adapter wise is diamater modification.. And those adapters come with the Gen-Turi  UNLESS, that is the pipe is too big, then you might wish to "home brew" an adapter... (in my case the Gen-turi pipe is larger than the gasoline generator exhaust)

Along the same idea ... does anyone have any suggestions as to how to "quiet" the 2500 Onan micro-lite propane powered generator. I find that mine is very noisy. It sits on the undercarriage directly behind the dual wheels on the right side of the Winnebago ERA. It is so loud in fact that I find that I get a headache with it running. No the headache is not from any fumes.

It is OK if I am driving or near the front of the vehicle while it is running. But if I am sitting or lying on the sofa/bed, which sits almost directly over the generator, that's when the problem starts. I am dreading having to use the generator during the summer for A/C on the occasions when I don't have shore power.

Thanks

Karsty

A Gen-turi redirects much of the exhaust noise upwards along with the exhaust fumes. That helps quiet down some of the generator noise, leaving mostly just the mechanical engine noises to contend with. You may be able to cut some of the mechanical noise down by lining the generator bay with one of the sound absorbing materials sold for under the hood use.

I run with a Gen-Turi when I  use the generator... I can't say as it makes it much quieter, however it does change the nature of the sound (More bass, less treble) as one would expect of a 10 foot pipe.

That said. I highly recommend them for other reasons.

Some folks are anti-Gen-turi, claiming that it puts the exhaust up on the roof where the air conditioner can suck it in.

Well, I don't have a reversable fantastic fan so I don't know if a FF on "intake" will do it.  But I have done a couple of 25 hour runs and not once has the CO alarm gone off.

The original CO alarm was sensitive enough to go off in 2 hours without the Gen-Turi.

I have had the generator next door set it off too.. As some here can attest (It was at a forum rally)

There is no problem with exhaust sent to the roof. An RV roof a/c does not "suck in" any outside air - it is completely closed system. The outside air just cools the heat exchanger; inside air is 100% recirculated.

Glad to read you saying that Gary.

You'd be amazed at how many people will argue with me on just that point.

You are, of course, right.

not only that but though exhaust gas is, in fact, denser than air AT THE SAME TEMPERTURE, it comes out the Gen-tuir around 30 degrees (minimum) warmer than surrounding air, thus it is "lighter than air" and continues to rise, making it even harder for the nay-sayers to be right.

But they even argue with my statement that I PERSONALLY had a CO alarm go off within 2 hours without the Genturi and have NEVER had it go off WITH the gen-turi even after a run of over 24 hours.

In this case, I personally did the test.. Not just research but the test.  And they still argue.

Oh, I've also taken apart my air conditioners, It can be argued they are not air tight, but they are dang close to it and it would take some serious effort to get enough CO past 'em to be an issue.

I've seen many of the Gen-Turi setup's being used, both with MH's and 5Vers.  One thing that I read recently, was that the generator companies have a problem with them and actually void warranty if they were in use.  I for the life of me can't figure out why they would do this, from what I have seen, they simply vent the exhaust, not change engine back pressure.  In camping areas where they pack the units in on top of each other, they are literally life savers, great product from what I've seen.

If you want to check for back pressure at the inlet to the G-T, take a strip of tissue paper about an inch wide and 4 to 6" king and hold it at the inlet to the G-T.  If the G-T is set up right the draft will pull the tissure up the stack.  There should be only the back pressure introduce by the elbow and should be almost none.

Why would the generator company void warranty.....

I have read a lot of yammer about back pressure.  And I can imagine installations where it might actually be important (IE: Generator mounted amid-ships as mine is and exhausted out the back, that's a lot of pipe already)  it is true that a elbow adds way more pressure than the same amount of straight pipe.

Plus in a heavy rain if geenrator not running,,, Well the pipe is open to the top (Tough I doube much gets in the metal pipe, more likely to run down the inside of the black pipe and drip onto the ground)

The big thing is torquing the exhaust pipe and breaking the manifold I'd suspect.

This would indicate both an improper mount of the Gen-turi and of the exhaust pipe in my opinion, but I'd guess that is their big worry.

Proper mounting, no problems.

I do stress I'm guessing why the generator companies warn about them.

Might also be a CYA thing Two ways "Any modifications may void....." is one.

The other is the occasional stories I read with like (NOTE: this version of the story is made up but there are legit stories like it)  DEATH ON THE INFIELD.

Indy, date,, A group of campers in the infield campground at the Indy raceway were found dead this morning,  Premlimuary reports say they were killed by exhaust from their generator which they kept on all night to run their air conditioner and aux beer cooler........

"Well, the reason we don't build them with a "Through the roof" exhaust system is the danger of damage to the generator" said a spokesman for RV's R Us.

As I said, thius is a made up story, and the last line I've never seen.. But .. Well, passing the buck is an American Passtime don't you know.

Back
Top Bottom