Don't shoot a newbie!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctj101502

Okay, please be patient with me!! We know NOTHING about campers or what to look for.  I did look throught he library on here and pages of past stuff.  I kinda want an expert to hold my hand! :-[

We stopped at a garage sale and noticed a Jayco 1206 (1995 yr) for sale.  We like it though it needs to be cleaned up and does not come with fire extinguisher, spare tire looks fairly smooth and really didn't take strong notes on much except that we were interested in it due to price being in our range and the size of it.  We are just thinking about it since he has a friend that is supposed to buy it, but has baled 3 times.  We told him we would call at end of month

It has the shower/potti thing- though has never been used per his words.  He said previous owner never used it either and has no clue what to do to make sure it works. 

He added an extra a/c unit below one of the beds?  close to the outside propane tank near the front.

there is a fridge K and Q beds and it looked like 1 stove burner?  Like I said we just kinda glanced..

I saw that I need to check walls and corners for leakage, along with screens for tears and fridge for cooling.  What else should we test or check?  We have never towed, though as own a 4X4 Ford Ranger (2007) so I would assume it would do fine (we have 4 children so I would drive the ODyessy since we are worried about tranny on it trying to install a hitch and towing with it)

The owner wants $1500 for it, which seems reasonable according to blue book...and craigslist.  we are scared to put ANY $$ into something that could be VERY bad for us with being a young family and  not a whole lot to spare.. We don't even know how to really tow or to hook brakes up or to pop open the thing or how to fill with water for sink ect... I know, we are sad cause we have no clue about ANYTHING!! I appreciate ANY help!

Sincerely,
Rachel

That Ranger should be fine, IF it has the 4.0 V6 and an automatic transmission.  Otherwise it will be very iffy.

First thing to do is to have the owner open up the trailer in your presence and demontrate the use of all the goodies including stove, plumbing, fridge and A?Try the beds on for size and secure support.  Check the canvas for condition.

If some of the things haven't been used in 15 years, make sure they work before you buy.  Rubber, for example, deteriorates so water hoses might be ready to spring a leak once put under pressure.

Definitely make sure everything works.

ArdraF

I might add, check the date on the trailer tires -- our library has a article on how to find and read the date codes.  A tire over 7 years of age is unsafe and should be immediately replaced regardless of tread condition.

yes the Ranger is a autom, thanks for all the input.  Glad to hear about the tire exp. date.  Something else we are now adding to check list!  We will know at end of month if we are going to buy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom