Frame Cracked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abnfist

Hello- hopefully someone can help me with this. I have a Jayco Jay Feather that the frame/ weld has cracked where the frame connects to the hitch coupler. I am not sure how this happened, as I am quite careful and take good care of my TT.
My questions are- Has anyone seen this before? and is this a sign I should get rid of it?
It is only 11 months old (bought new)- so it should be covered by Jayco- but still waiting for them to call me back.

Thanks for any info you can give,
Larry

Attachments

• DSCN1191a.jpg
    DSCN1191a.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN1192a.jpg
    DSCN1192a.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 131
Immediately send Jayco a letter with these pictures and make a claim for warranty repair.  Send it certified - return reciept requested.  That puts Jayco on legal notice.

Do not wait! 

Looks like something caught the bottom of the frame and torqued the frame away from the hitch coupler.  Observe the lower part of the frame where they made the cutout, it is bent backwards. 

Also, the break appears to be behind the weld where the metal was probably weakened by the weld.

Were I having it repaired I would have it welded with an additional piece of steel from the frame to the hitch coupler and then remove the tabs on both sides where they slotted the frame to fit the coupler.

I would be all over Jayco.  That is a straight frame coupler on an A-frame.  You can see where the weld goes across the stamped letters on top.  On Atwood's web site they show how to weld the couplers on and this does not meet any of there recommendations.  All of their instructions show and state that the frame must be inserted into the coupler.  This is the link to Atwood's literature on their couplers.  http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/chassis/MPD%2087984%20SP%201.22.08.pdf.  I hope posting links does not violate any copyright laws.  If it does please remove it. 
I hate it when a manufacturer goes against a vendors recommended practice.  It opens the manufacturer up to all sorts of liability.  Been there done that.  We would always welcome vendors in to show us how they wanted their products installed and we had them sign off on our procedures and documentation.

It appears to me that something at sometime impacted that hitch. I doubt that would be covered under warranty.

i can see that the welder was probably a little to "hot" and the metal cracked on the side of the weld......the second thing that see is that the stress to do this damage probably came from a jack knife.........or sideways stress.......just my thoughts???

Warranty coverage would be the first thing you'd want to go after. Though...that doesn't look like a defect to me unless the steel was of a very poor quality. I noticed that bent ear below the hitch too. Looks like the hitch struck something. It's repairable. If I was doing it, I'd get the hitch cut off and an entirely new one welded on by a competent metal fab shop, but go the warranty route first.

Thanks for all the advice- I am working the warranty route first, problem is right now getting to a dealer- as I don't think I can tow it.

To fill in some "questions"- The tab that is bent out was that way when it came from the dealer new. It has not had any impacts on the hitch while in my possession. It is a 19 ft Jay Feather 197, as it only weighs 3200lbs, I highly doubt weight is an issue. It has never been "Jack knifed", and if it was there would be other damage as I always use load level/ stabilizer bars.

It has however been over several mountain passes (crossed CO on 70, taken it to Yellowstone, and where I live I have to cross two 4500 passes to get to the highway) and been towed about 6500/7000 miles. Not sure if that would have an effect.

Send the pictures to Jayco and tell them you don't think it is safe to pull to a dealer.  If Jayco does step up and take care of it I would get a good welder to come over to the TT and do the repairs there by welding the crack then reinforcing with another plate of steel and have him do both sides while he is at it.  Those bent tabs at the bottom will probably be the excuse Jayco will use to back out of any obligations.

I see this as a multi faceted problem.  First I see it as the frame material is too light.  Second I see it as improper welding, Third I see it as bad material to begin with.  Being what it is now, I would insist that Jayco/Lippert do a full inspection of the frame for further cracks.  If any are found then it is time to insist on a new frame or a new trailer.

Abnfist, any updates on this?

I'm curious how this will be resolved.

johncmr

Sorry for not updating sooner-

Jayco wants to send someone to me to repair the crack (welder/ fabricator) trying to work through all the paperwork and payment involved.

Someone smarter than me looked at the pictures and believes that the trailer was hit by a "mule" (a forklift with a ball mount on it that they move the trailers around with) based on the fact that the hit/ damage went from one side to the other.  But that is just what/ how it was explained to me.

Bottom line is- they are willing to pay, now it is just a waiting game for paperwork.

thanks for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom