Anyone using CS5 yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Birddogman

I just upgraded from CS4 to CS5, but haven?t yet installed it on my machines or tried it.  I am anxious to try some of the new features, like context-aware fill.

Just curious if anyone else is using it?  If so, what do ya think?

BTW, did I say something wrong or violate some guideline in my intro post below?  Lots of views, but not one answer or welcome?

I stopped using Photoshop when Lightroom was released a few years ago. Lightroom doesn't do everything Photoshop does but it does everything I need.

I have not installed it yet either.  I am always looking forward to some of the new features.  Maybe I will install this weekend at the campground and experiment a little with it.

Oh, and welcome!!

I have it installed, and although I haven't used it much, it works superbly to remove unwanted things from photographs, such as wires, signs, poles, etc.

I've found the context aware editing is great as some things, but useless for others.  A useful tool, but it does not replace skillful use of the rubber stamp tool.  I haven't used it long enough to give an opinion on the rest of it.

I've been using it for a few months now.  I like it - does all the stuff the odler version did and more.

Excuse my ignorance (or maybe CRS), but what is CS5? I know what Photoshop and Lightroom are. I occasionally use PS, but LR totally lost me.

The full title is Adobe Photoshop Creative Suite 5.

Tom said:
Excuse my ignorance (or maybe CRS), but what is CS5? I know what Photoshop and Lightroom are. I occasionally use PS, but LR totally lost me.

Don't feel bad, Tom, Lightroom totally loses everyone in the beginning. I watched a whole series of videos on how to use Lightroom the first time I downloaded it. Probably three hours worth of instructions. It seems alike a lot of hassle to use one program and it is, but for someone like me who takes a zillion photographs it is totally worth the effort. But three hours is nothing, I had to take a six week college class to learn Photoshop. And that is after I had been using image editing software for over ten years. If I ever get a chance to demonstrate Lightroom to you in person you might never go back to Photoshop.

Lightroom is a logical program to use, however it is Adobe's logic, which is not the same as everyone else's logic.

My buddy Ed switched from CS4 to Lightroom and has tried to convince me to do the same.  I have already climbed the major portion of the CS learning curve and don't care to do it again with Lightroom.  I upgraded to CS5, but have pretty much just done the regular old CS4 stuff, so far.  It is what I know.

Interestingly, Photo Shop can be compared to Microsoft's Excel.  There is so much that it can do that I doubt that anyone knows the entire application. 

geodrake said:
My buddy Ed switched from CS4 to Lightroom and has tried to convince me to do the same.  I have already climbed the major portion of the CS learning curve and don't care to do it again with Lightroom.  I upgraded to CS5, but have pretty much just done the regular old CS4 stuff, so far.  It is what I know.

Interestingly, Photo Shop can be compared to Microsoft's Excel.  There is so much that it can do that I doubt that anyone knows the entire application.

Don't forget, Lightroom costs less than half of what Photoshop costs and you will be upgrading in the future so it actually pays you to learn Lightroom.

And don't think you will buy one version of Photoshop and it will last you the rest of your life. My CS2 won't even begin to install on Windows 7. If I want to use Photoshop I would now have to buy CS5.

Lightroom is way easier to use than Photoshop. Once you learn how to use both you will understand. Photoshop is about 10 years older than the dawn of digital cameras. Photoshop was designed for graphics creation and alteration. The ability to work on digital photographs has been slowly cobbled on to Photoshop for the last 15 years. Lightroom was built from the ground up only for working with digital photographs. I have used just about every image editor on the market and Lightroom is far superior to any other image editing program I have ever tried.

>I doubt that anyone knows the entire application.

Don't bet on it. I don't but there are plenty of professional who do.

Thanks for the clarifications. I'm still using an old version of PSE, which seems to do everything I want.

One of the clubs for which I'm the web guy has a large photo gallery. Folks upload photos from all the monthly and other events we hold. Some folks upload every photo they took without any editing or even selection. At the other extreme, one of our members refuses to upload a single photo until she's picked the "good" ones and edited them all in PS. I'm not sure I'd have the patience, but this lady's photos are all pretty good.

I am using CS-5 and love it.  Content Fill works wonders on many things, but not all.  That feature alone was worth the price as I do a lot of Museum Wrap Canvas Images and it makes it easy to extend the canvas for the return wraps.    Just finished a 4 panel piece which would have taken me several hours before.  It only took about 15 minutes to accomplish.  I hope they refine it a little more.

PSE for me as well, 2.0 I think...  it loaded onto WIN7 with no problems.  BTW, we just took delivery of a new "desktop" PC for our first venture into WIN7.  It is so fast I'm amazed and has 9 Gb of memory.  Could go to 50,  I got Pogue's book and it may take me a while to get into the details of Win7 but it's usable as is with just the XP experience to rely upon. 

Where do you get "lightroom"?

I'll have to agree with Tom on the advantages of Lightroom.  Eventually, keeping track of your collection of images is going to get impossible without some kind of image database.  I started with iView Media, which has bounced around through Microsoft, is now owned by Phase 1 & called Expression Media.  A good DAM, but its editing capabilities was limited.

I switched to Lightroom after Microsoft took over the program because Microsoft's Mac support is kinda lame.  Anyway, I find I use Photoshop less & less as I get better at working with Lightroom.  I still use Photoshop for a few tweaks, but about the only images that I currently run through Photoshop are those that are going to be printed at 16" X 20" or larger or those requiring Photoshop's better rubber stamp & healing tools. 

The advantage of Lightroom beyond its smooth editing flow is the ability to find a image using keywords, and/or EXIF data.  Sooner or later you are going to reach the point where you can no longer easily find an image among those stored on your hard disk(s).  The ability to search by keywords you assigned to an image, or date, camera, lens, or even location if you use a GPS to add coordinates to the EXIF data makes finding an image a snap.

Version 3 of Lightroom has added noise reduction to it's impressive list of features. It seems to work as good as Noise Ninja or Neat Image without all the hassle. Just move a slider and the noise just disappears.

Back
Top Bottom