Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Bad rust on an 08 Journey 39z – help!  (Read 26065 times)

Birddogman

• ---
Bad rust on an 08 Journey 39z – help!
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:37:13 PM »
I have an ’08 Winnie Journey 39z.  We have owned several Winnie Class A’s and are very happy with this one.  We bought this one new and to my knowledge, we have never driven through salted roads with it specifically to avoid rust problems.  Nonetheless, we seem to have quite a bit of rust on the undercarriage and on the black metal “boxes” that hold the basement storage compartments, etc.  See pics attached.

Any suggestions?

afchap

• ---
    • The Empty Nest
Re: Bad rust on an 08 Journey 39z – help!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »
The rig could have been driven on salted roads in it's maiden voyage from the factory to the dealer where it was first sold...

What I see in the pics looks like mostly surface rust to me due to the peeling paint.  On the face of the storage boxes, and any other normally visible areas, I probably would wire brush the areas to clean them up, then spray with a rust cure/preventative, and then cover with spray paint.  If the undercarriage rust isn't more than just surface rust, I don't worry about it on mine...
Paul ... (KE5LXU), was fulltimin', now parttimin'...
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40e
'05 Honda Odyssey toad
Escapees, FMCA, SMART, WIT
http://www.pjrider.com

boatbuilder

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »
A good rust preventative is Ospho.  You can get it at most paint or hardware stores.  You brush it on and leave it overnight and the rusted areas turn black and you paint over them.  It works real well.  It is what we used on the ships and boats.
Charlie

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 07:36:24 PM »
Yep, what you have seems to be really common.  When I fixed mine I wire brushed the area, a light sand, and then used brush on Rust-o-leum.  The brush on goes on much thicker than the spray on, and I was able to do it in a campground without overspray to worry about.   I still carry whats left of the quart of paint I didn't use. I touch up various things on the rig from time to time.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

GG1

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 08:05:34 PM »
Wire brush it, get a wire brush that attaches to your drill, sand it good, try a product called POR 15, its a 2 step process, the rust will not come back.
07 Itasca Ellipse 40fd, 14 Honda CRV, pit/pointer mix(rip bessie), sharpei mix,  greyhound/lab mix

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 07:14:35 AM »
We have some of the same issues in spite of the optional undercoating we ordered.  I've already sandblasted around the plumbing bay sheet metal (under the gasket was rusty), primed and repainted.  Not sure what the deal is with this.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 07:20:47 AM »
The powder coat finish is peeling right off, so I would guess poor prep work at the factory.  The fact that many of you are having the same issue further suggests that.  The rust is along a welded seam and that is an area ripe for rust anyway and more difficult to prep properly for painting. Once the powder coat begins to lift, it actually traps moisture between itself and the metal and you get widespread and deep rust before the coating finally breaks away and exposes it.

The suggested techniques should do the repair job. It's a bit time consuming & dirty but not highly highly skilled work.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Wizard46

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 08:21:47 AM »
Another thing I did when repairing the same thing on mine was replace the screws you see with stainless steel. A mini side grinder with wire brush worked great, then had to use a toothbrush size wire brush in the crevices.

Applied a rust preventative, can't remember the name, then several coats of Rustoleum.  Been holding good now for a few years.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Home: Milledgeville Ga.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 08:53:50 AM »
Gary - don't think it is powder coated, I think it might be dipped.  I agree with you about the poor surface prep, if our other vehicles can manage to keep their paint, so should our coach.

I'm also replacing some exterior fasteners with stainless.  Need to do a bunch on the roof.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

2KViggen

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 09:08:11 AM »
my 08 bounder has rust in the same areas... not as bad but I know it will be soon. Dealing with fleetwood on fixing it since we are still under warrante

mine is painted... not powdercoated
09 Buell 1125 cr

Birddogman

• ---
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 08:16:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice, folks.  Much appreciated.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 10:52:48 PM »
Hey John, you see a pattern here?  I see an 02' coach, you have an 05', I have an 06', and the OP has an 08'.  Me thinks that there is a significant problem in the building process.  It is obivious that their manufacturing process needs an overhaul.  What do you think?
Marty--

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 06:41:35 AM »
I certainly think there is room for improvement.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Pierat

• ---
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 10:54:14 AM »
Anyone ask the mfr to fix it?
We Have Hung Up The Keys!
Washington State

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 04:24:06 PM »
Mines just starting... >:(

emiddleb

• ---
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 05:09:27 PM »
Got it on my '04.
Ed and Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 05:59:33 PM »
Well there is obviously a problem with their manufacturing process with these parts. And I don't know about everyone else, but at least for myself and SCVJeff, our rigs spent most of the time in sunny So. Cal.  No ice, no snow, and no salted roads.  Yep, there's a problem there.........
Marty--

Art In Mobile

• ---
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 10:23:04 PM »
My 06 Voyage had it bad two years ago. Not any better now! But I see the tone on this thread has changed. When I mentioned it a while ago, a lot was said about the environment  I live in. Well my 11 year old Jeep has almost NO rust on it & it has been sitting out in the Alabama sun all this time. Winnebago boasts about there dipping in a bath to rust proof the frame pieces. I do NOT believe in a love fest with any manufacturer. They make a good Rv but if we never complain I bet the problem also never gets fixed.
Art in Mobile 2006 Voyage V-10 Ford

afchap

• ---
    • The Empty Nest
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 10:55:13 PM »
I have no rust problem around the compartment boxes, but did have a very bad problem at 4 yr with the metal that holds the kick panel on under the entry door. When at GNR I took the tour of the corrosion control ection ...what I saw and heard there made the rusted metal I repaired behind the kick panel very mysterious to me...
'05 Honda Odyssey toad

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 06:34:21 AM »
Winnebago boasts about there dipping in a bath to rust proof the frame pieces

Art - as far as I remember, only the cab area steel frame is dipped in the giant vats and I think the steel that has the bath treatment does quite well.  That coating was apparently quite effective because Winne had a contract to process military Hummer parts - my memory might be a little off in the details, but they do or have processed other manufacturer's steel parts.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Art In Mobile

• ---
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 07:40:28 AM »
John
You are probably right on about the side panels not being dipped. My corrosion is so bad on the side panels that at the bottom where the rubber lip meets, that the rust is pushing out the rubber. Again my point is if we keep this problem to our selves it will not get fixed. The squeaky wheel always gets the grease.   If we all let Winnebago know about this and if they fix the problem, We would have helped Winnebago make a good product even better.

boatbuilder

• ---
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 07:48:49 AM »
One tip when replacing fasteners in the newly painted metal.  Use a product such as Tef-Gel on the screw.  It will keep the raw metal that gets exposed from the threads from starting to corrode.  It also makes them easier to remove in the future.  Works great on SS fasteners into aluminum.
Charlie

bigdad72

• ---
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 02:38:03 PM »
Noticed same issue on basement compartments on an '08 Sightseer 35j I'm considering....  badly rusted.... made me think the worst for the unit which was otherwise very clean.  Although I'm not happy to hear that it's a somewhat common problem, it does make me see the used unit I'm looking at in a different light.  All the solutions that have been posted sound reasonable and accurate.  Thanks!

Dar

• ---
  • Home is where and when we decide!
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 03:13:37 PM »
Same problems here but additionally we have paint bubbling on the drivers door that has spread since last fall. It is going into the body shop in two weeks to have this addressed along with some touch ups/buffing of some scratches and dings (I don't do the painted areas). I addressed some of the access panels and basement compartments last year, have more to address this year. I was going to notify Winnebago just to make them aware but really thought that ours was just a fluke, now I see they do need to be notified. I think my largest disappointment is the door.
Dar & Bill
2012 Winnebago Journey 40U
2013 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4X4
Blue Ox baseplate
Ready Brute tow bar w/integrated Ready Brake & Breakaway

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 04:13:42 PM »
now I see they do need to be notified

They're aware.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

afchap

• ---
    • The Empty Nest
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 05:31:48 PM »
only the cab area steel frame is dipped in the giant vats
I really thought from what I heard and saw on the GNR tour that they did the corrosion control dip treatment to pretty much all the metal pieces.

The only other place (other than the entry door kick panel) we have had a rust problem with was a small area on the top of the windshield frame where water apparently trickled down the inside of the front cap from a leaking clearance lamp and ended up on the top of the frame. It resulted in a water leak inside, and a disastrous dealer experience in which they said they could remove the glass, fix the frame, and then replace the glass.  They destroyed both windshields getting them out ...nearly a month later (one windshield arrived broken and the dealership did not check the shipment until they went to install it, so had to wait for another shipment from the factory), we were back on the road with new glass, damaged wipers that I eventually had to fix on my own, and a few other minor dealer damaged items I dealt with. The worst part of our RV experience is trying to find and avoid the too many downright incompetent dealer service departments. It seems that most do as much damage or more damage as they repair...
'05 Honda Odyssey toad

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 05:51:32 PM »
The worst part of our RV experience is trying to find and avoid the too many downright incompetent dealer service departments

Yet another good reason to make the trip to Forest City.  There has to be excellent servicing dealers out there, however we prefer factory service for the house stuff.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

afchap

• ---
    • The Empty Nest
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 07:45:34 PM »
we prefer factory service for the house stuff
We have found a few really good dealers around the country, but that is one reason we like to make it to GNR about every 2-3 years ...let the factory deal with the things dealers have failed to fix and I have not been able to figure out on my own.  Northern Iowa just isn't on our normal travel routes visiting friend, family, etc.
'05 Honda Odyssey toad

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 01:36:59 AM »
Mine is starting on seam edges. That tells me that if it wasn't painted in place where the butted panels join, they sure weren't dipped, and only flat sprayed. Once I clean the problem area up I might look into somehow running some sort of tape down the front and up the back because I don't think it's possible to paint those edges. The questions is: what kind of tape?

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 05:09:15 PM »
I used some seam tape on my roof called "Press and Seal".  It is most likely comparable to Eternabond.  Super sticky, and most likely non-removable.  It came in about a 25' roll.  I still have most of it left.  If you really want to seal up a seam, that would be the stuff. 
Marty--

Scott-0168

• ---
  • Married
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 10:13:56 PM »
The Big 3 U.S. auto makers got into trouble with rust issues years ago, remember? Mainly because of poor quality steel that was used back than. Let's hope Winnebago isn't going down this road to save $$$.

Scott 0168
Home State- Michigan
Winter home-Arcadia, Florida
Motor Home-2003 Pace Arrow 37A
USN-Vietnam Vet.

seilerbird

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 10:16:39 PM »
Winnebago doesn't use any steel in the RVs that they build. They use plastic and aluminum. The chassis manufacturers use steel.

John Mo

• ---
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2010, 12:02:25 AM »
My '09 has the same rust as pictured in the OP. If I had spotted it a few months earlier, I would have still been under warranty and would have had it addressed by my dealer. I was really, really disappointed to find so much rust just 14 months after buying it new off the lot. :o

Winnebago doesn't use any steel in the RVs that they build. They use plastic and aluminum. The chassis manufacturers use steel.
It seems pretty obvious that Winnebago is using steel in the basement compartments since they are rusting. ???
2009 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

afchap

• ---
    • The Empty Nest
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2010, 01:54:35 PM »
Winnebago doesn't use any steel in the RVs that they build. They use plastic and aluminum.
Not the case ...Winnebago does use aluminum framing inside the fiberglass walls, and in some other places.  But they do use steel in the basement storage boxes, both in tubular frames and panels. And there is a steel roll cage completely around the driver compartment including steel frame that the windshield glues into. Winnebago still uses a fair amount of steel, and it normally is dipped in a special mix in the corrosion control area at the factory ...I am surprised at some of the rust I see on panels that should have been/supposed were treated for corrosion control before assembly.
'05 Honda Odyssey toad

bobmacc

• ---
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2010, 06:27:18 PM »
I have a 08 Cambria with lots of surface rust on the  underside of the chassis and compartments. I use a product called RustCheck which comes in aerosol spray tins with a WD40 like applicator. It is a pink gel-like (when applied) oily sort of product. It is about $10/tin and three tins should cover the underside of most RVs. It can be applied right over rust, it does not dry and dust adheres to it so  you won't  touch a coated suface without getting black grease like grime on your hands. I also touch it up every couple of years covering wear spots or spots I had missed. It is widely avalable here in Canada (Canadian Tire, Auto stores, etc) and has been rated as highly effective. According to their website, it is sold in US K-Marts. Like any sort of product that we use, it has its fans as well as dissenters but I have used it for over 10 years with great success. No - I don't own or work for them!!

Bob
08 Cambria 29H
Southern Ontario
Bob
09 Winn Journey 39Z
Southern Ontario

Birddogman

• ---
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2010, 09:18:58 AM »
Well, my MH is in the shop and I'm getting an estimate on dealing with this rust.  I'll let you know what it is.

I wish I had the mechanical skills and time many here seem to have, but I have neither, so I must pay to get things done.  Maybe after I retire I will have the time to learn to deal with such things - most don't seem like rocket science.  For now, every hour I work buys much more than an hour of skilled RV technician time along with all of the tools and supplies to do the job properly, so I guess that's the route I must go.

It is very disappointing to have to do this on what amounts to a brand new coach never driven in salt!!  This would never be tolerated on a car or pickup that costs a fraction of what the MH cost.   >:(

Birddogman

• ---
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2010, 08:36:10 PM »
Thye want $2,500 to do the work.  What think?

Dar

• ---
  • Home is where and when we decide!
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 08:15:17 AM »
Thye want $2,500 to do the work.  What think?

We received an estimate for just the basement area portion of $1000. The total estimate for everything was $2000 so we had them do the work that requires a professional (at least beyond me) which were the painted/exposed areas of the body in addition to the stairs. I opted to continue to handle the basement area myself since it is more for protection than appearance. So basically $1000 out of pocket here. Was 2500 including undercoating as well?
Dar & Bill
2012 Winnebago Journey 40U
2013 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4X4
Blue Ox baseplate
Ready Brute tow bar w/integrated Ready Brake & Breakaway

AA4WP

• ---
    • Wendell's Choral Midi
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2010, 08:27:05 PM »
Fellas...looks like my 2004 Jouney in several places.  What a disappointment!  I had our Journey custom designed when we ordered it; I know I included (and paid for) undercoating (what ever that is).  I guess some places were missed; I know the cost was not excluded.

Wendell
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:18:34 PM by AA4WP »
2004 Journey 36' + 2014 Jeep GC
Track me with APRS: www.aprs.fi/aa4wp-9

Birddogman

• ---
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2010, 12:05:38 PM »
Final post on the subject:

The rust repair work is all done – my dealer did a great job to my untrained eyes – dismantled the whole lower part of the MH, found rust in places I never saw any, ground all the rust off to bare metal, coated everything with a rustproofing compound and then painted everything black.  Hopefully, this problem will now not re-occur.  All of this extensive work cost me about $2,700. 

Worth it, I suppose, to protect what I hope is my last Class A – something that I want to last another 15 or 20 years, which is all the longer I’ll last anyway.  Still a LOT of money to fix something that should not have happened in the first instance.

I wrote Winnebago a respectful letter acknowledging that the one-year warranty was expired, but suggesting that they should accept at least some responsibility for this sort of a problem (very clearly improper metal prep at the factory) in a new DP coach.  I got back an equally respectful letter telling me that rust and corrosion would not have been covered even if the warranty was still in effect.  Very disappointing.  Sigh.

BigJohn

• ---
  • 2006 Itasca Ellipse, Jeep GC
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2010, 12:42:56 PM »
Add my 06 Itasca to the rust list. Spent a couple hrs yesterday wire brushing and painting areas around the storage bays. Particularly disheartening is the rust around the lower parts of the bays, between the seal and the bottom of the bay.
Out wandering. Just can't wait to see what's over the next hill.
Not all who wander are lost.

Old Snipe

• ---
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 08:25:44 PM »
And my 2007 Journey, same rust, same places.  >:(

Paul D
2007 Winnebago Journey 39K
2003 Honda Element Toad
www.rsanityrvtravels.blogspot.com

itchn2go

• ---
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2010, 05:29:20 AM »
As others have said OSPHO is the answer. Scrape the rust with a wire brush getting rid of the flakes of paint. Brush on Ospho liberally let sit for 24 hours and then brush on Rustoleum paint for a thicker coat than spray. All this info came from a body shop man who was fixing some compartments on my MOHO. Its easy to do and this should last for years...Good Luck
Itchn2go, Seaford Va
05 Journey 350 Cat
Freightliner XC
04 Saturn Vue Toad

BigDogGus

• ---
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2010, 10:22:52 AM »
We have an '08 Voyage 32H.  Same rust in the same places.  Took it back to the dealer (2 months after buying it brand new) to have it fixed and the regional Winny rep initially said that controlling rust was my problem, not theirs.  Called Winnebago customer service directly and complained.  The regional rep called that afternoon and said it wouldn't be a problem to have it fixed right away.  Go figure.
Mark, Dawn, & Kira the Amazing Cheese Eating Dog
'08 Voyage 32H
'06 Saturn Ion3 Toad

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2010, 10:34:53 AM »
How does the saying go;"the squeaking wheel gets the oil"? :) Glad you found the way to squeak and get it fixed.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

coolz4

• ---
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2010, 09:43:13 PM »
I have a 2008 Adventurer that had the same rust issues.  Winnebago covered repair under warranty

Pubtym

• ---
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2010, 07:42:27 PM »
Add my 06 Itasca to the rust list. Spent a couple hrs yesterday wire brushing and painting areas around the storage bays. Particularly disheartening is the rust around the lower parts of the bays, between the seal and the bottom of the bay.

Add my 06 Itasca to the rust list. I had it delivered in late Spring so It travelled through salted roads..Rust really popped out the next year.

I tried many products and ended up with Rust Bullet 

http://www.rustbullet.com/

I strip rusted area (non-frame/primary chassis) with power wire wheel..then coat with Rust Bullet...second coat over heavily rusted area.

After 24 hrs, I hand paint with Rustoleum Flat Black. Final areas that are subject to wheel spray & tire debris throw off..I spray coat with Rustoleum Rubberized Undercoat.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=378

It is all holding up very well now and annual rust touch up is very minimal. I highly recommend staying off gravel roads. Gravel chips all surface coats on metal and opens them for rust cancer.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:47:52 PM by Pubtym »
Pubtym
Green Hornet, Viet Nam 68-69
MACVSOG

2006 Itasca Suncruiser Model 35U

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2010, 09:09:52 PM »
Thanks for the report Charlie!
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

kevin

• ---
  • North West Arkansas..Go Hogs!!!!
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2010, 10:37:55 PM »
Hey guy's you need to look into eastwood company, they make many rust control products, that claim to stop it completly ;)
2006 Tour
2011 Buick Enclave

gave up on that winning lotto ticket!

Jack D

• ---
  • Elmira, OR
    • HMDS
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2010, 12:25:12 PM »
We just bought a 25 year old ('85 Itasca) and the undercarriage is so rusty that it literally flakes off in places. This really surprised me. Why would the undercarriage of this Itasca, be so badly rusted when other vehicles, like the '76 Dodge class "C" that it replaced was not rusty at all? I also own an '85 Dodge van (one ton) that has virtually no rust problems underneath.  At first, I thought maybe the Itasca had been stored near the coast where fog was a normal occurance, but after reading this thread, I wonder.

Ours may be too far gone to do much with. This Winter, while it's inside the shop, I'll take a good look and maybe try some of the suggested products talked about here to stem the tide. I don't think anything is in danger of breaking.....(I hope).....yet.
Jack

23' '85 Itasca Sunflyer, followed closely by:
16' '73 Old Towne FG Canoe

afchap

• ---
    • The Empty Nest
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2010, 03:30:45 PM »
undercarriage is so rusty that it literally flakes off in places
The picture looks like what I would expect from a vehicle that has been driven a lot in areas where the roads are salted in winter weather.  When I took a 1970 van to NY in 1980, few people there believe that it was 10 years old due to the lack of rust ...I felt like the government should have paid me for all the rust damage my vehicles incurred in just 3 years because I was only there due to military orders!!! :)
'05 Honda Odyssey toad

dustydog

• ---
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2010, 01:46:55 AM »
Add my 02 Ultimate Advantage as well.   Bought used - very clean unit except for the rusty underside.  We have been scraping and re coating as well.
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 36C dp

Scott-0168

• ---
  • Married
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2010, 08:33:11 PM »
I guess we need to spray the under side of our rigs with fresh water regularly after being driven. This might help some, but I got a feeling the problem lies in the steel itself!  >:(

Scott
Home State- Michigan
Winter home-Arcadia, Florida
Motor Home-2003 Pace Arrow 37A
USN-Vietnam Vet.

Old Snipe

• ---
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2011, 05:45:40 PM »
Not the steel but poor surface preparation.  WB just spray paints bare metal with no primer.  In no time the paint looses the sealing ability and moisture gets under it causing rust.

This is a quality control issue and WB has to know they are short cutting a proper process for painting metal.  Look at the car companies today, they dip the whole car in a primer bath before it is painted.  Is WB doing that?

Best Regards!
Paul D
2003 Honda Element Toad

afchap

• ---
    • The Empty Nest
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2011, 07:03:19 PM »
Look at the car companies today, they dip the whole car in a primer bath before it is painted.  Is WB doing that?
  It does look like Winnie simply spray paints much of the metal, but as a matter of fact, Winnebago has an extensive corrosion control department where metal parts are dipped ... that is common knowledge, and is part of the factory tour. I have seen it myself, and don't understand why some of the corrosion/rust problems I have seen can exist.  Most of us who have seen that believe there must be some kind of problem with their dipping process...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:13:19 PM by afchap »
'05 Honda Odyssey toad

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2011, 07:54:29 PM »
WB just spray paints bare metal with no primer...

That is certainly not correct for at least the cab area which like Paul said is dipped into two or three (forgot) baths of chemicals and then paint (which many have seen on factory tours.)  Whatever process Winnie uses for coating the sheet steel (i.e., compartment bays) is not very ineffective effective as I have had to deal with rust mitigation in about year four of my ownership

Winnie could prepare and coat all of the sheet steel to where it wouldn't rust for 20 years - not rocket science.  Obviously they don't want to spend the money for an attribute that doesn't add to the wow or bling-bling factor of selling product.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:47:24 PM by John Canfield »
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Old Snipe

• ---
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2011, 07:38:19 PM »
No excuse for not doing it right.  Ten years from now, how much bling will you need to cover metal rusted all the way through?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my WB, but the painting of the metal is very poor.  Even the dipped front frame.  I had rust on the metal around my windshield frame after just three years.  Even Detroit does better than that now.

Would the rust keep me from buying another WB product in the future?  No, they do so many things right and exceed expectations in many areas, like providing the info on parts, plumbing and electrical systems for the owners.  It is disappointing that they don't use technology that exists to eliminate the rust problem once and for all.  ::)

Best Regards!
Paul D
2003 Honda Element Toad

Art In Mobile

• ---
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2011, 08:02:43 PM »
A while back I posted a thread about making the panels out of stainless steel. I removed 2 rear pieces from around the generator area and sand blasted and painted them. The problem with just painting the front without removing it is the rust behind it and in the areas by the rubber seals. The rust pushes up the rubber seals. I found that I could buy enough stainless steel for one complete side for 250 dollars. Winnebago can get a much better deal on stainless steel than I. Each piece of the compartment walls have a number stamped on mine. I would pay for those pieces especially the sewer bay area in stainless steel if they were available. They are not that hard to install. I would end up with a much better compartment side & cheaper than having the sides painted only on one side. WB could save some of the cost of stainless steel as they could skip the painting step. They could also make money selling us those pieces.Just my 2 cents. Art

carlricard04

• ---
  • 2004 Vectra/ C182 Pilot
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2012, 12:50:03 PM »
You are so right about Winnebago not caring enough to use metals that are rust proof in some manner. the panels could at least be galvanized, automobiles are and they don't rust out. I own a 2004 Vectra and every few years I take a 1/2 day and start sandblasting the compartment exteriors under the door seals or any where else I see rust in those areas.  It almost always rust between the half round strip and the bottom edge of a compartment. The water compartment takes the worst hitl if Winnebago had at least had the edge of the plastic compartment rolled up along the outside edge it would have force any water to go out a drain hole. They weren't that smart thougn; instead that edge is rolled down and sandwiched between untreated steel which is pop rivited together and continuosly rusts. As the bottom edge of the water compartment rusts it also swells and pushed the half round strip further away and lets in more dirt and moisture to accelerate the rusting.
An old retired Electronics Engineer still Driving and Flying around the country. Life is good!

howdymi

• ---
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2012, 04:16:54 PM »
We had a 2000 Winnie that had the same rust, so the problem goes back that far.  Bought a 2008 and within warranty it rusted.  Originally Winnie blamed me saying I had driven it in salt conditions.  That was not true, to this day it’s never seen salt with us driving it.  6 days before warranty ran out Winnie agreed to fix the rust.  Our dealer did the work and so far no more rust. 
Winnebago 08 Voyage 35L

Wagonmaster2

• ---
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2012, 10:15:44 PM »
All this is excellent information for me as my 2004 Meridian is showing rust in some of the same places.   A lot of my rust is showing up on the front edges of the compartments just behind the front wheels.  I'm assuming  the front tires are probably throwing up road debris  and knowing off the paint leaving the metal to rust.
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2001 Jeep Sahara Wrangler

GG1

• ---
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2012, 07:13:38 AM »
In reference to a previous post about a specific department in Winnebago Industries that handles corrosion or rust preventives,,,everyone in that dept SHOULD BE FIRED because they do not know what they are doing! The problem has been on going for too many years.
07 Itasca Ellipse 40fd, 14 Honda CRV, pit/pointer mix(rip bessie), sharpei mix,  greyhound/lab mix

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2012, 08:50:11 AM »
Maybe we should identify those that designed/produced my coach so they can be spared from employment termination.  I don't have much of a rust issue.  ;)
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

alid

• ---
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2012, 08:36:37 AM »
my 2009 32H has the same problem..  add me to the list

D @ j

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »
My 2003 brave had an electical ground problem that caused the same rust problems, which took me a few years to figure out. Even taking it to the service departments, and calling the manufactuture did not solve the problem. I found the starter solinoid was grounding though the frame a small amount of current. I corrected the problem and then electically sanded the areas under the coach and inway of the bay doors, which took weeks of work, but no more rust problems. I did find other small electrical problems that also added to the rust problem, but like I said it took years of on and off searching. I know what you are going though and I wish you luck.

carlricard04

• ---
  • 2004 Vectra/ C182 Pilot
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2013, 06:46:00 AM »
Most of the ideas suggested work, I personally prefer to sandblast the bad areas; however, the real problem is Winnebago. They are just too cheap to use better materials like a galvanized metal on these compartments like the automobile manufacturers.
An old retired Electronics Engineer still Driving and Flying around the country. Life is good!

Hosted by Over The Network