Best route from Capitol Reef NP to Yosemite NP??? Next Week!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taoshum

:-\  We need advice... I assume the "back door" to Yosemite is still closed, hiway 120, probably not open due to snow? So it's either Bakersfield or North to the first open pass, probably hiway 88 just south of Lake Tahoe.  Any recent experiences from RV folks would be really helpful.  We will make the drive late next week.

thanks!!!!! Gary

Tioga Pass is closed like a bank on Sunday per CalTrans.  The simple way is I-15 thru Vegas to Barstow; CA-58 at Barstow to Bakersfield;  CA-99 at Bakersfield to Fresno; then CA-41 to Coarsegold and Yosemite.    Resist the temptation to take CA-140 at Merced, it is partially closed due to a helluva landslide --  long vehicles will have trouble.

I'd take Carl's suggestions.  CA 88/89 is a very high and steep route - you'll be better off going north to US 50 at Carson City and taking that or I-80 at Reno across the Sierras if you go the northern route.

Carl nailed it! I've been to Yosemite a bunch of times, and that is simply the easiest road.  No matter what time of year it should be driveable.

CA 88/89 is a very high and steep route

Oh lord yes!  88/89 is Carson Pass which rates a third of a page of purple prose in Mountain Directory.  The prose includes 7-8% grades and curves and grades too complicated to described in the space allotted.

There are really only three places to cross the Sierra for an RV:  I-80, US-50, and the easiest, CA-58.

Sorta same trip BUT headed the other way.  Right now in Jackson,CA on Hwy88 ~~ headed to Reno(Hwy80) then East.  Have been told that 88 over the 'hill' is quite doable in our rig(27'ClassA towingRav4).  NOW ya got me to wondering.  Better to shoot North to 50 then over.  Really rather not go thru Sac. to 80 if possible.

Thanks Again ~~ We will be on our way in the morning.  TravelSafe  ~~  HaveFun  ~~  Kate

maddog348 said:
Sorta same trip BUT headed the other way.  Right now in Jackson,CA on Hwy88 ~~ headed to Reno(Hwy80) then East.  Have been told that 88 over the 'hill' is quite doable in our rig(27'ClassA towingRav4).  NOW ya got me to wondering.  Better to shoot North to 50 then over.  Really rather not go thru Sac. to 80 if possible.

Thanks Again ~~ We will be on our way in the morning.  TravelSafe  ~~  HaveFun  ~~  Kate

Please let us know what you do and the condition of the roads... also if you know of a nice place to overnight on that route, we'd really appreciate knowing that too.  We left three days to get there, which is plenty if nothing goes wrong.  If we go North going west, then we will go south going home so that we can see Kings/Sequoias and the GC.  Hope the wind (south) and the snow(north) subsides. 

Will you take 50 east?... if so there is a friendly/reasonable place to overnight at Baker, Nv... close to the Great Basin Park/Mounment.

thanks, G.

Kate, has the person who recommended CA-88 a person who has actually driven it in a motorhome with toad?  We did it once many years ago in either an 18- or 22-foot Class C and it was twisty, turny, and narrow!  I prayed we wouldn't encounter anyone on a curve.  Definitely not for a larger motorhome.  Drive more miles on I-80 and you'll be a lot happier with lower blood pressure.

ArdraF

I assume everyone else knows that I80 to Reno from Sacremento is one of the roughest roads I've ever driven.  Unless it has been repaired it is horrible.  It shook the bdrm TV out and it was hanging by the coax when we stopped.  This was about a year ago.  Maybe hiway50 is better?

thanks, G.

I agree. I-80 on the Reno side of Donner Pass is like a washboard.

They repair I-80 constantly and it is always like a washboard. Extreme freezing temperatures coupled with earthquakes play hell on that road.

Just me ~~  Finally got to somewhere with wi-fi.  Decided against 88.  Left Jackson yesterday AM took 49 to 50 ~~ Good til started to snow at about Kyburtz(sp?) Snowed all the way to Tahoe ~ decent road.  Got to Reno started snowing again ~~ holed up in KOA for nite.  Left this am headed East (on80) wind ~ rain ~ snow all day.  Now in Wells,NV gonna stay til weather clears.

ArdraF,  Yes the fella that told us 88 0k has pulled it in 38'er towing.  However he also told us we could take the Rav4 over SchneblyHillRoad out of Sedona.  Should have learned.

Thanks all ~~  Hope this rains ends soon.  TakeCare ~~  TravelSafe  ~~  HaveFun  ~~  Kate

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom