Damon Avanti

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shlemon

Does anyone own a Damon Avanti and if so are you satisfied with it? What about the difference between the '09 and '10 models with respect to GVWR GCWR and performance and handling?  I am thinking the 09 GVWR and GCWR may be a little on the light side.

Even though the 2010 brochure says otherwise the Avanti 31' still has the 16000 GVW chassis and only carries a total payload of 1665 lbs.  Not good.  The local Damon Dealer rep tells me that the Avanti is discontinued.  I have moved on and bought a Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH.  I think I made a good choice.

shlemon said:
Even though the 2010 brochure says otherwise the Avanti 31' still has the 16000 GVW chassis and only carries a total payload of 1665 lbs.  Not good.  The local Damon Dealer rep tells me that the Avanti is discontinued.  I have moved on and bought a Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH.  I think I made a good choice.

I am looking at a new 2011 Avanti so I am guessing that your local rep was incorrect when he said that the Avanti is discontinued. Damon has them in their 2012 lineup as well. Being totally new to RVing, why would you say that a 1665 ibs. payload is not good??  I currently have a small trailer with a payload of only 500 ibs. and that is plenty for me at the moment. With 1600 plus pounds I could carry everything, including the kitchen sink.

Thanks

Karsten

Karsten,

What do you think of the Avanti? We don't have any in our area to look at and I would love to see one.

Michelle

The GVWR of the 2012 is 18k with a GCWR of 26k. That and 14+ mpg withe Cummins diesel FRED, looks good. The 3106 has almost 2xs the external storage of the 2806. http://www.avantirv.com/specs.php Its a contender.

Hi Michelle ...

I haven't seen the Avanti in person yet. I have an appointment on Thursday to take her on a test drive. I like the floor plan of the 2806 and from the pictures I've seen it looks very nice. And bonus ... I also like the exterior colour of the unit I am looking at and it seems to have all the options I would want including the built-in GPS system. Some of the reviews I've seen are pretty positive as well. However, as Bob pointed out the 3106 does have double the exterior storage. I am a light traveller.  I am not a campground type of person. I am basically a traveller and won't be staying in any one place for long periods of time. I won't be taking some of the usual items that others might take when they go camping. No BBQ's, or ATV's or canoes etc. I am divorced and currently on my own, so most of my travelling will be solo.  I am an ametuer  photographer and want to explore as much of North America as time and finances permits. The heaviest items I will be carrying will be my camera equipment and laptop.  :)

Everything else between the two units seems pretty much the same.

The biggest issue for me will be price. I've done a little comparing and from what I see the price they quote seems to be pretty good for a new 2011 unit. Here in Canada it has a MSRP of $160,915 and they are letting it go for $115,000. Or at least that's what they are quoting. We'll see after I try and beat him up a bit. ;D

I don't imagine that a 2012 unit will have as much room to negotiate.

I still have the 2011 Toyota Sienna and the 2011 KZ Spree Escape E14RB to deal with and I have some pokers in the fire for them.  So ... we'll see how things go on Thursday.

IF THERE IS ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE THAT DOES HAVE AN AVANTI I'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM THEM ....

Karsty said:
. . . the 3106 does have double the exterior storage. I am a light traveller.  I am not a campground type of person. I am basically a traveller and won't be staying in any one place for long periods of time. I won't be taking some of the usual items that others might take when they go camping.

Karsti,

The major advantage to the 3106 will come at the time of trade-in or sale, for as you stated, "a campground type of person, one who stays is a spot for awhile," is likely to long for more storage and pass your coach by. Since you probably will travel as light you say. it won't cost extra carrying air. I do think you might want to get an inflatable kayak and get some great pictures from on the water.

Then, there's the off-chance that somewhere way down the road you will want someone to travel with you for awhile and you could use the empty space. . . ;)

OK ? I have seen the Avanti and took a long test drive. I liked the unit very much and the price seemed pretty good. It was a lot bigger than I had thought it would be. I can drive and handle it alright ? but I have to think about the kind of travelling that I am planning to do.

I want to explore every nook and cranny of North America that I can. That means back roads, country roads and if the past is any indication ... dead end roads that leave little room to turn around. Is the Avanti going to allow me to do this?? I don?t think so. PLUS I will have to tow a car if I want to be able to get out and explore.

That?s not how I want to travel right now.  As I have said somewhere in this FORUM ? I am a traveller as opposed to a destination person.

I am now looking at the smaller Class B on the Mercedes/Sprinter chassis. There are a number of units out there. Most are a too pricy to suit me ? but if I am going to realize my dream and start travelling I have to make a decision. I found a local RV dealer that is willing to take both my van and travel trailer on a trade. It might be the time to make my move.

I took a 2012 Winnebago ERA for a test drive and have to admit is was nicer than I thought. Very comfortable and with the dual rear wheels seems very stable as well. So now I am leaning toward this unit.  I will think on it for the rest of the weekend and check out some reviews and if anyone on this site has any thoughts they would be welcome.

I will place a post in the WINNEBAGO thread and see if there are any owners of this unit.

Thanks again to all for your thoughts and suggestions.

Karsty

Just a thought, for extended back-country travel, the size of the water and waste tanks could be an issue to compare. Also factors such as whether you need a generator.

Pierat said:
Just a thought, for extended back-country travel, the size of the water and waste tanks could be an issue to compare. Also factors such as whether you need a generator.

Hi Pierat ... yes they are factors to consider. The ERA has a 2,500-watt Cummins Onan? MicroQuiet? LP generator. The holding tanks are fair ... FRESH/BLACK/GREY are: 30/10/22.

Since I travel alone I know how to conserve and do ... especially when I am boondocking. I can get a couple of weeks out of 30 gallon fresh tank if necessary. I've done it with the trailer.

It is not likely that I would be totally isolated for more than a few days ... but one never knows.

Thanks for your comments.

Karsten (Karsty)

I am considering the Damon Avanti also due to its good gas mileage claims.  Does anybody have any knowledge on its quality?

I test drove a Thor Ace 29.1 that was slightly used and I was sorely disappointed.  I saw that the ceiling vinyl was bubbling around edges.  The drop down bed had small cuts at the mechanical hinges, and it was already rattling and squeaking. 

Is this normal?  I am considering more heavily on the sprinter era since my wife and I have a 5 yr old and 3 yr old. However, it sure would be nice to be able to invite grandparents, etc.

Mike911 said:
I am considering the Damon Avanti also due to its good gas mileage claims.  Does anybody have any knowledge on its quality?

I test drove a Thor Ace 29.1 that was slightly used and I was sorely disappointed.  I saw that the ceiling vinyl was bubbling around edges.  The drop down bed had small cuts at the mechanical hinges, and it was already rattling and squeaking. 

Is this normal?  I am considering more heavily on the sprinter era since my wife and I have a 5 yr old and 3 yr old. However, it sure would be nice to be able to invite grandparents, etc.

I can't help you with the Avanti ... other than what I posted above. I still like it but it just wasn't suitable for my kind of travelling. I DID purchase the Winnebago ERA however and have other posts in this FORUM about that experience. Overall I am pleased. It meets my needs for the kind of travelling I do, bearing in mind that I travel alone most of the time.  I am a traveller and explorer. I do not park in campgrounds and sit in front of a campfire roasting marshmallows. I am able to travel all the back and country roads with no problem. I have only encountered one low tunnel on my travels so far. No problem with parking or even driving through a fast food drive thru, if need be.

As for squeaks and rattles. As once was pointed out to me ... you are hauling your house with you. It will squeak and rattle. There are ways to minimize but I have found that I got use to some of the noises. It is not a luxury vehicle.

I'm not sure what kind of travelling plans you have ... but with 2 young children??  Not sure really how that will suit your needs. It can get pretty small in there on a cold or rainy day. Have you thought about sleeping arrangements?? For me the coach/bed is quite comfortable. Not sure how it would be for 4 ...

If you would like more information on the ERA let me know via this FORUM or PM me.

Karsty

Karsty,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have been working like a dog, and had to put the RV thought aside.  Well I made an offer today, and I'm picking up my new 2012 ERA Monday!  (I am new to forums, and I don't know how to PM.) Regardless, I am pretty excited.  My kids sleep with us at home on the king bed, and I figured it would work similarly. We don't plan to stay longer than weekends at the beach or lake, and we hope to take many trips to my wife's hometown of Orlando (where we have family and a place to stay).  I'm partial to the sprinter because it looks like a big van.  I figured homeowner associations won't give us too much grief wherever we go.  When I can find two weeks of time, I will adventure to San Francisco to visit other family.  I think I can rig the two front seats for possible sleeping arrangements for grandparents without the (folding mattress of the roadtrek), if they wanted to tag along.  It reminds me of when I was young with humble means, and my blue collar parents took us and the cousins in a work van to the beach for the weekends (just laying carpet and sleeping bags on the floor).  Gas mileage will be awesome!  If you have any unique advice, it would greatly be appreciated.

Mike:

New members cannot avail themselves of PM until you have made a specific number of posts. Sorry for the inconvience but we had a spam attack through the PM system that required the restriction on new members.

Mike911 said:
Karsty,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have been working like a dog, and had to put the RV thought aside.  Well I made an offer today, and I'm picking up my new 2012 ERA Monday!  (I am new to forums, and I don't know how to PM.) Regardless, I am pretty excited.  My kids sleep with us at home on the king bed, and I figured it would work similarly. We don't plan to stay longer than weekends at the beach or lake, and we hope to take many trips to my wife's hometown of Orlando (where we have family and a place to stay).  I'm partial to the sprinter because it looks like a big van.  I figured homeowner associations won't give us too much grief wherever we go.  When I can find two weeks of time, I will adventure to San Francisco to visit other family.  I think I can rig the two front seats for possible sleeping arrangements for grandparents without the (folding mattress of the roadtrek), if they wanted to tag along.  It reminds me of when I was young with humble means, and my blue collar parents took us and the cousins in a work van to the beach for the weekends (just laying carpet and sleeping bags on the floor).  Gas mileage will be awesome!  If you have any unique advice, it would greatly be appreciated.

Hey Mike911 ...

Well there you have it ... I didn't realize that new members couldn't PM either. We learn something new everyday.

I'm sure you will enjoy the ERA. So far I have 16,000 KM on mine in 5 months. Having a blast so far. My major trips are ahead of me and I am looking forward to it. You will never find "the perfect" RV ... and the ERA does have somethings about it that I don't like/care for ... but I've worked around all so far. The big plus as you pointed out is the mileage. With prices running around $1.29 a litre in Canada. (about $4.90 a US gallon) it's nice to have better fuel economy than the larger RV's offer.

Best of luck with you ERA and again ... if you have any questions let me know ... not sure when the PM thingy will start working for you ... just keep posting and a small blue circle icon should appear below my name.

Karsty

[quote author=Karsty]... just keep posting and a small blue circle icon should appear below my name.[/quote]

For clarification, the blue circle is a link to your web site (photo gallery). The PM icon is the square 'thought bubble' on the right of the attached screen shot.

Attachments

• email-pm-icons.jpg
    email-pm-icons.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom