Class A and small toad vs Truck & Fifth wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We considered a class C and tow the Ranger but went with the trailer, thought the Ranger would handle it. Wrong.
We had one vehicle for a while and decided it was not flexible enough, she needs her own because our work schedules don't mesh. Rather than buy a MH which would get limited use before we retire and a second car, we elected to keep the Ranger. It is paid for and worth little on trade because of age and mileage. We now have my commuter, an 05 Dodge diesel, for vacations. This may change once we retire and only need one car.
It comes down to lifestyle and personal preferences. We love the trailer, set up camp and leave for the day. It's not a biggie to get out for potty breaks, lunch, and a stretch while on the road. Just my .02 CDN worth.

We too need two vehicles, so a motorhome would make a 3rd motorized vehicle to maintain.  While I have seen some used MH for cheaper than I paid for my truck and trailer combined, I still need the truck.

The only way to really make the best decision is to write down on a piece of paper what all your requirements are as well as the pros and cons of both.  The pros and cons from your perspective as a disadvantage for one could be an advantage for another.

We too need two vehicles, so a motorhome would make a 3rd motorized vehicle to maintain.
Since this is a Fulltimeing forum.  :D

Why would you still need a truck and a car with a MH?  ???
Most full time people don't need that many vehicles. Maybe 99.9% only need one toad.

Whatever you decide, you will love the lifestyle.  When you park next to a $1 million Newmar or Provost, just think of what his payments are on that thing- it comes into perspective pretty quick.

If you do decide to go with a 5th wheel, just be sure to get enough truck.  When you look in the dictionary under "white knuckle" you will see a picture of a big 5th wheel and a very marginal pickup.  Big tractor-trailer type tractors can be had for surprisingly little money, compared to what a spiffied up 3/4 ton dually diesel pickup costs.

As seilerbird said, driving a diesel pusher is a cinch, once you figure out where the corners are.  When backing, get out and look, back a bit, then get out and look, and you can put them in amazingly tight spaces.

I do love mine.

Biker56,  This is NOT a full-timing forum, far from it.  Most of us on here still have homes, or condos; or are still working and only gone from home for long weekends; or for 2 week long vacations. 

Only a handful of folks here are full-timers.   

Marsha~

Marsha

The message was posted on the "Full-Timers" Board, so unless the OP posted on the wrong board, Biker56 had a valid question.

You can get a brand new F350 and a new high quality fifth wheel for at least 20-30k less than a new diesel motorhome and a toad. 20-30k can buy you a whole bunch of years worth of diesel fuel to run around in your truck. If money is your primary concern, you need to run the numbers on a spreadsheet and then make your decision.

Marsha/CA said:
Hi Bernie, because Biker56 called it a Full-timers "Forum" is why I pointed out the difference.

Marsha

OK, that makes sense. Poor choice of words by Biker

Make sure you cost our mainatance on both 5er and MH We went with the 5er as oil changes, etc are less plus tires on a mh much more expensive. We also like to sit in our unit and see out the back window as well as the large side windows
Each to his own though, if a little rain bothers you then go for the MH.
Good luck
Howard 

There are places that we leave the 5th wheel in the parking lot and drive through the area because the sign states NO RV! and I have to say it takes me no time to hook it up and unhook it. My friends have a motor coach and a hummer. It is nice but I can get in and out of places much easier. I use the 5 Th Wheel for a summer home at the beach when we are not traveling. One is not better than the other it is what you like. My 5 Th Wheel cost less than$ 40,000 his coach was over $800,000 and we have more room to live in. That is what I like.

I've asked Myself this question over and over. Class A and a small enclosed trailer for the bike.  Or Toy Hauler and PU.  I'm leaning toward the TH.  Bang for the buck I really think.

If pulling the trailer is the only use for the truck, you might want to lean toward the Motorhome.  A one ton truck is not very economical to use for sightseeing and primary transportation while camped.  If you need the truck for other uses, then the truck and trailer is worth considering. 

My wife and I have been in areas that post signs No RV. We unhook the 5er in the parking lot and see everything go back hook up and drive on.

We started with a 24' c-class then went to a 32' a-class and now that iv'e come to my senses we now own a fiver! My beef with MH's all come down to two beefs,one here in Canada we have e-tests [our minister of the enviroment said e-tests aren't neccassary but the crooks in ottawa won't give up the cash-grab] and very few places that will test a MH,secondly when they break down aside from some way over-priced crook at the rv yard mechanics don't want to work on them. My dodge ram 3500 diesel dually breaks down it's off to the garage,badda bing,badda boom!!

Although this is an older thread by about four years, the topic is certainly ongoing. I will toss in a word for the classic travel trailer. I rented motorhomes, one for an extended period. I now own an Airstream trailer. You just cannot beat a trailer. I've read countless posts on the advantages of various RV types but a trailer, in my opinion, holds most closely to being affordable, easiest to maintain and most flexible. I came to this conclusion while shopping and using my measuring tape to provide comparatively calculated approach toward a decision. What I found was that trailers are often underestimated in storage capability when compared to other RV types. For example, the 72+ cubic ft of storage in a short bed crew cab pickup without a cap is ignored when comparing a trailer to a fifth-wheel's front storage area, when in reality it is prime easy-access storage! The reason it is ignored is because it is unusable with a 5th wheel! Add a cap, and you overtake most fifth-wheel offerings, at least in the smaller units. The same is true with Class A models. Yes, there is the rest of the basement but something else I found makes that difference a mute point. In several of the travel trailers, including an Airstream, there is more storage inside than a comparable Class A or the 5th wheels I looked at. I remember looking at a Winnebago Vista 26E with few cupboards. I measured each one while the salesman, catching on to what was important to me, continuously mentioned the outside storage. We looked at each compartment outside. Most were tight spaces. The nice part was the 100+ cu ft rear, but it did not really make up for the less inside stowage of even my 25'11" AS with a 72 cu ft truck bed AND nearly 30 cu ft of trunk (3 trunks on AS). Storage is not the total picture. Go price tires for a motorhome that have to be replaced every 5-6 years used much or not x6+ about $450 each- yikes!

As for slide-outs

Trailers, like motorhomes have optional slides and, for example, Coleman makes a trailer with long opposing slides that is like a condo when extended. Slides ARE nice but they too aren't for everyone. As a matter of fact, my measuring tape told a story on this point as well. Many trailers and some smaller motorhomes like the View, are narrow 74" or so. Still some are a bit wider at 96". Trailers or motorhomes that are narrow NEED slides to make up for the loss of a good 102" wide trailer or larger class A motorhome's width. Don't be fooled by seeing slides at the dinette and thinking it is bigger because of a slide-out. Consider that a 74" model is entirely 26" narrower than a wider model without slides. Slides can also be a headache. Consider if your needs really require them.

Trailers, towing and backing and diesel too

Well, most RVs now tow something but a trailer can be backed while a motorhome with a toad(car) cannot. Backing a trailer, especially a wide one, can be a challenge but it is possible. Most trailers also can be towed with a 1/2 ton truck which is really the most fuel efficient option in the RV world. A 1/2 ton later model gasser towing averages about 12mpg towing level ground. Most motorhomes range from 5-8 mpg gas and around 10-12 diesel (in smaller sizes) on level ground. Oh, and on diesel, as of 2014 a diesel has to get at least 2 mpg better to just make up the difference on fuel prices, that, the higher maintenance and the initial cost difference make diesels questionable in most cases. We are told that this year we should see around 14mpg towing figures with gas 1/2 tons due to engine mileage advancements. That is hard to beat. The final word is about the pickup. My Ford F150 is like a Lincoln that sits up high- very comfortable and quiet. When not towing I get 14 city 21 highway. A 1/2 ton truck can tow quite a rig. Just watch the payload. In may cases you do not need a large truck. I know, sounds awful but consider that my '09 Infiniti 7-spd G37 got 13 city 28 highway and was a small car AND  a Crown Victoria full sized car in the same year was rated 16/24. The pickup makes for a great homeowner's tool, everyday driver and RV tow vehicle. The 1/2 ton cannot tow most 5th wheels but the question would be, do you want to lug around a second house or do you want to explore the country. Are you going to go one place to stay the winter/summer or move around more? The explorer camper usually wants something smaller and simpler.

What a useful and RELEVANT thread!  We keep going back in forth between Class A + toad or Fifth Wheel + Truck.  Thanks to all the USEFUL information on here we're now leaning towards a Class A.  The car we recently bought (a preowned RAV4) already has the thing (what is it called??? LOL) that can attach to a motorhome.

To me it makes more sense to simply keep the RAV4 and attach it to a Class A than it would to sell the RAV4, buy a Fifth Wheel & buy a suitable pickup to tow it.  We have two young children so going Class A makes even MORE sense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom