Generator problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zukIzzy

I have a Guardian 55G built by Generac I believe that suddenly developed a horrible grinding noise while starting. I removed the gen set and disassembled it till I could get the starter out. The starter was in good condition the Bendix drive worked as it should but when I bench tested the starter it made the same horrible grinding noises and tried to shake itself out of the test stand. I disassembled the starter and found there to be no bushings in the end caps of the starter. Just steel on aluminum and they were assembled dry. I figured this was cause they were supposed to be a cheap throw away item but the cheapest I can find is a replacement or a bit over $400. :eek:

Is there a Generator guru in the house that can lend a bit of advise as to how to get a break on the price? or any suggestion at all :-\

Wayne

Send a PM to Benzman (his name is Michael Bonnville) he's the RV Forum's Industry Representative for Generac, he would know if anybody would.

thanks I will do that.

I was able to put a bit of grease in the well worn end caps and the starter worked OK to get us thru this weekend. but by the end of the day on sunday it was making the same noise but still turning the engine enough to start it. Hopefully I can get a replacement before the 21st which is our next race.

wayne

If you have a local shop that works on starters and alternators you may be able to find a bushing that can be used in the end plate.  It would sure beat a $400 starter.  I have also used Devcon Plastic Steel to make bushings.  It held up for quite a while.  I just cleaned out the bore with degreaser and greased the shaft lightly, lined the bore with Devcon and assembled.  After it cured i took it apart and cleaned up the excess and reassembled.

Wayne,  if the bushings in the end cap appear to be removeable/serviceable, I'd pursue that route.  If you can remove them and make accurate measurements of the outside and inside (would be the shaft diameter plus a few thousandanths clearance) dimensions and a length, I'll be glad to make you a pair for a heck of a lot less than 400 dollars.  If I had some bronze oilite material, I'd offer to do it for the grins, but I don't so some material would have to be purchased.

tennsmith said:
Wayne,  if the bushings in the end cap appear to be removeable/serviceable, I'd pursue that route.  If you can remove them and make accurate measurements of the outside and inside (would be the shaft diameter plus a few thousandanths clearance) dimensions and a length, I'll be glad to make you a pair for a heck of a lot less than 400 dollars.  If I had some bronze oilite material, I'd offer to do it for the grins, but I don't so some material would have to be purchased.

Thank you for the offer that in very nice of you. :D It takes a couple hours to remove the genset and strip it down to get to the starter so I have not done it again yet. There were no bushings in the end caps or I would have replaced them while I had it apart. Once I get a free moment I Will pull it again and see if I can over bore the caps on one of my mills and make some bushings on the lathe. My question was more of a time and OMG thing, I can make a lot more then $200 working a Saturday at my Hobby/2nd business race shop. So it would be worth my time to just by a new one for that, but for $400 plus the R&R time it is worth spending some time with.

FYI I got some good info from the members here but in the end I could not find much better deal on this particular starter.

Wayne

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom