adding bunk beds or bed loft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happy camper

Hi,

We are planning on purchasing a motorhome to live in and travel for at least a year.  We will have our three small children with us aged 5, 3 & 1.  The baby will be in bed with us.  We need a diesel and it looks like class A's are going to be our best bet in our price range.  We are looking at the early to mid 90's and I haven't seen any in our price range that come with bunks. I really want them to be able to have their own space and not have to fold out the couch every night.

I'm looking for photo's of remodels where they have added extra beds.  I'm thinking of possibly tearing out closet space and building bunks (they do not need to be full size beds because our children are still so small) or possibly a loft bed over the couch area. 

Has anyone seen something like this done.  We have not purchased a motorhome yet.  Still doing our research.  I originally wanted a class C so they could have the buck area.  I'm not finding too many class c diesels though.

Thanks for any help!

Can I ask why the requirement for a diesel?  There are several gas powered class A bunk house models that may be useful, but few if any diesel pusher chassis with bunks, particularly from that era. 

In theory, if you can build it, there is no limit to what you "can" do to an interior.  I would think about the future when you do build, i.e., will I have to replace this next year, or am I planning to sell the RV in the next few years.  If the answer to either question is yes, then you might want to think hard before you start tearing out cabinets :D

Diesel is a must because we plan on converting it to veggie oil.  ;D

Because we plan on living in it, we will be painting it and making other changes to make it "home" for us.  Tearing out cabinets is no big deal for us.  Just wondering if there are some photo's anywhere out there where this has been done.

Aha, that would explain it...have fun finding enough used cooking oil to power that puppy!!

As for the bunks, check out some of the school bus conversion websites (www.skoolie.net, and others).  Most projects on there are DIY, and many great ideas for beds/bunks etc.  Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom