Fishing the ocean and lakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wylie

Im looking forward to pulling a boat as I travel ,and fishing around the USA.  Im thinking of using a 23 foot carolina skiff, it is small enough for fresh water and in good weather can be  used in the ocean. What are your thoughts on this boat? I havnt bought it yet. Ive owned 14 ft boats for fresh water ,and rented 22ft  parker for use in the keys.Thats my extent of expierence in boating.Someone said boat may bounce around alot because its light in ocean. It weighs 3300lbs it doesnt seem that light to me. What are your thoughts ,I know some of you have alot of boating expierence. Thanks Larry.

I've never owned a skiff and, when I first read your message, I was thinking of a flats boat which probably wouldn't do well in the ocean. I've just looked at their web site, and it appears you might be talking about the DLV238 which appears to have something of a V-hull, but tough to tell from the photos.

BTW the weight of the DLV238 is 1916 lbs; The 3200 (3300?) lbs number is the total weight capacity, not the weight of the boat.

How the boat handles will be largely a function of sea conditions. Our 51' LOA boat weighs in around 50,000 lbs with full fuel tanks, and we've been in seas that pick it up and toss it around like a matchstick. OTOH if you take cognizance of seas and weather, the DLV238 would seem to be a great all-round boat for taking along. There are also countless small lakes and other inland waterways where you'll have lots of fun.

Safe boating, and don't forget the life preservers.

Tom that is the boat I was talking about the DLV 238. I plan on pulling it behind the truck with a  1191 lance truck camper. I would not go to gulf stream  ,but I would try going out 4or 5 miles in ocean. I plan on always having a marine radio ,and a e-pirb. It comes with a single engine ,I guess I should get a kicker motor. The dealer is trying to push a evenrude e-tech , which is a 2 stroke. What are your thoughts on this motor? I was planning on a 4 stroke.  He said no smoking or noise with the 2-stroke motor which sounds odd.  I wish I had your captain expierence ,that would give me alot of confidence. Wow that is a big boat to handle especially at docks ect. At one point I was set on a c-dory  cabin crusier which is set up to live on for short stays,maybee when I upgrade down the road.  Larry

Hi Larry,

I don't know much about that engine, but Evinrude has been making marine engines for a long time. In California, we can only buy 4-cycle engines for that purpose. I must admit that I like the Mercury outboard on my  bass boat; More reliable starting than the Yamaha outboard on the RIB tender for the large boat. Both are 4-cycle.

VHF radio and EPIRB are good investments if you're going to be in the ocean.

BTW my wife is at the helm of our large boat 90-95% of the time, and I get to do first mate and navigator duties.

Several years ago I purchased a 22.5 foot Edgwater center console to use in the Texas gulf.  It has a reasonable v bottom and makes a good boat for traveling 5-10 miles out. Unfortunately, it's not so good in the shallows (1-2 feet) which is where most of the fish are inside the bays. I ended up getting a 19 foot Mako with a much flatter bottom.  With a jackplate to lift the outboard, I can scoot around safely in 1.5 feet, and walk it around in less that a foot (after I run aground). Unless you are braver than I am, a combination bay/ocean boat just doesn't exist.

Just a thought on your kicker motor....It is a real possibility that states are getting away from two stroke motors. I know in CA there are some places where they don't allow them, and if you troll, you might want to use the kicker on lakes. I believe all the manufacturers are building 4-strokers now. I bought a 4 stroke 25 HP merc electric start last year and you can barely hear it run. Very happy with it.

wylie said:
  Somone said boat may bounce around a lot because its light in ocean. It weighs 3300lbs it doesnt seem that light to me.

The DLV looks like a good boat.  Tom's right about the weight.  Also, I would not believe the line on the info chart about the capacity being 16 people!  Ha!  I wouldn't go offshore with half that many folks aboard!

I'd keep away from the flat bottomed Skiffs.  I've owned several of the flat bottom Carolina Skiffs, bought one, and had several sponsored for my research (from 14'-24').  When I was an Assistant Warden at Exuma Park in The Bahamas, we used a 24' flat bottom skiff for a workboat, hauling goods and materials, and in fair weather it was fine. 

The problem with the flat bottom skiffs is that they are NOTORIOUS for turning turtle, so much so that I joked about painting "Other Side Up" on the bottom!  The good news is that they don't sink due to their flotation, however they will float just below the surface.

The flat bottom skifffs are touchy, especially in high speed turns.  The company, under new ownership since the days I used their Skiffs, has revamped their bottom design (small keels on each side of the boat) so that the flat bottom skiffs dig in a bit more resulting in more bite and less "slide."

Judging by what I read about the DLV238, I believe I would take it out in the Gulf Stream in fair weather, with no more than 4 people (ideally just 2), and with a kicker to get me home.  You mention going 4-5 miles offshore, if you're in South Florida 4-5 miles off IS in the Gulf Stream.

A 4-stroke engine is indeed quieter than a 2-stroke, doesn't smoke, and will get better fuel consumption...the trade-off is the weight and price, it is both heavier and pricier than a 2-stroke.

One thing I'd like to add, and I say this because I lost a friend for lack of this simple item, is a sea-anchor for a 23' vessel.  If you have a kicker you will have a better chance of getting in if the weather kicks up and if something should happen to your main engine.  However, with no kicker and the loss of an engine, your stern will turn toward the wind and seas which, if they build, may soon swamp your boat.  A small sea-anchor will keep your bow into the wind and seas, a life-saver that doesn't take up much room.  This simple device should be standard equipment on small offshore vessels.

Back
Top Bottom