We went to pick up the new Winnebago "View" MH and it was a mess!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayknee

We went 350 miles with our friends driving to pick up our new MH at the dealership. When we went over for the walk through the guy was just awful. We told him we had never owned a MH so would he please show us everything we needed to know.

First we looked at the outside...this is a new 2010 so naturally we expected it to be perfect. The decals were shredded on the front which really looked tacky, the entrance door had a big dent and scratch. The ladder on the back was missing and when I asked about it he said why; do you need one?  :mad:

We went inside and the fridge had a big "pimple" on the door insert, the black water sensor didn't work so we would need to return when the part came in, the radio/tv knob was reversed, there was water on the bathroom floor, and white dust everywhere on everything! The sales person told us we would have a full tank of fuel and we only got 1/2. This unit has every upgrade on it and it looked like it was used and abused for only having 1,400 miles.  :'(

We made note of all the things that needed repaired/replaced and drove off the lot. On the highway it was just so noisy we kept turning up the radio up to try to drown out all the rattling! When we got home we found a slide lock in a cabinet which the guy never told us about.

When we got home; I was in a combustible mode so I fired off an e-mail to the sales manager and he called and told me to bring it back when they had all the parts in and they would fill the tank for us. He appologised for all the things wrong and I told him someone should have called and given us an option whether to pick it up or wait until it was ready to be sold.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Thank goodness we have an authorized repair shop here in town so we won't have to go back after these items are taken care of.

Mine went off the lot with a couple of issues I was pretty unhappy about too, though it sounds like yours was in much rougher shape especially cosmetically. My advice to others who may find this thread in a pre-purchase or pre-pickup mode is to not leave the lot with it until it's right. It might be an inconvenience because you've traveled some distance or because you have some other rolling stock involved in a horse trade, but leaving the lot with problems brings its own set of inconveniences and it'll leave you grumpier about things for longer. As part of that, I'd be sure to let the salesman/manager know that the failure to have the unit prepped for sale has greatly inconvenienced me too.

We also drove some distance to give final approval and pick ours up.  The dealer had it washed and very clean.  The man that did the walk through was less than good.  After 45 years of RV's there wasn't a lot we found that was new.  But the questions I did have he was unable to answer.  The dealer did ask if we wanted to stay on a full hookup site at the dealer and check it out for a couple days.  We did that and they were very good.  Either the service manager or the salesman came out about 3 times each day to ask if anything needed their attention.  A few times we did have a few items the they sent a man right out to take care of any problem.  We did have one window the dealer said they would replace and an outside mirror, the dealer called and found the window would be a 2 week wait and the mirror a couple days so we headed on home on day 3.  Since we have found a couple more items and we will be on a 5 week run the end of May and I'm sure we will find more things to add to the list.  Then we are to return to the dealer in July to have things taken care of.   

jayknee said:
Thank goodness we have an authorized repair shop here in town so we won't have to go back after these items are taken care of.

That is very good news, or you'd be out a lot more time & fuel money to get things straight.  Honestly I'm not sure I would have even driven that rig off the lot.  Can you imagine if a car dealer tried to sell you a "new" car in that condition?  The only thing he'd see of me would be my rear end as I walked out.  I know there are pressures with all the planning, your friends being along, etc.  Just don't give up until every matter is attended to, and don't let them keep your RV for weeks/months waiting on parts either... another horror story I've read about with some other RVers in the past.

Those situations with inept salesmen kinda remind me of buying an automobile in the late 50's/early 60's versus today.  Back then, salesmen knew every engine combination, horsepower, transmission gear ratios, rear end ratios, trim options, etc.  Today, about all a salesman seems to be able to muster is a statement like, "You'll look good in that one"......kinda pathetic and this malady has pervaded the RV market as well.  The bottom line is that sales commission and everything else is just passing the time.

We purchased out bounder May 29th of last year & are SILL dealing with issues that the local dealership is screwing up.  If I had to do it over again I wouldn't sign the paperwork that I am buying it untill all the issues are fixed.  Tom Raper (dealership I purchased it from) have been horrible to deal with from day 1 & we had to get Fleetwood involved before anything is at least attempted to be corrected.

We only have to drive 40-60 miles (depending on which T. Raper we go to) but it's still a PITA & costs a few a few dollars in fuel to get there.

From what I dealt with & am still dealing with..... if I was in your shoe's I would take it back & buy one somewhere else.

Well Jayknee, look at the bright side the sales manager did call you back. I have to agree with others, I would not have taken delivery but I understand the inconvenience to you. On a 03 spanking new Horizon it too me about three years to get it right. Good Luck

All too common an occurrence, I'm sad to say. It doesn't happen to everyone, or even many, but it is something that we hear fairly often and there is NO EXCUSE for it. Inept management, shoddy salesmanship, and an all around poor show.

I had a similar experience with a coach that was not manifestly ready for delivery, but it was at a top notch dealer and they moved heaven and earth to fix things on the spot. Plus, as experienced RV buyers, we had planned to stay overnight at the dealership (something that a good dealer will encourage and provide as a free service). It grieves me to have to say that this happened at a reputable dealer, but to me it demonstrates that even good dealers can let major things fall through the cracks. Your best [only?] protection is to plan on staying til it is right.  As others have already said, it is less inconvenient to get it taken care of before you drive away than it is to fight for repairs afterward and make repeated trips back to the dealer.

At least the sales manager seems to be trying to make it right, but the proof will be in the results. They already welshed on their initial promises to you.

My advice to others who may find this thread in a pre-purchase or pre-pickup mode is to not leave the lot with it until it's right.

It's too late for Jayknee to take this advice but I absolutely agree with it.  Do not give them that check until the walkthrough is completed and the issues are addressed.  And do not leave their lot until you are reasonably sure they are doing what they should do to make your experience positive.  As others said, it's a good idea to plan on staying a day or two to make sure everything works.  Reputable dealers should encourage you to do so.

Jayknee, hang in there and be persistent.  They never should have presented a new coach in that condition.  It should have been sparkling clean and all the cosmetic things fixed before your arrival.  I have to ask for the benefit of others who are new at RV purchasing - did you buy it sight unseen, such as over the internet?  Any such purchase should be conditional on your final approval and I wouldn't pay them a dime until it was what I was led to expect.  I'm sorry your first purchase is negative and hope it will end up better in the long run.

ArdraF

tennsmith said:
Those situations with inept salesmen kinda remind me of buying an automobile in the late 50's/early 60's versus today.  Back then, salesmen knew every engine combination, horsepower, transmission gear ratios, rear end ratios, trim options, etc.  Today, about all a salesman seems to be able to muster is a statement like, "You'll look good in that one"......

They usually tell me "Plenty of room in there for your golf clubs".  I HATE golf.  Sigh.

To answer the OP's question, I have never had that experience and I'm sorry to hear of yours.  That would upset me pretty much.  Should NOT happen.

Buying our current MH (a 2008 Journey 39z) new was a typical experience. Everything was immaculate and working; and the tech who did the walk-though with me carefully explained everything (even though I had owned Winnie Class A's before, I wanted to hear about everything as if as I was first time MH owner).  He was very knowledgable and the took all the time I wanted to answer questions.  If I had a problem or question on the road (rare), I've called him and he led me though the process step-by-step of identifying and fixing the problem.  Not easy, as I am not much of a mechanic.

When we picked up our Navion iQ earlier this year, it was a great experience. We took the Sun Coast RV in Calera, AL offer for an overnight. That definitely worked better for us as this is our first MH. The technical folks went out of there way to explain everything and fortunately nothing needed repair, which is what a brand new RV SHOULD be like! I agree with another poster's "never leave the lot" with things not as you want them. I would have to get Winnebago corporate involved in this as it's also their reputation being impacted. The quality of our unit was exceptional and I would expect no less from the View!

Good luck!

howdymi said:
We also drove some distance to give final approval and pick ours up.  The dealer had it washed and very clean.
Welcome aboard!

We bought our Horizon from Lazydays and it was prepped very, very well.  Full tank of diesel, propane, clean inside and out and we had an excellent walk-through.  No drama in the purchase or delivery areas.

scottydl said:
and don't let them keep your RV for weeks/months waiting on parts either... another horror story I've read about with some other RVers in the past.
I resemble that remark. That's what I was getting at when I said that leaving with problems will leave you grumpier down the road. My new Winnie spent about 4 of the first 12 months I owned it sitting at the dealer. And for the most part I think the problems were with getting parts (and the right parts) in a timely fashion from Winnebago. The dealer technicians have shown some ignorance (like testing house batteries and telling me they were OK when they each had dead cells, running the slides with the engine off, telling me you can't run both air conditioners at the same time), but on balance, my dealer has stepped up and worked with me. I have less good to say about my contacts with Winnebago as a corporate entity. ???

tennsmith said:
Those situations with inept salesmen kinda remind me of buying an automobile in the late 50's/early 60's versus today.  Back then, salesmen knew every engine combination, horsepower, transmission gear ratios, rear end ratios, trim options, etc.
Reminds me of a fun experience we had with a salesman back in the early '90s. He must have been pretty fresh off the boat. He had a pretty thick Eastern Bloc accent and knew nothing about cars. We were looking at a group of Camrys. I asked if they were 4-cyl or V6. He said "3-cylinder, 4-cylinder; we have whatever you want." Hm. OK, do they have anti-lock brakes. "Anti-lock brakes, air brakes; we have whatever you want." OK, dude, I'd like a 3-cylinder with air brakes. ;D Funny thing was, he was a very successful salesman. He was very likable and nonthreatening. He probably did well because most people felt like he couldn't be scamming them because they knew more than he did.

John Mo said:
K, dude, I'd like a 3-cylinder with air brakes.

Haha, must have been a special edition Camry only offered for a limited time.  ;)  Reminds me of this scene from the "Zohan" movie.  Not really a good film overall but I laugh out loud at that depiction.

To the OP, have you been in contact with the dealer and what's their response to your RV's various issues?

John Mo said:
And for the most part I think the problems were with getting parts (and the right parts) in a timely fashion from Winnebago.

Winnebago is very, very good at doing the right thing (whatever that is) the first time, but they don't always perform at 100%.  We have had experiences with the wrong part thing.  Parts not on time?  Never an issue with that in our experience assuming it is something they carry in inventory.  If the part happens to be a window or some major component like a Norcold cooling unit, chances are good it will not be in stock.  Carrying inventory is extremely expensive so managing their inventory to appropriate levels is a prudent business decision and I for one want Winne to be a viable business for a very long time.

Hard to believe Winnebago would let a Coach go out the door at their factory in that condition! I wonder about the dealer too.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom