top 10 spot in WA state

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dgs119

Looking for the top 10 must see spots in WA state.    Will be traveling in a 25 ft motorhome with 2 young boys 7/5.    There are so many spots to camp in WA I figured I would solicit some help.  :D

Thanks,

Mt St Helens National volcanic Monument, Mt Rainier, San Juan islands, Columbia River, while technically not in WA state the water falls on the Oregon side are worth the trip.  Grand Coulee, Seattle waterfront and the fish market, original Starbucks.  While not ten it is a good start.

thanks for the suggestions.  I also was wondering if you had any recomdations on where to camp?

I'll add Whidby Island, Annacortres,  the North Cascades Loop US 20 over the Cascades to Winthrop, a summer cow town resort area, down to Wanatchee and US 2 to Leavenworth and over Stevens Pass back to Seattle. There are several good campgrounds: Fidalago Bay at Annacortes, Riverbend south of Winthrop in Twist, Wenatchee River County Park in Cashmere, and Icicle River in Leavenworth.

Sternwheeler 5 hr cruise including Bonneville lock out of Cascade Locks OR. The KOA is decent.

Whidby island and ferry to Port Townsend. Great CG at marina at east edge of downtown.

If you don't mind dry camping for at least one night, Nisan Creek federal campground near Lake Wenatchee is excellent.  We stopped there after staying at another campground in the area last weekend.  Most of the sites are pull through and most are right on the river.  The sound of the river and the view right out the door is amazing.  It's a great place for kids to play and explore. 

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/recreation/wenatchee-river/campgrounds/

River Bend just north of Twisp is a great campground too.  It's also right on the river.  The owners take great care of the campground and maintain a peaceful environment.  It's clearly not a place for those who want to party all night.  We like that.  It's next to Hwy 20, but the river takes out the sound of passing cars. We loved Winthrop and Twisp so much when visited from Oregon a couple of years ago, that we know live in Winthrop. 

Pearrygin Lake State Park campground near Winthrop is also excellent.  I suggest the East A and B loops.

https://secure.camis.com/WA/PearryginLakeStatePark

My favorite spot is Goodell Creek Campground at North Cascades National Park. 20 spaces and in July I have been there and been the only one there. Usually there are 4 or 5 others. Non-hookup spots right on the Skagit River at $10 per night.

Don't miss Olympia National Park, especially Hurricane Ridge and the Ho rain forest.  We like the public campgrounds at Crescent Lake and Kalalloch (sp!) Beach.  No hookups, but beautiful sites.

Jeannine

i'm with robroy...

Deception Pass State Park (north end of Whidbey Island) is one the finest places in WA - it is great park

We plan to do the Olympic Peninsula this fall (and expect it to be great!)

peter

WOW thanks for the great tips and extra help.  Time to get out there and explore the great state of WA!!!! 

Hope you have a great trip! As of now the Pacific Northwest is the front runner for our summer 2011 road trip. I hope you post about your trip.  My boys will be 7/5 in 2011.

The Cape Flattery trail located on the Makah Indian Reservation in the far NW corner of the Olympic Peninsula is really neat.  It's an easy trail about a half mile long that goes out to an overlook on the point of the Cape that looks out to the lighthouse on Tatoosh Island.  We lived on the Peninsula for a few years and never visited that spot until last year.  It's really beautiful.  You have to stop at the store in Neah Bay and obtain an entrance permit to drive out on the reservation.  There is also an RV park at Hobuck beach on the pacific side of the reservation. 

www.parks.wa.gov is the state website for site information and reservations (recomended in the summer)

Back
Top Bottom