RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 8-15, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ed, it's too bad you won't be able to make it.  Maybe next time!  Yes, I'm sure there will be plenty of commentary and photos.

ArdraF

Echoing Betty's "huh?" Is there supposed to be "cancel" somewhere in that sentence?

Wendy

Ed, Sorry you and Donna won't be in Moab this year. On the other hand, this means the weather should be spectacular :)

Wendy

The pin is in the wrong place on that map. Come down to the second driveway below the pin and follow the driveway into the park,

Tom,

OK, I found it.  It must still be an old photo because when I compare it to the campground site map it looks like the South Side (Ownership Section) is missing.  I guess the park was a work in progress when that picture was taken.

Mike Wagner

The Google photo is very old - taken before the changes started in the park.  The original roads are in the old section, but that big empty area is where people used to dry camp.  It is now the new section with new roads, swimming pool, koi pond, etc.

ArdraF

This is the second odd thing I've found about Portal.  I have the latest version of Trailer Life Directory Campground Navigator & Portal RV Park doesn't show up.  It is in Streets & Trips. 

Not all campgrounds choose to pay to be listed in the directories.

That's interesting Ned.  I didn't realize the campgrounds had to pay to be listed.  I was naive enough to believe that I was paying Trailer Life to compile a complete list of campgrounds.  I guess I live in a dream world sometimes. 

I just checked AAA & they don't include Portal either.

There is no free advertising :)  Even those signs at the highway exits are paid for by the campgrounds.  Not all want to pay for that if they can fill their sites without it.

ceemike said:
That's interesting Ned.  I didn't realize the campgrounds had to pay to be listed.  I was naive enough to believe that I was paying Trailer Life to compile a complete list of campgrounds.  I guess I live in a dream world sometimes. 

I just checked AAA & they don't include Portal either.

Google the area you want to visit and you can stop paying for campground books. :)

I understand about paying for advertising, but if TL is including only the CGs that "pay to play" then I think TL should make that very clear to people who buy their program.  I paid $40 for a program that I thought was as complete a list as possible of campgrounds.  I also bought it because I thought it would be a very easy way to find campgrounds all along a route that I created, which it looks like it is, instead of Googling a series of points along the route.

Several weeks ago I found out about an addition for Microsoft Streets & Trips 2010 called the POI Megafile that I downloaded from www.laptopgpsworld.com .  It has many different categories of POIs & if I had known about that I'm not sure I'd have bought the TL program.

OTOH, Portal may not be the best CG to use to evaluate TLDCN because I checked a POI file of campgrounds that I downloaded to my GPS from POI Factory & Portal isn't in that database either.  I don't think CGs need to pay to be included in the POI file.  Most of the other Moab area CGs are in that database.

I wonder if Portal no longer advertises because they've become an ownership campground?  A lot of that type are not in any of the directories.  Portal certainly was in the TL directory before the new owners decided to sell the lots.  But, Mike, there's no such thing as a totally complete directory of anything!  Things change too much and too fast these days for anyone to keep up and it applies to everything, not just campgrounds.  That said, the TL directory probably is the most complete one on the market in my opinion.  We've spoken with many campground owners who asked us which directory we use because they could no longer afford to advertise in all of them and needed to choose one directory that would make their advertising dollars count the most.

ArdraF

Interestingly, we just spent a week in a park in Amado, AZ, that is listed in TLD and even offers the Good Sam discount but they don't have a sign at the exit ramp.  The campground next door has a sign at the ramp but is not listed in TLD.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom